carbs

  • brett peavey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hello group, I have an 88 535i-has anyone tried putting carbs on these
      things? I got a redneck trying to convince me to do it, i trust my forum
      here to get a good answer

      thanks all

      brett--

    • Matt Rees
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
        I can't blame you for wanting to do it, I prefer carbs to injection any day, especially twin choke webbers.Apart from the obvious problems like linkages for throttle etc, & manifold, you have the fact that the 3.5 engine runs on motronic, which controls the ignition timing, so you'd have to sort that out.Also fuel pressure, you would have to do away with the high pressure fuel pump & replace it with a normal electric lift pump, which would also require it's electrical feed from the ignition, as it will be fed from the motronic ECU at the moment.It's do'able, but lots of fiddly little problems to be sorted.Good luck, & let us know what it's like if you are successful.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
          I completely missed the blindingly obvious solution, get the manifold from an older m30 engine, one which ran on carbs (e12???). Still need to sort fuel pump & ignition, but that would make life simpler. Just avoid solex carbs, they're shit IMO

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
            I was going to go with 3/ 2 barrell webers.......will the e12 manifold match
            up?

            On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Matt Rees <nutgone@...> wrote:

            > I completely missed the blindingly obvious solution, get the manifold from
            > an older m30 engine, one which ran on carbs (e12???). Still need to sort
            > fuel pump & ignition, but that would make life simpler. Just avoid solex
            > carbs, they're shit IMO
            >

            > --- On Thu, 3/6/10, brett peavey <brettpv9@...<brettpv9%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: brett peavey <brettpv9@... <brettpv9%40gmail.com>>
            > Subject: [bmw e28] carbs
            > To: bmwe28@... <bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk>
            > Date: Thursday, 3 June, 2010, 23:32
            >

            > Hello group, I have an 88 535i-has anyone tried putting carbs on these
            >
            > things? I got a redneck trying to convince me to do it, i trust my forum
            >
            > here to get a good answer
            >
            > thanks all
            >
            > brett--

          • Matt Rees
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
              Sorry, I can't help you there. I know very little about e12's. I'm actually getting rid of my e28, in favour of my new toy, a 1973 "2002 touring". One of the main reasons I've gone for the older car is to get away from that pesky fuel injection system, I had the 525e (called a 528e in the US) with the first generation motronic system, what a pain in the arse that was when it went wrong! The '02 even has a manual choke (US translation=strangler?), which suits me just fine!