drive shaft noise

  • primetime_99_12729
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
      exactly where is flex disc located on bmw 528e
    • Geisler Mark
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
        between the drive shaft and transmission

        ________________________________
        exactly where is flex disc located on bmw 528e

      • Realty617
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
          In the drive shaft.

          Sent from a mobile device, please excuse any mistakes.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
            are these flex disc on all models 528e auto and stadard transmissions ??

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
              You know, I am not 100% sure. But I remember a flex disc that connects the drive
              shaft to the trans, I suppose it could be different on yours.

              ________________________________
              exactly where is flex disc located on bmw 528e

            • AtokEle
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                you mean... coupling...

              • primetime_99_12729@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                  i checked my 528e its the driveshaft support  ruuber is shot i removed heatshield to see it just wandering can i replace it by dropping shaft w/o removing exhuast plz let me know

                  You know, I am not 100% sure. But I remember a flex disc that connects the drive
                  shaft to the trans, I suppose it could be different on yours.

                  ________________________________
                  exactly where is flex disc located on bmw 528e

                • gabu mohlahledi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12, 2010
                    Yes the drive shaft can be removed without removing the exhaust, you must dismantle it from the final drive/diff although

                  • genem2000
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 13, 2010
                      I haven't replaced a center support bearing or driveshaft on a 528e but I have on a 535is, 633, 635 and 733. You may have more clearance between your exhaust and driveshaft on the 528e, especially if you do not have the stock cat and exhaust.

                      The first time I did the replacement, I tried to do it without removing the exhaust, but it became clear that the exhaust had to at least be lowered in the front to drop the driveline with the center support bearing.

                      Ever since, I have removed the exhaust to get it out of the way and have clearance on both sides of the car. I put all four corners up on old rims to get a stable set up with access all around, and this frees up the floor jack to help lower and lift the exhaust.

                      I think you are going to find that the dust shields on the front u-joint will be dried and cracked and is binding at least on one axis, and your splines may be worn. And it's usually a good time to replace the guibo and the mounting hardware. That's why I started buying the entire driveline from the dealer since it comes with everything and it will be balanced, and the cost isn't much more than getting a rebuilt once you figure in shipping costs and add the cost of a guibo and mounting hardware.

                      If you go with replacing just the center support bearing, make sure you have a good parts supplier who will get you the correct one.

                      You should have a Bentley's E28 manual and the proper tools before attempting this job. BMW exhausts and drivelines are not easily removed. Also, if you don't align the splines properly and preload the center support bearing, you may get a driveline vibration.

                      Gene M.

                      yes correct its center support is shot can i replace by removing shaft w/o removing exhuast

                      It sounds to me like you are talking about the rubber surround on the driveshaft center support bearing.
                      Do you have a Bentley's E28 manual?
                      Gene M.
                    • AtokEle
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 15, 2010