Clutch information

  • jve55
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2010
      Anyone have any information on the clutch system? Seems that I have lost all pressure in mine. The car is an '88 M5. Am I correct in that the clutch system is the same as all other E28 series?

      Are there any manuals online or in print that can assist in determining what has failed? My thinking is the master cylinder is culprit, but I would like to start with manual before I take her apart.

    • oneshot179@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2010
        its a piece of piss

        id change the slave cylinder 1st on the gear box its cheaper

        then if thats no better

        the master cylinder

      • doug
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2010
          I agree. I rebuilt the slave and it still sucked (air), so I replaced it
          with a new one. I sold the car before I had to change the master. Its easier
          to bleed the slave BEFORE putting back on the car, as the bleed nipple can
          be positioned at the highest point.

          I also managed to break the plastic nipple off the master when replacing the
          hose, but it's a cheap art, even from the dealer. Or was.

          Regards,

          doug
          Waterloo, Ontario Canada, eh

          86 951
          (http://www.pcaucr.org/index.php/visuals/photos?func=viewcategory&catid=61)
          01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon
          (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1417557-drl-diy-anybody-do-2.h
          tml)
          00 540i-6 (http:// www.trillium-bmwclub.ca/forum/post.jsp?postid=1916)
          94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
          85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
          76 300D (sold in 92)
          83 944 (sold in 86)
          I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
        • genem2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2010
            Does your clutch pedal stay down on the floor? Have you tried bleeding the air out of the system? An intermittent dead clutch pedal is not uncommon and will many times get corrected by re-bleeding the system.

            Here is what you are in for if you want to change the m/c.

            http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Tranny_Clutch.html#anchor1066306

            Also check to make sure your clutch pedal bracket has not cracked.

            Gene M.