1988 headlights

  • brett peavey
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2010
      hey guys, i dont know what happened to my low beams? my driver side works,
      no passanger side, i have power at the fuse but no power at the socket. i
      tried running another line from the driver side to the passenger side and
      the passenger side turns on but shuts off the driver side....if i hook the
      passenger side directly to the battery, it will turn on the passenger lamp
      but also turn off the driver lamp. any ideas?

    • Jerry Roberson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2010
        There are separate high and low beam relays, in addition to the fuses.

        On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM, brett peavey <brettpv9@...> wrote:

        > hey guys, i dont know what happened to my low beams? my driver side works,
        > no passanger side, i have power at the fuse but no power at the socket. i
        > tried running another line from the driver side to the passenger side and
        > the passenger side turns on but shuts off the driver side....if i hook the
        > passenger side directly to the battery, it will turn on the passenger lamp
        > but also turn off the driver lamp. any ideas?

        Thanx,
        Jerry Roberson

        The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to
        accomplish the object on which his heart is set.
        - James Allen

      • brett peavey
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2010
          correct, there are seperate low/high beam relays and I have swapped
          them out and have had the same issue

          On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Jerry Roberson <jeyroberson@...> wrote:
          > There are separate high and low beam relays, in addition to the fuses.
          >
          > On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM, brett peavey <brettpv9@...> wrote:
          >

          >> hey guys, i dont know what happened to my low beams? my driver side works,
          >> no passanger side, i have power at the fuse but no power at the socket. i
          >> tried running another line from the driver side to the passenger side and
          >> the passenger side turns on but shuts off the driver side....if i hook the
          >> passenger side directly to the battery, it will turn on the passenger lamp
          >> but also turn off the driver lamp. any ideas?

          > --
          > Thanx,
          > Jerry Roberson
          >
          > The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to
          > accomplish the object on which his heart is set.
          > - James Allen

        • Jeff Schlenker
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2010
            Ground Gremlin. Make sure you got good grounds to the relay and light.
            (Probably ground to the relay). This is common on older VW's and BMW's.