Gall on Aspen, Populus tremula

  • mothman45uk
    Message 1 of 4 , 31 Aug

    I photographed this gall back on 25th May 2014 here in Portsmouth, SU678002. Using Redfern (2002) I keyed it down to Aceria dispar. As the book described it as rare, I emailed the photo to someone in BGS for confirmation but got no response. So I've got round at last to revisiting he query.

    Ian Thirlwell

  • Brian Wurzell
    Message 2 of 4 , 31 Aug
      Dear Ian,

      Nice pic. I agree that this is caused by the eriophyid mite Aceria dispar. I have seen this striking Aspen gall twice only, both in the Lee Valley Park, East London. Firstly at the former gunpowder works near Waltham Abbey in 1990, secondly near the South Ranger Base, Waterworks Nature Reserve in 2007.

      I think "rare" is a fair national assessment. A. dispar seems to affect single isolated trees only, although the deformities its colonies cause may be plentiful and conspicuous on any chosen tree.

      Brian.

      [Attachment(s) from i.thirlwell@... [british_galls] included below]

      Message 3 of 4 , 31 Aug
        Thanks Brian. Interestingly this was not an isolated tree. There is a 'stand' of aspen along a shoreline path near me in SE Portsmouth, overlooking Langstone Harbour. Entomologically the trees have proved disappointing, eg with no sign so far of moth larval feeding. This find of A. dispar was therefore unusual.
        Ian
      • Margaret Redfern