1403learn more about early Irish harp

  • Historical Harp Society of Ireland
    Jul 15, 2014
      A chara,
      Would you like to learn more about the old Gaelic harp traditions, which flourished for 1000 years? To discover what music the Irish harpers played and sang? How they tuned their harps in medieval Ireland and Wales? How they played in different keys without any levers or pedals? How the earliest Irish harps were designed and made? And what was done to preserve the Irish harp and the old Irish airs when it started dying out in the early 19th century?
      These are just a few of the questions, the answers to which will be revealed this August in Kilkenny at Scoil na gCláirseach—Summer School of Early Irish Harp 2014, Ireland (and the world's!) only summer school dedicated exclusively to Ireland's oldest instrument.
      Scoil na gCláirseach offers much more besides: week-long intensive harp tuition, exclusive daily concerts by some of the world's foremost historical harpists, harp and sean-nós song workshops, masterclasses, talks and lectures.
      To facilitate all our students, for the first time this year we will have extra national, and international, teaching staff: Armagh-based early Irish harpist Sylvia Crawford joins us for the first time; Dr. Andrew Lawrence-King (Guernsey) will be with us for the first three days, Javier Sáinz (Spain) will be joining us for the final three; and Ann Heymann (USA), Siobhán Armstrong (IRL) and Simon Chadwick (Scotland) will be our resident staff tutors, as always.
      To see our full timetable of concerts, lectures and other events, please visit http://www.irishharpschool.com/timetable.htm
      You can join Scoil na gCláirseach as a player (beginners especially welcome) or attend for a day or two (or more) as an auditor; there are still a few places remaining if you want to come to join us in Kilkenny 13th-19th August.
      For bookings, please visit http://www.irishharpschool.com/booking.htm