574Re: tiompan again

  • Edgar Peters
    Jan 26, 2007
      There was also an article a while ago about musical instruments in a
      church that were being played by angels. Evidently it turned out
      that the instruments were real after someone examined the statues
      for cleaning I believe. Interestingly, the harp had brass strings.
      The fact that the bass strings were twisted wire implied that the
      strings weren't wire just because it was a statue. I seem to
      remember that the harps were small and from the 14th century or so.
      It seemed to indicate that wire strung harps were also played on the
      continent. I also seem to remember that the instruments had labels
      that corresponded with someone who made relatively cheap instruments
      for the masses.

      Anyone else hear about this?

      Ed Peters

      --- In clairseach@..., "ckeithcollins"
      <ckeithcollins@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Alasdair and Keith S for your input. Keith, I have in fact
      > read the Buckley paper. A good article, although I rather wish
      > she'd included the images she mentions. They're to be found
      > elsewhere, but not easily. The "stone images" pages on Simon's
      > site, and clarsach.net, are very convenient.
      >
      > I recently stumbled on a web page for an instrument who builds
      > rotes. One of the rotes he builds is based on an original from a
      6-
      > 7th century warrior's grave in the Black Forest. The page states
      > that this "Germanic" rote was strung with wire, and he
      specifically
      > mentions bronze (his Sutton Hoo and Prittlewell rotes are strung
      > with gut). He cites "an old English book describing the history
      of
      > stringed instruments"; maybe he means the Galpin book "Old English
      > Instruments of Music"?
      >
      > http://www.cooginstruments.com/Rotes.htm
      >
      > Does this ring any bells out there? Lyres/rotes on the continent
      > strung with metal? I'm working from the possibility that early
      > references to tiompan indicate a plucked metal-strung lyre (and
      > later a bowed lyre). If lyres were (occasionally?) wire-strung on
      > the continent, then does that mean that a wire-strung lyre-like
      > tiompan in the Isles wasn't such an anomaly? I was under the
      > impression that when the medieval writers mention metal strings it
      > is because they are unusual. Or perhaps this "warrior" was from
      > across the Channel... makes one wonder what else was in that
      > burial. I'll have to do some digging!
      >
      > Keith Collins

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic