847Re: A Belgrade made harp and more

  • Jean-Luc Coulon
    Apr 14, 2008
      Hi Chad, Joe,

      Thank you for all these informations.

      Joe was saying:
      >good trees in Ireland in 1600 and gone in 1650) so from this date on
      a "dug-out" style construction Harp Body was rether difficult to
      achieve. From this date on, only the "Box" Body would have been easy
      to achieve.<

      So this means, I suppose, that soundboxes made of planks instead of
      hollowed was a consequence to the lack of trees.

      I can understand bogwood could have been used to make harps body. But
      it is as easy to hollow it as a willow timber.

      So I think the availability of wood and the way the soundboxes are
      made are not tightly related.

      Jean-Luc

      --- In clairseach@..., Chad McAnally <chadmcanally@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Jean Luc,
      >
      > Yes, there certainly were many useful trees that weren't plundered
      by the British Navy to build warships left in Ireland. The bigger
      problem is that many of the Irish during the 17th-18th centuries lost
      all rights to land usage. Not only could they not profit from living
      off the land (via farming) but couldn't harvest what was already
      there, like trees. What we now call "timber and mineral rights" to the
      land were held by new landlords and those who co-operated with them
      (or forced to do so for mere survival.)

      > The prevailing theory is that this encouraged the use of bogwood in
      Ireland for making everyday items including harps. Bogwood was
      considered worthless by most land owners of the ascendancy, and if
      their tenets took it there was nothing lost in their minds. Falling a
      tree was equal to property theft at the time and therefore punishable.
      Those wishing to use new timber had to acquire it with the permission
      of their landlords or buy it directly from them. This varied from area
      to area, lord to lord some being more lax in enforcing land policy,
      others agressively following it.

      > Chad
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic