Cruit go nÓr

  • Simon Chadwick
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 6, 2006
      Hello all, I hope you are all greedily clutching your copies of Cruit
      go nÓr by now!!! If not why not? :-) I apologise if some of you never
      got my latest Emporium update - problems with email at this end.
      Anyway for more info see the emporium at www.earlygaelicharp.info/
      emporium or the harp of Gold website at www.harpofgold.net

      Hoping that there'll be some interesting opinions on it here soon...

      Simon
    • ckeithcollins
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
        Hi gang!

        I wrote a few comments on the wire harp list. Rather than cross-post,
        go ye and read if you're so inclined!

        In a nutshell, the new recording is fantastic :)

        best,
        Keith

        --- In clairseach@..., Simon Chadwick <simon@...> wrote:

        > Hello all, I hope you are all greedily clutching your copies of Cruit
        > go n�r by now!!! If not why not? :-) I apologise if some of you never
        > got my latest Emporium update - problems with email at this end.
        > Anyway for more info see the emporium at www.earlygaelicharp.info/
        > emporium or the harp of Gold website at www.harpofgold.net
        >
        > Hoping that there'll be some interesting opinions on it here soon...
        >
        > Simon

      • janet_kurnick
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 10, 2006
          I'll second Keith's comments - the recording is fantastic! This is a
          must have for wire harpers! - Janet in Sacramento
          > I wrote a few comments on the wire harp list. Rather than cross-post,
          > go ye and read if you're so inclined!
          >
          > In a nutshell, the new recording is fantastic :)
          >
          > best,
          > Keith
        • Simon Chadwick
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006
            Hi all, I was just listening again to Airrgeann Mór - I was suddenly
            really impressed by some of the evil sounds that Ann was making. This
            is something to work on to keep the "pretty" comments at bay I think

            Simon

            On 10 Nov 2006, at 17:09, janet_kurnick wrote:

            > I'll second Keith's comments - the recording is fantastic! This is a
            > must have for wire harpers! - Janet in Sacramento
            >> I wrote a few comments on the wire harp list. Rather than cross-
            >> post,
            >> go ye and read if you're so inclined!
            >>
            >> In a nutshell, the new recording is fantastic :)
            >>
            >> best,
            >> Keith
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Edgar Peters
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006
              Yes. Such fire and drama in the recording. Ann shows us the
              instrument's possibilities again.

              Ed Peters

              wrote:

              > Hi all, I was just listening again to Airrgeann Mór - I was
              suddenly
              > really impressed by some of the evil sounds that Ann was making.
              This
              > is something to work on to keep the "pretty" comments at bay I
              think

              > Simon
              >

              > On 10 Nov 2006, at 17:09, janet_kurnick wrote:
              >
              > > I'll second Keith's comments - the recording is fantastic! This
              is a
              > > must have for wire harpers! - Janet in Sacramento
              > >> I wrote a few comments on the wire harp list. Rather than
              cross-
              > >> post,
              > >> go ye and read if you're so inclined!
              > >>
              > >> In a nutshell, the new recording is fantastic :)
              > >>
              > >> best,
              > >> Keith
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Chad McAnally
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2006

                Amongst the things that I love about these early harps; how the range of sounds they produce shatters the misconception of the harp as cute "tinkling toys" or that they are somehow very limited instruments. The clairsearch is well said to be "the Queen of Music" and her's is the voice of a warrior queen indeed. No better demonstration could be asked for than this album.

                Charlie Heymann's singing of the Gaelic poetry on this album should be singled out for high praise as well. "Sith Co Nemh" and the other poems spring to life. We harpers owe him much for his tireless research and immense talent.

                Chad McAnally

                From: "Edgar Peters" <epeters@...>
                To: clairseach@...
                Subject: [clairseach] Re: Cruit go n���r
                Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:05:45 -0000

                --- In clairseach@yahoogro ups.co.uk, Simon Chadwick <simon@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi all, I was just listening again to Airrgeann M�r - I was
                suddenly
                > really impressed by some of the evil sounds that Ann was making.
                This
                > is something to work on to keep the "pretty" comments at bay I
                think

                > Simon
                >

                > On 10 Nov 2006, at 17:09, janet_kurnick wrote:
                >
                > > I'll second Keith's comments - the recording is fantastic! This
                is a
                > > must have for wire harpers! - Janet in Sacramento
                > >> I wrote a few comments on the wire harp list. Rather than
                cross-
                > >> post,
                > >> go ye and read if you're so inclined!
                > >>
                > >> In a nutshell, the new recording is fantastic :)
                > >>
                > >> best,
                > >> Keith
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Simon Chadwick
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 16, 2006
                  Hi Chad,

                  I agree, it is great that the songs are actually sung on the CD as
                  well as just played in instrumental versions.

                  A right challenge for all of us, to find ourselves a singer each!

                  I also think that it is slightly worrying that Ann is in such a
                  league of her own, leaving us all scrabbling around in her dust.

                  Simon
                • Chad McAnally
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 16, 2006

                    A challege indeed! Yet, as high as Ann has set the bar for us mere mortals, I think her recordings should be looked upon as something for us to aspire to.

                    Now finding good sean-nos singers...that might prove difficult, especially here in the States. Perhaps the international laws on cloning could be relaxed enough to clone Charlie, Alastair and Brid so we'd all have a singer to work with!

                    Chad McAnally

                    From: Simon Chadwick <simon@...>
                    To: clairseach@...
                    Subject: Re: [clairseach] Return of the Sith? (co nemh...)
                    Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:39:47 +0000

                    Hi Chad,

                    I agree, it is great that the songs are actually sung on the CD as
                    well as just played in instrumental versions.

                    A right challenge for all of us, to find ourselves a singer each!

                    I also think that it is slightly worrying that Ann is in such a
                    league of her own, leaving us all scrabbling around in her dust.

                    Simon

                  • Peter Wilson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 16, 2006
                      Speaking of Queen bees and mere mortals, here's a "killer" bee story
                      that was handed to me at dinner tonight about a computer foul-up over
                      the phrase, "the queen", at the Reuters wire service:

                      "With its highly evolved social structure of tens of thousands of
                      worker bees commanded by Queen Elizabeth, the honeybee genome could
                      also improve the search for genes linked to social behaviour...Queen
                      Elizabeth has 10 times the lifespan of workers and lays up to 2,000
                      eggs a day."

                      Hmm... she does have *our* harp on *her* royal standard...hmm...

                      Peter Wilson
                    • Simon Chadwick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 8, 2007
                        If you hadn't heard, Ann Heymann's CD will be on Peadar O'Riada's
                        radio show in Ireland on Friday, February 9 at 7:00pm Irish time. You
                        can listen to the stream at http://www.rte.ie/rnag/
                        cuireadhchunceoil.html

                        Copies available from the usual sources

                        Simon

                        Simon Chadwick's Early Gaelic Harp Emporium
                        http://www.earlygaelicharp.info/emporium/
                      • Alasdair Codona
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 10, 2007
                          Dear Simon,

                          Thanks for the link

                          http://www.rte.ie/rnag/cuireadhchunceoil.html

                          Peadar really went to town on the album, didn't he, saying it was
                          extremely interesting and that he really liked it and playing four
                          tracks off it. He also made repeated efforts to explain what the
                          instrument was and passed on information about the tunes and lyrics.
                          He also gave out Ann's website info, so quite a punt really. Shame
                          she's not gigging over here (a number of fine musicians have told me
                          it's a pity she doesn't).

                          Beannachdan,

                          Alasdair