Early Irish Harp Concerts

  • Siobhan Armstrong
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2007
      The Historical Harp Society of Ireland presents three concerts:

      Harp Music of the Old Gaelic World

      at Rothe House, Parliament St, Kilkenny on Saturday 25th August at 8.00
      p.m.
      Galway Arts Centre,Dominick St, Galway on Wednesday 30th August at 8.00
      p.m.
      and at
      St. Ann’s Church, Dawson St, Dublin on Saturday 1st September.

      The concerts start at 8.00 p.m. and admission is €15 / €10 (Kilkenny,
      Galway), and €18 / €12 (Dublin), payable at the door.

      In these unique concerts historical harpers Ann Heymann (USA), Javier
      Sáinz (Spain) and Siobhán Armstrong (Irl) will perform traditional,
      Renaissance and baroque harp music from Ireland and Scotland together
      with guests Róisín Elsafty, Connemara’s prizewinning young sean-nós
      singer, and the uilleann pipes playing of solo historical piper Jimmy
      O’Brien-Moran.

      This will be a rare opportunity to hear
      • Three of the world’s foremost players of the medieval instrument
      which is the national emblem of Ireland
      • The authentic sound of brass and 18-carat GOLD strings played in the
      traditional manner with fingernails
      • Exquisite replicas of Ireland’s only surviving medieval harp: the
      Trinity College Harp, as well as replicas of a famous 18th century
      Irish harp, the 'Downhill' harp of 1702.

      The event is part of the international Scoil na gCláirseach–Summer
      School of Early Irish Harp, which takes place at Kilkenny School of
      Music 22nd-28th August. This summer school is the first of its kind in
      Ireland to provide an annual event promoting the playing of the early
      Irish harp, and is the premier international summer event for the
      instrument. For further information, please visit
      http://www.irishharpschool.com

      The Historical Harp Society of Ireland is kindly supported by the The
      Arts Council and Kilkenny County Council.

      --
      Siobhán Armstrong
      Chair - Historical Harp Society of Ireland

      Web: www.irishharp.org
      E: info@...
      Tel: +353 (0)51 646286

      If you would rather not receive emails from the HHSI, please send us an
      email with unsubscribe in the title and we will remove you from our
      email list.
    • Janet Kurnick
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2007
        I am soooooooooooo wishing I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Sigh......................
        Janet in Sacramento, California
      • Hannah Brome
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 23, 2007
          ditto....  Still to far from Ireland to go to these great gatherings, but luckily closer to the Edinburgh International Harp Festival, hope to see you there next March/April?....

          Hannah,  Invergowrie, Scotland. Previously in Plymouth, Devon.

          On 22/08/07, Janet Kurnick <jkurnick@...> wrote:

          I am soooooooooooo wishing I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Janet in Sacramento, California

        • Siobhán Armstrong
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2008