9281capsize aftermath

    2 Oct
      I should have stayed within the harbour as planned. Failing that I should have waited to near slack water, and reefed, to enter Chi on the early flood. Failing that I should have aborted after sampling the entrance conditions, waiting on the East Winner sands for slack water if there were problems getting back in. Instead I carried on and capsized, getting the DCA into disrepute. I had lowered the sail to reef, was raising it and gybed. The boat tuned over but righting it with the sail down was not unduly difficult. again the boat came up awash, and even so I had difficulty in boarding, I tried bows, stern and finally got alongside on my back, put a leg over and managed to get in without capsizing it again. (I was in ordinary clothing which soaked was very heavy.) Although in an Aquapac my phone was dead. Fortunately after some time a competent motorboat crew found me and called the RNLI.

      Damage to boat: mast broken, rudder pintle snapped off and missing, tiller missing. other minor items. This time the buoyancy compartments seem to have flooded. No idea why.

      Loss of gear: phone wrecked, brand new head torch, thermos (which was a valued present to my wife by her young daughter, gumboots.

      Future plans. I ought to give up, but might carry on the way I drive – pretending there is an examiner beside, ready to fail me. I need a newer boat, might repair the old one temporarily. (need to find a pintle  3/8” pin, 33 mm or a little wider throat (CB width)  Len

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic