9687Re: [dinghysolent] Low Water sand on Pilsey's Thorney Channel shore

    12 Jan 01:10
      I used to camp on Pilsea Island in the old days. The now- prohibited part beats East Head and Fowley. However there are still places in the DCA South Coast where I have never explored. Len

      Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:09 PM
      Subject: Re: [dinghysolent] Low Water sand on Pilsey's Thorney Channel shore

      Hi Len and Joe,
      If I make it to Pilsey in time, I will land on the SAND, even if you are on the shingle, and walk over to you if you are there, just to show that it is hard sand, and neither soft mud or hard shingle, although I agree it becomes muddy towards the northern end of the island. I have anchored and landed there many, many times, so DO know what I'm talking about. It might become muddy at the bottom of very low spring ebb tides, but the sand extends a long way out.  Len is correct that public access to the main part of the island is prohibited, and always has been (in my sailing years anyway). It used to be controlled by the army or RAF and warned of "unexploded bombs". Now it is protected by the RSPB. A shame, because it would be a lovely place to camp, although I agree the birds need all the help they can get to survive, especially at nesting time. You can, however, walk right around the island on the beach.
      Liz