daysails

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 5, 2013
      We have Bedhampton listed for the February daysail, which will probably be Sat 15 HW Chi 11.52 say 12.10at Bedhampton. Bedhampton has the greatest launching range, but Langstone Quay would be a change with launching 10.00 and recovering best by 14.00. It has pubs and good walking. Or we could try Prinstead (hoping the barrier would be open), (same launching range) with good walking and the cafe near by.

      Must decide soon

      Tidal Thames? suggest Sun 10 Nov,  LW London Bridge12.46 launching 09.45, recovering 15.45, or Sun 24 Nov,  LW 11.32 launching say 09.30.

      Len
    • David
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2013
        Hi len
        Sunday 10 Nov looks like rain and wind.
        For the Feb day sail, why not try Langstone Quay this time?
        David

        --- In dinghysolent@..., "Len Wingfield" <len@...> wrote:

        > We have Bedhampton listed for the February daysail, which will probably be Sat 15 HW Chi 11.52 say 12.10at Bedhampton. Bedhampton has the greatest launching range, but Langstone Quay would be a change with launching 10.00 and recovering best by 14.00. It has pubs and good walking. Or we could try Prinstead (hoping the barrier would be open), (same launching range) with good walking and the cafe near by.
        >
        > Must decide soon
        >
        > Tidal Thames? suggest Sun 10 Nov, LW London Bridge12.46 launching 09.45, recovering 15.45, or Sun 24 Nov, LW 11.32 launching say 09.30.
        >
        > Len

      • Elizabeth Baker
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 5, 2013
          There is another ramp at Prinstead, close to the Sea Scouts hut.  Not sure if it's available to all, or just the Sea Scouts.
          Liz

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 6, 2013
            David, Sat 10th certainly looks like wind and rain, but the next day-sail on the programme is Sat 16th.  Who knows? It might even be better weather by then.
            Liz

            For the Feb day sail, why not try Langstone Quay this time?
            David

            --- In dinghysolent@..., "Len Wingfield" <len@...> wrote:

            > We have Bedhampton listed for the February daysail, which will probably be Sat 15 HW Chi 11.52 say 12.10at Bedhampton. Bedhampton has the greatest launching range, but Langstone Quay would be a change with launching 10.00 and recovering best by 14.00. It has pubs and good walking. Or we could try Prinstead (hoping the barrier would be open), (same launching range) with good walking and the cafe near by.
            >
            > Must decide soon
            >
            > Tidal Thames? suggest Sun 10 Nov, LW London Bridge12.46 launching 09.45, recovering 15.45, or Sun 24 Nov, LW 11.32 launching say 09.30.
            >
            > Len

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 6, 2013
              The slip at Prinsted is public, with lots of parking. Very tide limited, just a couple of hours either side of HW.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 6, 2013

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 6, 2013
                  We are (hopefully) going to Prinstead on Jan 18 so lets go for Langstone Quay on the Winter Meet day then, to make a change. It would be possible to recover from the LSC slip at the end of the bridge if caught late. OK Liz?
                  The slip at Prinsted is public, with lots of parking. Very tide limited, just a couple of hours either side of HW.

                  --- In dinghysolent@..., Elizabeth Baker <lizbaker_sailing@...> wrote:

                  > There is another ramp at Prinstead, close to the Sea Scouts hut.  Not sure if it's available to all, or just the Sea Scouts.
                  > Liz

                • Elizabeth Baker
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 6, 2013
                    OK Len, I'll clear that with my brother, who is a active member of Langstone SC, and will change the programme entry accordingly. Do you propose to go through the bridge and do Langstone Harbour, or stay on the Chichester side?

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 1, 2014
                      I enclose draft for contact members to check dates, tides and phone numbers please. Press date is imminent. I am copying this draft to Keith so we have something in by press date.

                       I take Liz's points about Nov 8th tides but as I see it the alternative dates' tides would be worse. Calshot would be difficult at low water. Ashlett is HW + to - 2 hrs! If anyone can work out better proposals and agree to host them at this late stage fine, otherwise I would leave as is'

                      South Coast Winter Daysails

                      2014-5 ( final draft for approval and printing

                      {Usual safety preamble as bulletin 217:13}

                      For further information phone/e-mail relevant contact member or see dinghys

                      olent@....

                      There is usually discussion and often valuable weather information before the daysail. It helps to let the host

                      know if you intend to come. (In the event of bad weather the venue may be changed or the sail postponed

                      until the Sunday. Members are more than welcome to propose and host additional events.

                      Nov 8 HW S’ton 11.40 (Second HW 13.40) Launch Warsash 10.30 for Calshott then Ashlett Creek.

                      Contact member Len Wingfield Tel.01483 563422, 077486 70155.

                      Nov 22 HW Chi 10.54 (LW 16.16) Launch Itchenor 10.30 for East Head etc, return on flood. Contact

                      member Steve Bradwell Tel 0239255 3316, 07598 388339.

                      Dec 13 HW Chi 15.40 Launch Bedhampton (Langstone Harbour) 12.30 for Sinah etc, or local

                      sailing. Contact member Len Wingfield Tel.01483 5634Tel. 22, 077486

                      70155.

                      Dec 27 HW Chi 15.22 Launch Itchenor 10.30 for Bosham and Dell Quay, return on ebb. Contact

                      member Alan Moulton . Tel 01243 573252, 07818 086051.

                      Jan 10 HW S’ton 14.01 (Second HW 16.00) Launch Warsash 10.30 (or Swanwick 11.15) for

                      Curbridge etc, return with ebb. Contact member David Sumner Tel 01403

                      730152, 0781 880 1657.

                      Feb 7 HW Chi 13.28 Launch Itchenor 10.30 for Prinstead Café. (Thorney Channel) Contact member

                      Alan Moulton.

                      Feb? Short daysail before South Coast Winter Meet, launching at Bedhampton or Emsworth

                      according to tides. See next bulletin.

                      Mar 7 HW S’ton 11.35 (Second HW 13.35) (GMT). Launch Warsash 10.30 for Southampton St

                      Denys (Gavin’s wharf, water from 10.30 to 14.30). Note Northam Bridge 9.2

                      m. clearance above datum, 4.2m above highest tides. Contact Member Gavin

                      Millar Tel 012380 555669, 07946 397573.

                    • Elizabeth Baker
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 1, 2014
                        Fair enough, I've put my point, but with those tides I, for one, will not be doing the Calshot rally.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 1, 2014

                          The river Hamble entrance is very well lit with port, starboard and at least two cardinal marks.

                          I'd like to thank Len for all the effort and knowledge he puts into compiling the rally programme.

                          Cliff

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 2, 2014

                            No one expects you to go to all the rallies Liz. As you know one past South Coast Secretary arranged rallies with awkward tides and never went to any of them!  We can only provide a choice, and hope they suit some of the members some of the time!  Regards, Len

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 23, 2016
                              Several opportunities before Cobnor:    July 23   HW 14.46 BST    LW 20.02  Chi     From Warsash or Bedhampton?
                                                                                                 July 30          09.03                14.38              from Warblington?
                                                                                                 Aug 06          14.40                19.54              from Warsash?
                                                                                                 Aug 13          07.47                13.33              from Bedhampton or Dell Quay?.

                              I may only have two chances to get to Cobnor but intend to have another go at the challenge.

                              Len

                            • alan.moulton
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 27, 2016
                                Hi Len,
                                If you are still planning to sail on Saturday 30th, I would like to join you. What timings?
                                Alan
                              • curlew5878
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 28, 2016
                                  HI Len
                                  What time and place for Saturday 30th July? Might be able to come.
                                  David
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 28, 2016
                                    May I remind members that hosts are still needed for the last three winter daysails. Also my proposals can usually be improved upon and commonly contain mistakes. In your hands Liz.
                                    Now that we are presumably all on dinghy solent our arrangements could perhaps be more fluid?    Len
                                  • willscott3168
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 29, 2016
                                      Len,

                                      Are you still looking for somebody for this one?

                                      Sat 18 Mar HW Chi 15.00 Launch Itchenor for Bosham then Dell Quay Host?

                                      If so I could do this.

                                      (I take it you did mean Launch Itchenor, not Lunch Itchenor)

                                      Best wishes

                                      Jamie Scott
                                      07939 149 760

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 27, 2017
                                        My previous e-mails seem to have failed. The weather so far seems to be hopeless for daysailing. Thursday seems to be the least horrible, but I now have a medical matter to sort out on that day. We have been very lucky in the past. Cheers all, Len
                                      • cee.dubs
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 27, 2017

                                          I would have turned out on Thursday (tomorrow)

                                          But it looks like a cool one and I have plenty of work to do - adding more insulation in the loft seems the most immediate.  However, if anyone else is going to give it a go tomorrow, I'll make the effort to get down to Cobnor and give join in the fun.

                                          Anyone?

                                          Chris W

                                        • scott.jamie60
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 27, 2017
                                            Chris,

                                            I will look at the weather forecast again first thing in the morning with the aim of launching from Itchenor - hopefully launching before 1200 ish.

                                            Jamie
                                          • cee.dubs
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 27, 2017

                                              Doesn't look as if it's going to be warm Jamie

                                              But leave a message here by 10.00 or so, if you're on your way and I'll get myself to Cobnor and see you on the water.  Low tide at 12.14, so I reckon a brisk spin down to East Head, (for something entirely different) and back home, while there's still hope of life after zero.

                                              Will you be launching at Itchenor?  Towards Midday should allow the temperature to crawl above freezing.

                                              My extremities can hardly wait

                                              Chris W

                                            • scott.jamie60
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 28, 2017
                                                Chris - Itchenor - I won't be online again until this evening - will look out for you (also listen - will have Mob & VHF) - Jamie
                                              • cee.dubs
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 29, 2017

                                                  For me, this turned out as a 'busted flush'

                                                  I got down to Cobnor around 11.00 and could see Jamie's red banded sail on the Itchenor foreshore as I drew near.  I knew Polly Wee's launching trolley tyres were in need of some fresh air, so pulled out the foot pump and re-inflated the first tyre.  As I was disconnecting the pump, the whole core of the valve blew out....

                                                  I've had the usual assortment of tyre problems from simple thorns in bicycle wheels, to a midsummer, 4x4 blow-out in the Middle East, with horrendous temperatures, wearing a close-fitting, white, naval bush-jacket and still recovering from a slipped disc.  But this was a new one on me.

                                                  I phoned Jamie and we agreed that it was simpler for me to forego the trip.  In fact I was planning to avoid such a predicament and just before Christmas, I had looked up puncture-proof, (foam-filled) trolley tyres on line and found perhaps half a dozen, but postponed ordering them until the Christmas delivery tsunami had run its course.

                                                  Yesterday, I looked again and the most predictably correct dimensions at the most reasonable price seemed to be a pair in a beautiful blue, from Force Four, so I am now the owner of a brace of these beauties -

                                                   https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-pair-of-puncture-proof-launching-trolley-wheels.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMXly4yv2AIVjrztCh2rWAI5EAQYASABEgLE4fD_BwE#.WkYkgLlLHIU

                                                  I'll let you know how well they function; in the mean time I am uploading a slightly fuzzy (well it is the season) picture of what was left in the pump connector

                                                  Happy New Year everyone

                                                  Chris W

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 29, 2017
                                                      When we arrived at Itchenor there was hardly a breath of wind but decided to see how we got on.  We had a very nice day out, blue sky, very little cloud and just about enough breeze, though we ended the day with half an hour of rowing.  I have added a couple of photos to Chris's album.  Happy New Year - Jamie
                                                    • jimbobtom
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 29, 2017
                                                        Glad you had a good time Jamie, I should have showed up but I didn't get out of bed until 11am! oops.
                                                        Tom