sunday daysail

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 26, 2015
      David Sumner in his gaff-rigged Mirror with Jill., Chris Partridge in his rowing yawl and I in my Mirror rigged Gull launched at Itchenor in glorious sunshine but flat calm. I sensed a hint of a breeze when clearing the moorings and set sail making half a knot over the ebb current. Breeze filled in from south later. Chis Waite was at East Head in his radical 11 foot lugger. I was chilled so sheltered behind dunes for lunch then walked the exposed sands and the dune system. Back on the beach met Jim? Murphy with his Wanderer. Sailed out to sea with last of ebb, back with young flood, recovered boat in last od daylight. An almost perfect day!    Len  W
      Sorry about the names, senility setting in!
    • chrismpartridge@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 26, 2015
        Thanks for a great event, Len. Like you, I thought I felt a breeze stirring after lunch and set of back against the tide but made the mistake of going across the channel in the hope of getting out of the shelter of the trees but got nowhere. Chris Waite meanwhile wisely kept out of the main current and slowly but steadily disappeared off back to Cobnor. Eventually I admitted defeat, struck the main and rowed, and in perfect conditions got speedily back to Itchenor.
      • chrismpartridge@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 26, 2015
          I have posted a picture in the album Itchenor 2015-10-25. All contributions welcome.
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 26, 2015
            Further to my report, the ‘Sumner Channel’ (inner swatchway) has now disappeared without trace. The West Pole sands alongside the entrance channel are now very level almost to Chichester Bar. (At one time a 10 foot mound formed near the shore!)  Len W

            Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 12:22 PM
            Subject: [dinghysolent] sunday daysail

            David Sumner in his gaff-rigged Mirror with Jill., Chris Partridge in his rowing yawl and I in my Mirror rigged Gull launched at Itchenor in glorious sunshine but flat calm. I sensed a hint of a breeze when clearing the moorings and set sail making half a knot over the ebb current. Breeze filled in from south later. Chis Waite was at East Head in his radical 11 foot lugger. I was chilled so sheltered behind dunes for lunch then walked the exposed sands and the dune system. Back on the beach met Jim? Murphy with his Wanderer. Sailed out to sea with last of ebb, back with young flood, recovered boat in last od daylight. An almost perfect day!    Len  W
            Sorry about the names, senility setting in!
          • joemurphyofkingston
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 26, 2015
              What a lovely afternoon. Nice to see to Len at East Head, and caught a glimpse of Chris rowing hard. Joy and I stayed out on the dunes walking the dog until the flood. We sailed back with a setting sun and recovered under a big silver moon.
              Joe Murphy
              Wanderer 818

              Message 6 of 12 , 23 Jul
                No carer cover for overnight so sailed 11 foot Gull from Broadmarsh on Sunday. Launched easily at half-tide. Breeze very light at times, hard to make headway against spring flood. Massive gravel hopper City of Chichester sailing up very narrow channel to Brockhampton Quay, another larger one up the Broom Channel. Ashore at Sinah Warren, then out of harbour with first of ebb. Blew up to forecast 21 knot gusts, rough against spring ebb. Lunch on Portsea shore then reefed for return.
                Much rain inland but held off till I landed, then cloudburst. Len
              • stevebradwellenterprise
                Message 7 of 12 , 24 Jul
                  Well done for getting out on the water Len. Sunday morning saw the best of the weather with generally strong wind and showers over much of the rest of the weekend. Weather may account for a disappointing turn out for the Yarmouth rally. Still Jamie and William in 'Josh' and myself in my Enterprise made it to Yarmouth which, as always, was worth the effort of getting there.

                  Steve
                  Message 8 of 12 , 24 Jul
                    Well done for getting to Yarmouth in daunting conditions. When I landed at Broadmarsh a chap called  Ian asked if I had returned from the Yarmouth rally! Not a member yet but a Dinghysolent follower. Len

                    Sent: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:42 PM
                    Subject: [dinghysolent] Re:: sunday daysail

                    Well done for getting out on the water Len. Sunday morning saw the best of the weather with generally strong wind and showers over much of the rest of the weekend. Weather may account for a disappointing turn out for the Yarmouth rally. Still Jamie and William in 'Josh' and myself in my Enterprise made it to Yarmouth which, as always, was worth the effort of getting there.

                    Steve
                  • Elizabeth Baker
                    Message 9 of 12 , 24 Jul
                      The best of plans can be scuppered by the weather, and so were mine to set-off for Yarmouth on Friday morning, giving two days to reach Yarmouth from Chichester, but were scuppered by forecasts of F6 for Friday. Instead I launched at crack-of-dawn on Sat with an open mind about whether to attempt Yarmouth, or remain in Chichester Harbour. A look at the sky convinced me, and I was thankful later not to be out on the briny in that rain! Had a good sail under a broad reach, and then a run, up to Fishbourne, planning to return south on the ebb. After beating back against the still flooding tide I anchored off Copperas Point for a late breakfast. It's a peaceful spot and well sheltered from the southerly wind, with lots of bird life to watch, despite the fact that a short walk ashore brings you to the huge Chichester Marina with all its facilities.

                      With breakfast still spread around the boat it began to rain. It looked like continuing for a couple of hours, so I raised my tent. It's not totally waterproof, but it keeps the worst out and I removed my jacket, keeping my over-trousers on. It stopped for about an hour mid-afternoon, but by then I was aground. By the time I re-floated the rain had returned and continued thundering down until well after midnight. I slept in my oilies and bivvy bag (only showerproof) until 2am, when I woke with chattering teeth to find the rain had finally stopped. I pulled-out my warm, dry sleeping bag and slept soundly for the rest of the night.

                      I woke to warm sunshine, but everything still dripping, so spent some time drying-out, and having my second breakfast in that spot, before setting-sail to beat south against the flooding tide. At first the wind was light, so I shook-out my reef to enable me to beat the tide and provide more control in avoiding racing dinghies, but soon regretted my decision as the wind increased. It was difficult to luff and reef in the confined moorings of the busy Itchenor channel, so I continued under full-sail back to Cobnor hard, where I pulled-down my first reef, then sailed on out to Cobnor Point, but it was by now blowing F6 and rain threatened, so I called it a day and packed-up. A good sail, but a short one.

                      I'll be interested to hear how those who went to Yarmouth got on.

                      Liz
                    • ianbarrett81
                      Message 10 of 12 , 25 Jul
                        Hello Len, I was the Ian you spoke to at Broadmarsh. I took your advice and sent off a membership application!
                         I sail a rather scarred and battle-hardened blue GP14 mostly in Langstone harbour, would love to have some company for a day sail, although today's sail from Broadmarsh to the harbour entrance for lunch was pretty good alone!

                        Message 11 of 12 , 25 Jul
                          Hi Ian, good to have you in membership. The next rally is of course Oxey lake, a weekender, but you might like to meet up wth people sailing out from Warsash or wherever. Our Cobnor  camping ‘week’ is from 19 Aug to 31st so there will be members daysailing every day, so you will be spoiled for choice. Also the Hayling Challenge daysail with a chance to make your mark! Liz Baker will send you an information pack upon request. Best Wishes Len Wingfield

                          Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:10 PM
                          Subject: Re:: Re: [dinghysolent] Re:: sunday daysail

                          Hello Len, I was the Ian you spoke to at Broadmarsh. I took your advice and sent off a membership application!

                          I sail a rather scarred and battle-hardened blue GP14 mostly in Langstone harbour, would love to have some company for a day sail, although today's sail from Broadmarsh to the harbour entrance for lunch was pretty good alone!

                        • curlew5878
                          Message 12 of 12 , 28 Jul
                            It sounds as if several people did some impressive sailing over the last weekend. Well done everyone. Steve and Jamie, I was wondering how you got on with the HM at Yarmouth, as I see you are on the pontoon?
                            I have been on Provident all week, out of Brixham, and sailed to Guernsey and Sark. What a beautiful island. On the return we had some heavy conditions, a full sailing wind for a big gaffer. I was watching dolphins near the  bow when she took a wave right over my head, which knocked me over. My life jacket went off to everyone's hilarity. They are not called a May West for nothing!
                            Fair winds
                            David

                            "May I be eternally damned if I seek shelter, though I should beat about here till the day of judgment" – the Flying Dutchman.

                            .