Yarmouth 22 - 23 July

  • scott.jamie60
    Message 1 of 18 , 17 Jul

      It's Yarmouth this weekend - just wondering who is thinking of making the trip?

      All the best - Jamie

    • stevebradwellenterprise
      Message 2 of 18 , 17 Jul
        I am. From Warsash, weather permitting.

        Steve
      • Elizabeth Baker
        Message 3 of 18 , 18 Jul
          I might, starting from Chichester on Fri, but it looks as if the winds are going to be stronger than I like, so might not make it.
          Liz

          Message 4 of 18 , 18 Jul

            We are going to Totland Bay for a sandcastle competition with the LTSC so might see if we can drop in on the way there or back (assuming the weather is not dreadful).

            What is the plan at Yarmouth – is there a particular area you go to for overnighting?

            Also we’ve never been into Yarmouth - is it an easy in and out?

            Kind Regards,

            Alg Bennett

            www.smalltrimaran.co.uk (not much on here yet, just started sorting it)

            Message 5 of 18 , 18 Jul
              I was hoping to be super organised and do some early prep - however for the usual reasons this hasn't happened so I will have to ask for contributions to fill in the details.

               I have 'The Yarmouth Harbour Visitors Guide 2017/18' - I will read it through again in a minute to see if there is anything else that needs to be said...

              The little map on pg 28 looks very similar to the photo loaded onto this site titled 'Yarmouth Rally Venue' by Yves507 on July 3rd 2014.

              The photo on DinghySolent shows a beach marked by a red oval, In Lat longs the beach is  50°42'21.2"N 1°30'20.2"W  or  50.705897, -1.505611 if you prefer decimals.

              I spoke to the Harbour Office (Ginny) earlier this evening.  The Harbour Office said it would be fine for us to camp in little boats just off this beach (opposite the Sandhard Pontoon), dependant upon how busy they are...To get to the beach you hug the wall and keep to the right.  The visitors guide shows strong tides through the marina.

              The link  http://www.yarmouth-harbour.co.uk/visiting-yarmouth-harbour is their website...

              The Harbour Office reiterated that there can be no sailing within the marina... Oars or Outboards only... they asked that we call them up on Channel 68 on arrival if possible.  I said some carry radios some don't...

              Cheers

              Jamie
              Wayfarer 6042 Josh

            • curlew5878
              Message 6 of 18 , 18 Jul
                Hi Jamie
                That is great info for Algie. May I add the following.
                The entrance is nearly always seen by the presence of a ferry.
                If coming from Totland be aware of the Black Rock off Yarmouth.
                Any approach angle roughly right angles to the entrance will be fine. But be aware the Solent streams can run across the entrance rather fast, but not ridiculous, so allow for this.
                Once inside, you will need to motor, so maybe get the sail off whilst still approaching.
                The berthing master meets boats in his RIB as you enter so just say you want to go the sand hard beach. If you cannot beach your boat, or if it is very low LW, he might put you on the pontoon at the Sand Hard.
                Once through the entrance wall, turn right. Not into the very first shallow alley, which is blocked, but into the big open alley between yachts, fueling pontoon to Port. Keep going straight for 200 yard until the channel turns to Port, and the beach is ahead but you have to go through a gap in the pontoons to reach it. I think it is best to just motor around a bit and reconnoitre as I can't explain it.
                At the Sand Hard Beach you have to use the water taxi to go to the town or you have to walk around by land.
                It will be lovely but I don't think I can make this one.
                Fair winds to everyone reading this.
                My video entitled "Poole-Bursledon" shows it.
                david

              • curlew5878
                Message 7 of 18 , 18 Jul
                  The following video might be useful, stating at 17.40:-
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4NveXGTA-c
                  David
                • scott.jamie60
                  Message 8 of 18 , 18 Jul
                    David,
                    Thanks for the information - and also thanks for the video.  Fair winds to you too.
                    Jamie
                  • alg
                    Message 9 of 18 , 19 Jul
                      Great info again thanks.

                      Just had a book land from Amazon about cruising and the various harbours in the solent so all super helpful.

                      Alg

                      Sent from my Samsung device

                      Message 10 of 18 , 19 Jul
                        Last year the harbour patrols were fine with me sailing out through the harbour with a faverable wind. I would not have wanted to be tacking out. At their request I called them on VHF to ask for permission (to sail out) before I set off.

                        Steve (Yves)
                      • Alg Bennett
                        Message 11 of 18 , 19 Jul

                          We’ll make sure to have the outboard with us but raising the sail on the water is a bit of a nightmare for us at the moment.

                          Is there a nearby beach outside the harbor I can motor round to so we can pull up if needed?

                          Message 12 of 18 , 19 Jul
                          It is possible to land on the beach just west of Yarmouth entrance and walk through to our rallying area for a look. You'll have to be careful not to ground on a falling tide though.

                          Message 13 of 18 , 19 Jul

                            Ok thanks will check it out when I am back home on Friday.

                            Kind Regards,

                            Alg Bennett

                            www.smalltrimaran.co.uk (not much on here yet, just started sorting it)

                            [Attachment(s) from Elizabeth Baker included below]

                            Message 14 of 18 , 21 Jul
                              Hi Jamie,
                              In view of the strong winds forecast this week-end I regret I won't be attempting Yarmouth, although I might manage a sail within Chichester Harbour.

                              Liz
                            • Alg Bennett
                              Message 15 of 18 , 21 Jul

                                Liz,

                                Out of interest, what weather forecasting do you use?

                                I’m just looking at bbc and windguru and it’s not looking too bad? Apparently it’s calming down quite a lot from today?

                                Message 16 of 18 , 21 Jul
                                  Liz - Did Meryon Bridges contact you about joining this DinghySolent YahooGroup - Jamie
                                • scott.jamie60
                                  Message 17 of 18 , 21 Jul
                                    Liz - I hope you have a nice sail in Chichester - I am planning to have a closer look at conditions when at Warsash on Saturday morning. - Jamie
                                  • Elizabeth Baker
                                    Message 18 of 18 , 21 Jul
                                      No I havn't heard from Meryon Bridges.
                                      Liz

                                      Liz - Did Meryon Bridges contact you about joining this DinghySolent YahooGroup - Jamie