Oxey Lake Rally, 5/6 Aug 2017

  • curlew5878
    Message 1 of 19 , 1 Aug 03:02
      Weather is looking good, with reasonable winds, WSW.
      Hoping to see everyone on the last rally before Cobnor.
      David

    • stevebradwellenterprise
      Message 2 of 19 , 1 Aug 11:02
        Hi David really pleased you intend to be at this weekends rally. For those of you who have not been to Oxey Lake its a lovely spot in the heard of a nature reserve shaped by years of industrial salt collection dating back to the Middle Ages. http://www.hants.gov.uk/rh/lym/leaflet.pdf

        The anchorage we usually use is the north facing shore of Oxey Marsh on the corner of the creek leading to Moses Dock. For those that want there is a pleasant canal side walk to the local pub, the Cheques Inn. http://www.chequersinnlymington.com/ If you arrive after about 8pm you will probably find us there! A torch is useful for getting back to your boat.

        Mainland launch sites include Warsash, Beaulieu and Keyhaven. Walking to Oxey Marsh is possible from Lymington or Keyhaven or you can drive to the Cheques Inn.

        Look forward to seeing some of you there. As David says, weather is looking OK.

        Steve (blue Enterprise)

      • curlew5878
        Message 3 of 19 , 1 Aug 12:44
          May I mention that it is Cowes Week until 1700 Saturday, with the Red Arrows at Cowes on Friday evening.
          David
        • curlew5878
          Message 4 of 19 , 5 Aug 00:58
            Setting off now for Warsash!
            Good sailing Steve and anyone else.
            David
          • curlew5878
            Message 5 of 19 , 5 Aug 10:20
              Just to let people know, if any,. that I gave up the voyage at Calshot Spit Buoy as the sea state in the Solent was too rough and the wind F5 right on the nose!
              My apologies as host.
              david
            • curlew5878
              Message 6 of 19 , 5 Aug 11:05
                But I was still at sea for 3.5 hours and no other dinghies out there! Good practice.
                David
              • Elizabeth Baker
                Message 7 of 19 , 5 Aug 13:20
                  Tough luck David. Pleased I didn't try from Chichester then. Was strongly tempted, but admin work for Cobnor Fortnight was overdue and I couldn't really spare the time; also an "occasional F6" in the forecast was discouraging, and the fact that the tides were all wrong for a long trip from Chichester. I  think Steve was planning to go. I don't know who else. It would be good to hear from anyone who did get there. Perhaps a Keyhaven launch would have been more successful.
                  Liz

                  Message 8 of 19 , 5 Aug 13:27
                    Not the only dinghy out there! I sailed from Broadmarsh in my GP14 hoping to make it to Cowes before returning. Strong winds in the eastern Solent too, not unpleasant but good going until a squall around midday that ripped my genoa and changed my plans. Headed off downwind to Bembridge, anchored outside the harbour in mostly sun before return crossing to Langstone harbour.
                    Hopefully sail with some of you soon, would have loved to join the fleet to Oxey Lake but the jeep isn't yet set for camping duties.
                    Ian (GP14 Uncle Monty)

                  • curlew5878
                    Message 9 of 19 , 5 Aug 13:59
                      Hello Ian
                      Well it would be nice to met up with you at a rally in the near future.You did well sailing towards Cowes in that sea. I saw a big thunder storm pass over Cowes area, and I refrained from setting my topsail for a while just in case. I started from Warsash with fairly light conditions, but out in the Solent near Calshot it became very choppy with short seas and just so unpleasant going to windward.  It took me ages to get back to Warsash as it was against the tide.
                      Good sailing.
                      David

                      "May I be eternally damned if I seek shelter, though I should beat about here till the day of judgment" – the Flying Dutchman.

                    • ianbarrett81
                      Message 10 of 19 , 5 Aug 14:15
                        Yes David, that thunderstorm may well have been the one I experienced with winds that must have been hitting 35-40 knots as it passed through laying waste to the racing fleets! Such a contrast to the light winds and sunshine at 10am when I launched.
                        Interestingly the storm was so localised that it barely registers on Bramblemet, however it features on Chimet at 1pm, peak gusts over 35 knots.

                      • curlew5878
                        Message 11 of 19 , 5 Aug 15:12
                          I think I exaggerated the wind, Ian, but I found the chop so awkward to sail into, stopping the boat, plus the tricky traffic around Calshot.
                          David
                        • Elizabeth Baker
                          Message 12 of 19 , 5 Aug 16:27
                            You  had wind against a Spring ebb tide too - that would increase the chop, particularly off Calshot.
                            Liz

                            Message 13 of 19 , 6 Aug 01:05
                              I went rowing at Emsworth and on the way I spotted the name Curlew on a transom parked outside the Coop in Southbourne - were you getting supplies in, David?
                              We managed to get off the water before the storm but still got soaked getting it back in the boat park. Very nasty and not in the Met Office forecast!
                            • stevebradwellenterprise
                              Message 14 of 19 , 6 Aug 08:29
                                David. No need to worry about hosting duties I took on the role at your request. See your post on 12th March.

                                 Anyway just back and can report a successful rally with four boats and five crew attending. I had a very eventful rally including being knocked down by a visious gust, probably the one mentioned by Ian. And later nearly losing my complete boat at Hurst, not to mention nearly ramming our president at Oxey. Still Len will be pleased to know I have practiced capsize drill in real life conditions! Report to follow.

                                Steve
                              • Alan Moulton

                                  Message 16 of 19 , 6 Aug 09:39
                                    Oops, Sorry Ian, I see you already said about the windspeed. It's a shame that events conspired so that we didn't get to meet you. The good news is that there is always another rally.
                                    Alan

                                    Message 17 of 19 , 6 Aug 11:39
                                      Well done Steve and everyone who made it.
                                      Saw Len at Itchenor this afternoon, a choppy day again.
                                      David
                                    • Elizabeth Baker
                                      Message 18 of 19 , 6 Aug 14:23
                                        Sounds interesting Steve. I look forward to the full story! Nice photos - I like the one with the rainbow.
                                        Liz

                                        Message 19 of 19 , 7 Aug 00:50
                                          There are some western Solent weather stations here;

                                          if you click on the wind icon on the map there's a link to the graphs on the pop up. Not as comprehensive as the Chimet etc info, & note that default windspeed is in m/s! (m/s  x 1.94 = knots)

                                          I hadn't launched when the squall went through, so had lunch in the van for the duration, lively sailing later.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Phil.