2017/18 daysails URGENT

    Message 1 of 23 , 2 Aug 11:22

  • stevebradwellenterprise
    Message 2 of 23 , 2 Aug 12:45
      Len. I don't know about anyone else but I can't open your attachment.

      Steve
    • jimbobtom
      Message 3 of 23 , 2 Aug 13:34
        Hi all.
        As you may have noticed, I have been quiet for a while but I injured my finger again (long story). So we are currently away in our motorhome enjoying my forced time off.

        I cant open Len's attachment either.

        Alg, sorry to hear that your engineering isn't up to the job! (joke). I can pop down and take you out for a sail soon, no worries.

        Hope you all enjoy Oxey lake, I did want to come but I'm too busy sat in the sunshine.

        Tom
      • Algie Bennett
        Message 4 of 23 , 2 Aug 14:23

        Thanks Tom.

        It had already been a really bad day, hence some fast angry sailing – but it made me laugh. Wish I’d got the video though.

        Turns out the bolt on the front beam wasn’t tightened up fully and as we were thrashing along it would have been banging up and down about a mil in the socket. The attached pics show how the top of the beam had squared off a bit giving more room to play.

        It was getting a pretty severe pounding as I was pushing it quite hard in some gusty conditions – the GPS which we saved showed we had hit over 30km/hr repeatedly, so 16-17 knots.

        I’ve ordered more ally and this time will do what I intended last time and put a welded collar through the frame for the bolt to pass through giving it better compression and strengthened support around that stress zone. Too much of a rush to get out and thrash it...

        It will also be slightly narrower which will reduce the loads through the cross beams – we have more than enough stability with that size of float.

        I’m also just finalising my new float design for the other side which will have a more pronounced V bottom to reduce slapping and will reduce the impact loads.

        As time is still at a hopeless premium for me though, I’m going to try and pick up a cheap cat to tool around on for the rest of the summer as I doubt I will get 2 complete days free to fabricate and weld up the new frame as making the scalloped joints is quite time consuming.

        Therefore hopefully seeing a Spitfire cat over the weekend which is pretty quick and hopefully won’t explode in quite the same manner....

        Also, stop hurting yourself!

        Kind Regards,

        Alg Bennett

        www.smalltrimaran.co.uk (not much on here yet, just started sorting it)

        Message 5 of 23 , 2 Aug 14:39
          Thanks to Cliff who converted Lens file from Works to Word here's Len's file.

          Steve

          Winter day sails 2017-18

          2017/18 Daysail suggestions  First draft

          All tides Chichester Bar GMT   First HW Southampton similar. Launch 10.30 unless stated

                       HW                LW

          4 Nov    10.59  5.1m    16.27  0.6 m    Launch Itchenor for East Head lunch

          18 Nov  11.11  4.8       16.31 1.0 m                 Warsash for R.Itchen

          2 Dec     09.52  5.0      15.29  0.9 m                 Itchenor for Sandy Point

          16 Dec   10.13  4.6       15.37  1.3 m                Warsash for Upper Hamble

          26 Dec    10.57  4.1       09.56  4.1 m                Itchenor for Bosham and Dell Quay

          13 Jan      08.37             14.59                           Itchenor for Pilsea Island

          3 Feb       13.22  5.0m                           Launch Emsworth or Northney Marina for Fowley Island lunch

          17 Feb      12.30  4.7 m  17.57   0.8m    Launch Hardway for Porchester and/or Fareham

          ?  Mar                                                    ?

          ?  Mar                                                     ?

          Western venues could be substituted. Contact members needed for all daysails

        • jimbobtom
          Message 6 of 23 , 2 Aug 14:54
            I laughed when I read your post about it too Alg, but I was too polite to say so!
            Message 7 of 23 , 3 Aug 01:13
              I should have mentioned that this winter’s tides seem nearly all to be awkward for us. Also that I would appreciate March tides.

              I do have computer problems as well as my own incompetence. My PC which I find easier to use shut down for several months and only restarted when I was about to take it to the tip. My laptop often refuses messages but sometimes then relents grudgingly without further action.

              Cheers, Len

              Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:22 PM
              Subject: [dinghysolent] 2017/18 daysails URGENT [1 Attachment]

            • curlew5878
              Message 8 of 23 , 3 Aug 01:18
                I was wondering if we could alter some of the dates to obtain better tides.
                David
                Message 9 of 23 , 3 Aug 01:36
                  Hopefully yes, but but you may find the alternative dates to the awkward tides give impossible tides!  Len

                  Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:18 AM
                  Subject: Re:: Re: [dinghysolent] 2017/18 daysails URGENT

                  I was wondering if we could alter some of the dates to obtain better tides.
                  David

                • buoyantlizb
                  Message 10 of 23 , 3 Aug 09:38
                    Unfortunately I cannot open this file Len.
                    Liz
                  • buoyantlizb
                    Message 11 of 23 , 3 Aug 09:44
                      Correction - I HAVE managed to open the proposed winter day-sail programme now. A quick glance shows most of your dates with an early morning HW. Surely it would be more sensible to have days with HW in the afternoon, so we have a fair tide to get us home?
                      Liz
                    • sail_and_oar
                      Message 12 of 23 , 3 Aug 13:33
                        I thank Len for his first draft and agree, the winter tides don't serve especially well. The autumn Saturdays in 2017 seem to be mostly 9 or 10 o'clock in the morning or 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon. This is not very helpful.

                        I think East Head on the 4th of November is good.

                        To work the tides for  the Itchen on the 18th November would need an 8.30 launch to use the young flood stand out of the Hamble and give a couple of hours of flood to get us up river. Is there a rendezvous point on the Itchen? Would Marchwood SC or Eling be alternatives?

                        There is an error in the tidal time for the 26th of December which should read 4.29 and 16.43 (high waters Portsmouth). This is reasonable for the suggested sail. Some sailing and derigging may be in the dark. This is often inevitable this time of year.

                        The 25 of November would work rather better for this daysail. The afternoon tide is 15.23 and we'll have a bit more daylight to play with for derigging.

                        Tide tables for Dover are here. Add 27 minutes for Portsmouth

                        Cliff

                        ---In dinghysolent@..., <stevebradwell@...> wrote :

[...]

                      • Elizabeth Baker
                        Message 13 of 23 , 3 Aug 14:54
                        Hi Len and the rest of you,
                        I have done some work on tide times and inserted my idea of better days and tide times into your list, along with other comments and suggestions where appropriate. I attach this in both PDF and Word format, so hopefully you can read one or the other. Please advise if you can't. I'm not going to have much more time to study this before the end of August as I now have a lot of admin work to do in preparation for Cobnor fortnight, but I hope you find it helpful. I realise Keith wants contributions for the Autumn Bulletin by the end of August, but I can't do that as I won't be here then. I don't volunteer to host winter day-sails because my hands go numb when I get cold, which is dangerous in a boat, although I might attend a few if the weather is mild.
                        Liz
                      • curlew5878
                        Message 14 of 23 , 3 Aug 15:20
                          Thank you, Liz.
                          I don't know about others but I prefer Sundays for day sailing so I can get the boat ready on the Saturday. I can't do this during the working week in Winter as it is dark.
                          david
                        • Elizabeth Baker
                          Message 15 of 23 , 3 Aug 17:36
                            Hello David,
                            Yes I can understand that - the only problem is that Cliff can't do Sundays. Maybe we should alternate them, with some on Sats and others on Sundays. In any event the day is often changed due to weather. What do others think?

                            Message 16 of 23 , 4 Aug 00:43
                              Saturdays were preferred in the past because there is the option of postponing to Sunday in the event of bad weather. The best way of deciding is to volunteer as the contact member for a specific date. I intend to volunteer for two daysails. Obviously unforseeable contingencies crop up (family problems, illness etc,) but substitutes are usually found.  Len

                              Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 1:36 AM

                              Message 17 of 23 , 4 Aug 04:18
                                Hello Liz
                                I had forgotten that so let's leave it as it is.
                                david
                              • sail_and_oar
                                Message 18 of 23 , 4 Aug 09:23
                                  I don't think anybody need worry about how my life fits around the DCA programme. I generally attend a few rallies, miss quite a lot and also do plenty of independent sailing. I also have many other interests. Life is chaotic and spontaneous. I wouldn't want it any other way.

                                  Cliff

                                  Message 19 of 23 , 4 Aug 10:16
                                    Comments on revised daysails:
                                    Bear in mind that many of our members sail without motors, so fair tides are important, especially for little boats without high windward performance.

                                    4th Nov gives fair tides out and return.  11 Nov we would be fighting tide and prevailing wind down channel   .

                                    18 Nov Yes Calshot and Ashlet might be better venues, and 25 Nov would be better for River Itchen. I reckon Eling would be further than head of Itchen and Marchwood would be as far. We could perhaps stop at the club at Weston.

                                    2 Dec. Again this gives fair tides. 9 Dec tides are foul.

                                    26 Dec tides favour Bosham and Dell Quay, but foul for Pilsea. 13 Jan tides are right for Pilsea

                                    6 Jan earliest launch Broadmarsh without going over mud about 12.00

                                    Thanks very much Cliff for tide info but I couldnt find Mar 2018 on it. Incidentally my tides were as Chi handbook.  Len

                                    Message 20 of 23 , 4 Aug 11:19
                                      March 2018 tides (Dover) are here.

                                      http://cspf.co.uk/tide-tables/2018/03

                                      Add 27 minutes for Portsmouth

                                      Add 32 minutes for neaps, 17 minutes springs Chichester entrance.

                                      Cliff

                                      Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 10:54 PM

                                      Hi Len and the rest of you,
                                      I have done some work on tide times and inserted my idea of better days and tide times into your list, along with other comments and suggestions where appropriate. I attach this in both PDF and Word format, so hopefully you can read one or the other. Please advise if you can't. I'm not going to have much more time to study this before the end of August as I now have a lot of admin work to do in preparation for Cobnor fortnight, but I hope you find it helpful. I realise Keith wants contributions for the Autumn Bulletin by the end of August, but I can't do that as I won't be here then. I don't volunteer to host winter day-sails because my hands go numb when I get cold, which is dangerous in a boat, although I might attend a few if the weather is mild.
                                      Liz

                                      Add 32 minutes for neaps, 17 minutes for springs Chichester entrance

                                      Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 10:54 PM

                                      Message 21 of 23 , 5 Aug 02:04
                                        Many thanks Cliff for the March tides (Dover). Hope my interpolations and exterpolations are approximately right!

                                        TENTATIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR MARCH 2018

                                        Sat 3  Mar  HW  12.30  7.3 m  Launch Itchenor for Prinstead. (Sunday tides would be better, Foul tides inevitable!)

                                        Sat 17 Mar HW S’ton 11.30 –13.30  Launch Warsash for Ashlett and Calshot

                                        Sat 31 Mar HW Chi 12.30 GMT *  Launch Itchenor for Fishbourne, Dell Quay and Bosham.  * is it BST?

                                        Maybe Contact Members (or Bulletin announcement) should include a reminder to carry a powerful torch (Colregs and DCA recommendations) and headtorch for packing up in dark.

                                        Len

                                        Message 22 of 23 , 5 Aug 03:46

                                          Message 23 of 23 , 15 Aug 10:12
                                            Sorry for the delay in responding Liz. my computer has been down again. Yes it would be sensible to sail with the tide on return, but except for Itchenor we are restricted
                                            by launching and recovering times and winter daylight hours. Returning in Chichester and Langstone Harbours is usually with the prevailing wind. I have aimed at the least unsuitable options! Our arrangements are frequently re-arranged on the day, even during the day. Len
                                            Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 5:44 PM