Fwd: Boats

  • Mary Dooley
    Message 1 of 8 , 10 Aug
    hi steve
    here are some photos i took of the trip, let me know if any of you want them in a better resolution and i can send over files via google photos.
    We had an equally exciting trip back because we didn't set off until around 11 and the wind was very strong again so it was quite rough, and we noticed a lot of boats on the horizon as we were crossing from oxey to newtown.  And then 368 racing yachts were tacking west along the solent at the same time as (what felt like) a very small Ilur was tacking west. It was the Fastnet race!  Anyway what with the wind, the waves and the boats it made for an exciting sail, luckily Roger was at the helm and not me.  I have learned a new lesson from this  which is that yachts in a race are not generally empathetic towards the sweet little boats of the kind sailed by the DCA.
    mary

    Begin forwarded message:

    From: Mary Dooley <marydoole@...>
    Subject: Boats
    Date: 10 August 2017 11:48:35 BST

    Sent from my iPhone

  • stevebradwellenterprise
    Message 2 of 8 , 10 Aug
      Thank for the great photos Mary. I'll post them in the Oxey album if that's OK. Keith Muscott is a group member and takes photos of his choice from the site direct to illustrate rally reports. Occasionally he askes for a higher resolution version of one or two. If he uses one of yours, which is quite possible, I will pass his request to you if that's all right.

      Thanks for travelling all the way from Somerset to our rally it was lovely to see you and Roger. Hope you are able to get along to more in the future. One of the benefits or drawbacks of being host is that you get to write the rally report. Inevitably there is more about yourself because that's what you know. Also I don't like highlighting other people's failures and mishaps unless I know them very well. Luckily I don't have that problem this time! The lengths I went to to provide more interesting copy for Keith!!

      Best wishes

      Steve
    • buoyantlizb
      Message 3 of 8 , 10 Aug
        Steve,
        Lovely photos all! As Keith, in the Bulletin, provides the name of the photographer, it would be helpful if you could identify which photos were taken by Mary. Also, as not all the photos were actually taken at Oxey Lake, it would help to know where they were taken, otherwise it gives a false impression of what Oxey Lake is like. I have annotated some as Keyhaven. Hope I am right?
        Liz
      • Keith Muscott
        Message 4 of 8 , 10 Aug
          Now I understand why you made such a pig’s ear of looking after that poor Enterprise and just watched it float away into the blue yonder, Steve. Most uncharacteristic of you, I must say – but all is explained and forgiven, it was just to provide good copy for DC! Next time warn me about what you are up to by starting, 'For my next trick …' and I won’t be so flabbergasted!

          I’ve sampled one of Mary’s excellent pics and it registers at just under 1MB. You were right, it is a bit light in resolution to give it the crispness it deserves on the page. Why don’t you tell Mary which ones (say 3) you would like to include with the report, and she can email them to me at the resolution they were taken – one at a time attached to emails is fine if they are big files. And you can send me two or three of your own, as they are usually pretty good, too! Of course if they are all going in the dinghysolent albums at full res you can just tell me which ones to purloin from there.

          (I only leap in and nick photographs from dinghysolent at the eleventh hour when no-one has stirred themselves to send stuff to support their rally reports, but I’m not complaining, it’s nice to have a free hand! Some time back Yahoo changed their procedure and made it hard to access the bigger resolutions, but that’s sorted now.)

          Keith

          Thank for the great photos Mary. I'll post them on 'Dinghysolent' if that's OK. Keith Muscott is a group member and takes photos of his choice from the site direct to illustrate rally reports. Occasionally he asked for a higher resolution version of one or two. If he uses one of yours, which is quite possible, I will pass his request to you if that's all right.

            Message 6 of 8 , 10 Aug
              Hi Liz. All of Mary's photos are attached to her post below. I've just transferred some of them to the Oxey album. I'll go through them and put her name to them though. As to the location of the photos they were all taken at Oxey apart from the two which have captions stating otherwise. They are the one of Alan's boat taken at Calshot and my boat at Hurst.

              Steve

            • Alan Moulton
              Message 7 of 8 , 10 Aug

                Hi Steve,

                There are three photo's Mary took of me leaning on my boat, two of those with Roger in shot. These were taken at keyhaven.

                Regards, Alan

                Hi Liz. All of Mary's photos are attached to her post below. I've just transferred some of them to the Oxey album. I'll go through them and put her name to them though. As to the location of the photos they were all taken at Oxey apart from the two which have captions stating otherwise. They are the one of Alan's boat taken at Calshot and my boat at Hurst.

                Steve

              • Elizabeth Baker
                Message 8 of 8 , 10 Aug
                  Oh. A couple at least of the photos show boats moored to a pontoon, with moored boats in the background. There is no pontoon at Oxey, and the Lymington moorings are out-of-sight from there. I assumed they were at Keyhaven and annotated them as such, but please correct me if I am wrong.
                  Liz