Summer Boat Repairs

  • curlew5878
    Message 1 of 8 , 16 Aug
      Have been doing some boat repairs this week. I decided to move the centre board forward by 2 inches, which is the max I can easily do, to try and get a bit more weather helm. This meant re-organising the compass and kicker locations! So it took ages and I hope it was worth it.
      Hoping to get afloat in the Solent and Chichester next week, maybe try my bowsprit again and may see people on the water.
      Fair winds to everyone
      David

    • curlew5878
      Message 2 of 8 , 19 Aug
        Tested the boat with new centreboard position at Chi today. Exciting sailing in W F5-6, from Itchenor to Marker Point via lunch at E Head. Saw Cliff in his new boat, going fast to windward and lying out horizontally. My centreboard is now 2 inches forward, and I think that puts me just into slight weather helm. I tried tilting it back to differing amounts but the results are a bit vague. The new position seems to give good self steering but I don't know why.
        I thought one of the gusts would break my mast as it was shaking violently about its own diameter as I desperately took down the mainsail. But once it was down, I carried on reaching under jib alone and then realised I can reef the m/sail very easily with it dropped, so I did that and then tentatively got it up again for some fast sailing. I have cured two leaks but created two more!
        David

      • alg
        Message 3 of 8 , 19 Aug
          What is your boat?

          Sent from my Samsung device

          Message 4 of 8 , 20 Aug
            Hello Alg
            It s a modified Mirror dinghy, which often appears in the Bulletin and in the Photos section here.
            David
          • alg
            Message 5 of 8 , 20 Aug
              How much hassle is it changing the position of the boats then? Have you got any pics of the changes? Always like seeing other peoples modifications to compare to my bodges......

              Sent from my Samsung device

              Message 6 of 8 , 20 Aug
                Hello Alg
                The boat was modified to have a pivoting centreboard a few years ago and works fine. To move the pivot is basically easy, but on a camping/cruising Mirror every inch of space does something. So when I moved the board, I had to move the compass. Luckily the board still misses the kicker. But now when I drop my spray hood it is resting on the compass, so needs another support! I also equipped the board with a nice coloured ball for pulling it up, but found that that can jam in the slot and also can hook on to a cleat on the centre case so it stops the board retracting. I will try to get some photos.
                david
              • alg
                Message 7 of 8 , 20 Aug
                  Great sounds very interesting.

                  Look forward to seeing some pics when you can.

                  Sent from my Samsung device

                  The boat was modified to have a pivoting centreboard a few years ago and works fine. To move the pivot is basically easy, but on a camping/cruising Mirror every inch of space does something. So when I moved the board, I had to move the compass. Luckily the board still misses the kicker. But now when I drop my spray hood it is resting on the compass, so needs another support! I also equipped the board with a nice coloured ball for pulling it up, but found that that can jam in the slot and also can hook on to a cleat on the centre case so it stops the board retracting. I will try to get some photos.
                  david

                • sail_and_oar
                  Message 8 of 8 , 21 Aug
                    The new boat seems to work. We had a few teething problems but small stuff really. Conditions for a shakedown on Saturday weren't quite ideal but we did OK under single reefed main and storm jib. We beat on up to Ella Nore and returned goosewinged, holding the jibsheet as it was a bit too windy to get the jib stick set. I was using Daydream's rig and Centreboard with the new hull and rudder. Sunday was quieter and I sailed up to Dell Quay and returned in company with a Devon Yawl. It was upwind and although the 16 footer was faster, the Mirror pointed higher and we eventually left them behind.

                    It was great to see everyone again. Thanks to Liz for organising it all, Chris for the pull out at the very steep slipway, Janice for a hug and her good news and to everyone for being good fun. I'm hoping to return next weekend.

                    Cliff