Saturday 16th daysail

  • Chris Partridge
    Message 1 of 12 , 11 Sep
      I plan to join in this weekend but for a daysail only on Saturday, launching at Hardway in the morning. What is the plan? Cowes for lunch? Is Fishbourne IoW feasible on a neap tide - we could go to the pub next to the beach. Is the Sloop in Wootton Bridge accessible at low tide?

      .
      Message 2 of 12 , 11 Sep
        Chris, I have blundered! I had got the tides wrong. The crossing will be too much for me to risk at my age in a small boat without an engine. I will offer a daysail from Itchenor as an alternative for the less experienced and adventurous.

        However some may wish to cross to Fishbourne either as a strenuous daysail or staying overnight. From memory it should be possible to get up to Wootton Bridge at low water neaps. There is (or was) was a low water landing near the pub. If grounding on the beach nearing high water watch out for spiky bits. My hull was punctured once.

        regards Len

        Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 10:07 AM
        Subject: [dinghysolent] Saturday 16th daysail

        I plan to join in this weekend but for a daysail only on Saturday, launching at Hardway in the morning. What is the plan? Cowes for lunch? Is Fishbourne IoW feasible on a neap tide - we could go to the pub next to the beach. Is the Sloop in Wootton Bridge accessible at low tide?

        .

      • curlew5878
        Message 3 of 12 , 11 Sep
          Not sure what the plan is for Saturday. Where are we launching, is it two sites?
          By the way I walked on the foreshore at Emsworth tonight, the Moon just rising over the water, and came across a glow worm shining amongst the seaweed. I have not seen that on a beach before. Also lots of bats around me.
          Regarding boats, the Mirror now has a Bermudan option, using a two section mast. The youngsters prefer this, although the two seem much the same in performance.
          David
          Message 4 of 12 , 11 Sep
            Yes David. My previous e mail seems to have failed. Portsmouth Harbour at low water is not very attractive. Two alternatives remain:

            1) A daysail or overnight cruise over to Fishbourne. With a small boat, without motor and at my age I should not host this demanding daysail, and I have no carer-cover for the Sunday.
            2) I will therefore host a daysail from Itchenor to East Head where I hope to capsize test my 11 foot Gull. Unfortunately I do not have a wet suit or dry suit.

            I must apologise for not realising this tide situation earlier. Len

            Message 5 of 12 , 12 Sep
              Hi Len
              Hoping to sail Itchenor - E Head on Saturday. Reasonable winds from NW, a beam wind both ways, but a drop of rain centred on lunchtime. Portsmouth single HW 0858.
              David

                Message 7 of 12 , 12 Sep
                  Hi Len
                  I can take Steve if he comes. It is nice for me to have a crew.
                  David
                • Chris Partridge
                  Message 8 of 12 , 13 Sep
                    I will start from Itchenor as that is the mood of the meeting. Also much closer to home!

                    .
                    Message 9 of 12 , 13 Sep

                      Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:14 AM

                      I will start from Itchenor as that is the mood of the meeting. Also much closer to home!

                      .Many thanks Chris and David. We hope to see Steve, and Ian Barrett there too. len Wingfield

                    • cee.dubs
                      Message 10 of 12 , 15 Sep

                        I am also planning to join you tomorrow

                        Launching from Cobnor

                        As ever

                        Chris W

                      • stevebradwellenterprise
                        Message 11 of 12 , 15 Sep
                          I would have liked to be with you sailing but working instead. Just got back from a week sailing the Blackwater. Lovely location, weather not so good, forced home by Aileen (storm not wife!)

                          Steve
                          Message 12 of 12 , 15 Sep
                            I look forward to seeing you all on Itchenor hard. I am hoping that a new member Steve will be coming (boatless) but have failed to make contact. I need to check my boat’s buoyancy problems, so intend to make experiments at East Head. These ought to include a capsize, but in view of chilling won’t promise. members will be entitled to encourage me with derisive remarks. Or to sail off and leave me to it!  Len W

                            Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 12:09 PM
                            Subject: [dinghysolent] Re:: Saturday 16th daysail: Now Itchenor launching