Re: : Re: : Re: Re:: Re: : Re: : Re: [dinghysolent]: Saturday 30th Fowle

  • Chris Partridge
    Message 1 of 13 , 25 Sep
      The forecast for Saturday keeps getting better. All we need is a bit of sun and it will be a perfect day.
      The wind is predicted to be a westerly F3/4 building to F4/5 in the afternoon.
      So...my plan is to launch at Warblington as soon as feasible, leave the rig down and row into wind and tide towards Langstone until I have got through the bridges. Up with the rig, sail to Southsea Marina where the Marina Bar offers a nice lunch. Onward out of the harbour and across Hayling Bay where I should arrive at the harbour mouth in time to catch the young flood up to Warblington. Get the boat out at the earliest opportunity, go to Blue Bell, drink beer.
      How’s that for a passage plan?

      .
    • Alan Moulton
      Message 2 of 13 , 25 Sep

        That sounds like a plan Chris. What can you tell us about Southsea Marina near Low Water. Is there a pontoon to tie onto? Any charges? Accessible LW Neaps? etc Alan

        The forecast for Saturday keeps getting better. All we need is a bit of sun and it will be a perfect day.
        The wind is predicted to be a westerly F3/4 building to F4/5 in the afternoon.
        So...my plan is to launch at Warblington as soon as feasible, leave the rig down and row into wind and tide towards Langstone until I have got through the bridges. Up with the rig, sail to Southsea Marina where the Marina Bar offers a nice lunch. Onward out of the harbour and across Hayling Bay where I should arrive at the harbour mouth in time to catch the young flood up to Warblington. Get the boat out at the earliest opportunity, go to Blue Bell, drink beer.
        How’s that for a passage plan?

        .

      • Christopher Peacock
        Message 3 of 13 , 25 Sep
          I am intending to join you all in the harbour on Saturday. I will be limited to Chichester harbour but will look out for you all returning from your various circumnavigations.

          See you on the water.

          Chris
          (Pearl)

          Message 4 of 13 , 25 Sep
            I will also be staying in Chichester Harbour on Saturday, as I will not be able to get down there and launch early enough to be able to circumnavigate. I will be launching at Itchenor and will try to catch up with the circumnavigators as you come in from the sea, and then overnight at Fowley Island.
          • alan.moulton
            Message 5 of 13 , 25 Sep
              The list of potential attendees for this rally continues to grow both for the daysail on the Saturday and also for the overnight on Fowley Island.

              Some are planning to daysail in Chichester Harbour, including Liz, Tom K., Chris Peacock & also Rob Stracey who I met at the Oxey Rally. Tom Hart is planning to daysail in Langstone Harbour in his home built Twixt dinghy (balance lug I think) and is hoping to meet the circumnavigators on their way round. Those planning an ACW passage around Hayling include Chris Partridge, Len, Ian Barrett, Chris W and myself. Have I missed anyone?

              High tide on Saturday evening is around 8pm, slightly earlier than the rally program states which is good as the overnighters won't be able to get into Fowley until an hour before HT. Hence the suggestion to tie onto the Pontoon at Emsworth and visit the pub before then. I'm thinking we will be able to reach the pontoon from around 5.30 pm, possibly earlier, but (as anyone who has read the recent Dinghy Cruising bulletin will know) I'm not an expert when it comes to Emsworth tides!

              Alan

            • jimbobtom
              Message 6 of 13 , 25 Sep
                I'm only a hopeful maybe Alan, I might not be able to arrive until 5.30pm to launch.
                So time pressures may end up being too great on the day.
                As usual I have the dilemma of where to launch, as I will be towing with my work van full of tools, unknown launch and parking sites need consideration.
                Tom

                Oh and as for your expertise on Emsworth tides, I assumed you plan to take us all to the custard slice shop just in case

              • jimbobtom
                Message 7 of 13 , 25 Sep
                  Forgot to say, I would be staying overnight.
                  Tom
                • tomhart66
                  Message 8 of 13 , 25 Sep
                    I do think that this is a superb piece of writing by Chris W:

                    'You haven't lived until you've knocked yet more paint and a smidge of ply off your board, wending your way East of the Winner in Chichester entrance; then gambolled amongst the groin ends North of West pole; ridden the rip over the barely covered isthmus of the East Winner outside Langstone; planed in six inches, over the mud flats North of Sinah - sucking bottom; clipped feet from the rubble strewn North East Corner of Hayling; stalled in the weed inshore of 'Marker'; to clonk closely over the concrete and the crud on that corner of Thorney; and finally slithered through the kelp South of Pilsey....'

                    Well worth including in the next quarterly journal!

                    Tom.
                  • Elizabeth Baker
                    Message 9 of 13 , 27 Sep
                      I don't like the forecast for Sunday - heavy rain and strong winds.
                      Liz

                      Message 10 of 13 , 27 Sep
                        Quite so Liz. The forecast for Sunday seems to worsen every day as we get closer. The Met office is now indicating 23mph winds with 40mph gusts on Sunday morning as a result of a front moving through over Saturday night. I think it would be imprudent to camp overnight in these conditions so unless the forecast changes significantly I think we should treat this as a Saturday daysail only. Alan

                        Message 11 of 13 , 28 Sep
                          I hope to launch from Bedhampton if I can get down in time after my carer duties. (I hope I won’t be stuck in the mud waiting for the new flood to release me!) If I am sensible I will return from Sinah/Eastney direct to Bedhampton. If not I will continue ACW.

                          It is good to see the newer members re-vitalising the DCA.

                          Len

                          Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:14 AM

                          Message 12 of 13 , 29 Sep

                            We are definitely on for a daysail tomorrow. The Met office has somewhat moderated its view of the forecast for Sunday. Looking at various locations around the harbour area and also other weather websites, I think the nearest to a consensus is that it will be F5 gusting upwards with some possibility of coastal gales and definite rain. I will wait until this evening before making a final decision on whether to call this one a daysail only but I would particularly welcome the opinions of others who were planning on camping over. I think that would be Rob, Tom and Liz. Any other views also gratefully received. Alan

                            Message 13 of 13 , 29 Sep
                              Hello Alan,
                              Fond as I am of Fowley Island, the thought of attempting to land against increasing wind and rain, with the very neap tide  also making it difficult to beat up the narrow gulley, possibly also in the dark, and the prospect of strong winds on Sunday, does not appeal, so I had already decided a Sat day-sail would be preferable, aiming go get back to Cobnor and packed-up before the worst of the rain begins.
                              Liz