Re: : Re: : Re: : Re: Re:: Re: : Re: : Re: [dinghysolent]: Saturday

  • Chris Partridge
    Message 1 of 40 , 29 Sep
    The forecast foot tomorrow has just turned nasty too...
    image1.jpeg

    Chris Partridge
    Office: +44 1243 574850
    Mobile: +44 7777 663551
    The Globe House
    Fishbourne
    West Sussex PO18 8AR
    Message 40 of 40 , 14 Oct 11:45
      Enjoyable rally, excellent weather, no problems launching and recovering at Dell Quay, many thanks Cliff. Len

      Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 10:33 PM
      Subject: Re: : Re: [dinghysolent]: Saturday

      Thanks Liz. The puzzling thing is that the buoyancy appears OK. The most worrying thing is that I made the bad decision to sail outside, and continued when I could still have turned back!  Len

      Sent: Sunday, October 1, 2017 3:18 PM
      Subject: Re: Re:: Re: [dinghysolent]: Saturday

      Hello Len, very distressed to learn you've capsized again, but thankful you are OK now. I was a bit worried as I noticed that Hayling Lifeboat had been out a couple of times, and hoped it wasn't for you, but it seems it was. As you say, lessons to be learned. Mobile phones cannot be relied upon to call for help when sailing, as a little bit of water puts them out of action. You need one of those personal locator beacons where you just press a button and it uses GPS to send an SOS with your position to the coastguard. Not cheap, but it could save your life. Better still, get a new boat with reliable buoyancy.

      I had to make an unscheduled visit to Eastbourne on Friday, which set me behind with my sailing preparations, so I got to Cobnor very late, then found the capstan not working. Although that doesn't stop me launching, it makes recovery difficult, so I decided not to launch. However, I eventually I found Diana Beale and she managed to fix it. In deference to the F6 in the forecast I pulled-down a double reef, but it was insufficient sail to get me over the now flooding tide, so I sailed backwards and forwards off Cobnor Point for a couple of hours, then packed-up. I should have shaken a reef out, but the weather to the south looked horrendous and I wondered how much wind was lurking amongst those black clouds. As it turned-out, not much, but I wasn't to know that till later. Sorry not to see any of you. I look forward to reading Alan's report as it seems to have been an eventful day.

      Liz