Rally Reports for the Bulletin

  • Keith Muscott
    Message 1 of 27 , 9 Oct 02:08
      Liz and South Coast rally reporters please note:

      The photographs in the Autumn Journal are poor this time because I found it so difficult to download high-res shots from the albums on dinghysolent that I resorted to taking screenshots.

      This also explains why there are no credits of photographers, as the process of transferring pics to the bulletin took so long.

      If I'd had the time I would have approached the photographers/reporters individually for high resolution shots of those pics I’d seen and liked, as I have done frequently in the past, but as I didn't receive the written reports until October 7th, two days ago (deadline was end of August) I clearly didn't have the time.

      I'm faced with this sort of scenario for every bulletin now, so perhaps you need to discuss whether you want a photographic record of your exploits in the Journal, bearing in mind that you have them recorded on dinghysolent anyway. If you decide you do, then perhaps you can discuss another approach which will get the material to me, reports and pics, by the deadline – or shortly afterwards, but only by negotiation with me.

      Whatever you decide, please be aware I am no longer going to trawl for SC photos at the eleventh hour; I think it's reasonable to expect them to be sent to me in good time now that it has become an onerous task to find them myself, and bearing in mind that this favour has of course been extended only to the S Coast group in the past.

      I realise this will not make easy reading, but at least it is on your forum and not in the bulletin itself, which is where I placed it at first because I was so angry about this situation, which has once again been dropped on me at the eleventh hour.

      Keith Muscott

    • stevebradwellenterprise
      Message 2 of 27 , 9 Oct 08:50
        For my part Keith I will send you direct a copy of any rally I host, with a few photos, as well as a report here for Liz to collate. Sorry to hear the problems you have had with this.

        Steve
      • Keith Muscott
        Message 3 of 27 , 9 Oct 09:06
          Thank you Steve.

          The trouble with a last-minute rush is that you are much more likely to make a pig’s ear of the job – or miss something important.

          In the present case, I finished placing all the reports and the photos in the pages of the bulletin and then went back idly to the dinghysolent albums this afternoon and discovered immediately that you need not go through the ‘actions’ menu as I had been doing previously (and had been failing to do now), but that it is possible to download large files from the thumbnails. Which now makes me feel like a plonker. I’m sure Yahoo keeps moving the goalposts. The problem is also that I have only needed to browse the albums four times a year, which has not accustomed me fully to using the site.

          The other aspect of receiving rallies one by one from individual rally organisers is that they build up slowly and methodically in the pages and I edit them as I go. I’ve never had a problem with receiving a big batch in the past, mind, as long as it has arrived in time for me to cope with it.

          Anyway, I’ve floated back down to earth now the job is done, but there are of course other things that came late to hand and still need doing – I had hoped that this issue would be out by now.

          Sorry about that.

          Keith

          On 9 Oct 2017, at 16:50, stevebradwell@... [dinghysolent] <dinghysolent@...> wrote:

          For my part Keith I will send you direct a copy of any rally I host, with a few photos, as well as a report here for Liz to collate. Sorry to hear the problems you have had with this.

          Steve

        • sail_and_oar
          Message 4 of 27 , 9 Oct 09:51
            Perhaps this is a useful moment to discuss establishing a protocol the rally hosts could follow to make life easier for Keith. It's no fun having to face the same unresolved problems time and time again. Being editor is an important job. If it becomes a burden both the editor and bulletin will suffer.

            I think most of us are able to look at the photos and identify some nice ones which might look good in the bulletin. We can usually tell who took the photos.

            It may be possible for the host to request high definition photos from the photographer(s), add these to the report and email them direct to Liz and Keith.

            Or does anybody have a better suggestion?

            Cliff

            ---In dinghysolent@..., <KeithMuscott@...> wrote :

[...]

          • Alan Moulton
            Message 5 of 27 , 9 Oct 10:13

              Cliff, that works for me, Alan

              Message 6 of 27 , 9 Oct 10:29
                I think it’s excellent that at least one area group of the DCA pools its pictures and comments in a place that is available to all its members. Absolutely nothing but praise for that. But that takes care of just one outlet – the online publishing bit.

                I would like to be certain that I can count on receiving good text and pics for the Journal as well – received in good time, of course. I’m forever telling people that rally reports are the backbone of the association – even created an award for the best of them – so clearly I’ve got nothing against processing them and printing them; far from it.

                There is no need for Liz to be burdened with compiling them all before sending them to me these days – they just get edited twice anyway, doing it like that. If you can email the individual reports to me at the same time as to Liz she could still collect them and keep them together and be aware of what’s going on, and I'd stand a chance of getting them processed steadily and methodically – and maybe even have the time to root through the albums occasionally – as long as Yahoo lets me. But that’s up to Liz and you to look into.

                Keith

                On 9 Oct 2017, at 17:51, dreamingdotcom@... [dinghysolent] <dinghysolent@...> wrote:

[...]

              • paulh_boats
                Message 7 of 27 , 9 Oct 23:34
                  Yahoo is the problem. So best to avoid it for Journal matters.

                  As Cliff said one can email Kieth directly.

                  We could also upload rally photos and reoorts to the DCA Forum.

                  I find that Google Photos is excellent on PCs and phones. Storage is unlimited up to 16MB per photo; beyond that photos are stored as HD. Access is fast and searching is amazing.

                  A group account for DCA or Journal photos would be a great solution. Or Keith could share specific albums with specific people i.e rally hosts The world could be given read-only access to specific albums and blocked from the rest.

                  Cheers
                  Paul
                • Chris Partridge
                  Message 8 of 27 , 10 Oct 01:23
                    This is another really bad feature of Yahoo! Groups. There is no reason why we should post pictures there - we could easily set up an account with Google Photos or Flickr or something and store images there, where Keith could easily retrieve the full resolution versions for the magazine.
                  • stevebradwellenterprise
                    Message 9 of 27 , 10 Oct 07:11
                      I beleave Flickr is a Yahoo company. Photos in Dinghysolent are accessed via Flickr and can usually be be downloaded by anyone on our group at full resolution. It is possible to restrict access to full file downloading on Flickr settings but by default I beleave they are full res. I think I’ve mentioned this before but to download a photo from one of the albums click on the tray with a south facing arrow. You can then save it to your files or photo album.

                      Steve
                    • Keith Muscott
                      Message 10 of 27 , 10 Oct 08:26
                        RALLY REPORTS and PHOTOGRAPHS

                        The main aim should always be that the rally organiser has ‘ownership’ of the rally, as s/he is hosting it and overseeing whatever organisation is required, however minimal.

                        In practice this usually works out with me expecting the organiser to send me a report at some point fairly soon after the event (in the past there have been reports submitted at least a year on – definitely a turn-off), or, the organiser can delegate that job to another (willing) party.

                        Same applies to photographs. Anyone can send me a raft of shots to select from, as attachments to an email (or several emails) or as a job lot sent to my DropBox, but to avoid frayed tempers that should be cleared with the organiser first.
                        In one notable NW rally last year, the weather was calm so everyone resorted to amateur photography and my inbox was stuffed with photos for a week afterwards. (It did lead to me selecting one for a journal cover, though, from someone who had joined recently, so I shouldn't complain.)

                        But I do find the simplest way is best, so receiving a report (as say a WORD doc), then another email with 2/3 photos from no more than a couple of people is always manageable. As I use a MAC, please avoid exotic word processors or file formats that are dedicated to PCs. Mine is a recent very fully specified iMac, but there have been occasions when I’ve found files impossible to open. If you’re really stuck with this, embed your report in an email; definitely second-best, but manageable.

                        While I’m on this subject, remember that the industry standard for decent pictures is 300dpi, which means more or less that I struggle with 1MB resolution or less (which is why a thumbnail for VDU viewing is a non-starter). I cope fine with 2MB, and really start to smile when I receive 4MB. No need usually for more than 5/6MB. Remember that cropping and enlarging really exposes the shortcomings of low resolution photofiles.

                        Bear in mind that a typical routine rally report will carry three photos max, unless it is a major rally abroad or similar, so it is best to avoid such deluges as that one described above. As both smartphones and waterproof digital cameras are routinely carried these days, a certain amount of selection can often be done during a coffee break ashore, with photos being shown to the leader, and perhaps approved. Best to keep it as simple as possible and work out your own individual solutions as organisers; that way you won’t feel that it has become a chore which you have to perform repeatedly, after you’ve set up a complex procedure.

                        Remember my favourite quotation: ‘Over-complication is the first impulse of the ingenious mind.’

                        (Much better than KISS, because those who over-complicate are never stupid!)

                        And don’t worry about typos, misspellings, etc … They will be dealt with summarily. Shot down like dogs, without waiting for dawn …

                        Keith

                        Message 11 of 27 , 10 Oct 08:40
                          This was ambiguous: ‘… then another email with 2/3 photos from no more than a couple of people is always manageable …'

                          What I meant was, that two or three people sending me no more than two or three selected photos each is definitely ample – just this side of overkill, in fact.

                          Keith
                        • stevebradwellenterprise
                          Message 12 of 27 , 10 Oct 10:19
                            Sorry about the spelling in my last message. Just looked at it again, not good!

                            Steve
                          • Keith Muscott
                            Message 13 of 27 , 10 Oct 10:26
                              It’s only an email, Steve … I didn't notice anything … K

                              Message 14 of 27 , 10 Oct 10:59

                                OK Chris, why don't you?

                                Cliff

                                  Message 16 of 27 , 11 Oct 00:50
                                    There I go again, suggesting Picasa and Flickr, which are really needless complications; the usual bear-trap.

                                    I have just received a late rally report for the NW Menai Rally from Colin Holt. The pics were provided first by Colin attaching four or five to his email and then by John Hughes directing me to the right section of his Flickr site, as he always does. As usual, there is an embarrassment of riches to choose from, as I will only use 3/4 to illustrate the rally, but on this occasion one of Colin’s will make a cracking cover photo for the Winter journal as well.

                                    Of course, no-one should feel bound to provide pics for their rally. Some daysails are fine just as short prose-only accounts. But I think all the decisions should remain with individual rally organisers, as to whether they hunt out photos themselves or enlist others’ help. Or both. Sending them to me as email attachments is fine, as four good ones are more than enough. Use more than one email if the size of the files prevents transmission. I have to do this frequently because of my lousy broadband in this area.

                                    One other thing: I now see that the thumbnails in the dinghysolent albums are placed there at quite different resolutions. Some can be downloaded easily at 6MB, others fall below 1MB and so can’t be used. If the dinghysolent albums stay as they are, I will be able to visit again in the future looking for back-up shots, but I don’t want to do this for more than one or two rallies. And it depends on whether sufficiently high resolution shots are available, of course.

                                    Keith

                                  • stevebradwellenterprise
                                    Message 17 of 27 , 11 Oct 01:16
                                      Some of my photos posted here Keith will have been cropped by me which will affect the resolution. I try to avoid cropping but holding a camera in one hand while steering and keeping the boat upright can be a challenge!

                                      Steve
                                    • Keith Muscott
                                      Message 18 of 27 , 11 Oct 01:20
                                        Very true!

                                        Keith.

                                      • paulh_boats
                                        Message 19 of 27 , 11 Oct 23:37
                                          Keith,

                                          If I take phone photos on a rally they will be 16M pixels. When I get back to Wi-Fi land Google Photos will upload new photos automatically, at full resolution.

                                          For me, it's the perfect solution.

                                          Horses for courses, of course!

                                          Cheers
                                          Paul
                                        • Keith Muscott
                                          Message 20 of 27 , 12 Oct 01:56
                                            Paul

                                            I’ve steered clear of mentioning smartphones, because really the latest cameras in them are on a par with many digital compacts, so they need to be classed simply as ‘cameras’. The move to waterproof phones completes the tick-list for their suitability afloat.

                                            What you are talking about here is how you handle the output, which doesn’t concern me at all, as long as I receive images of sufficient quality and resolution – or I am pointed to a site where I can download them very easily. I’ve got to be able to divide my time profitably and economically as the bulletin is a one-man show as regards editing and production.

                                            A bigger problem generally is a mystifying reluctance for some members to set their phones/cameras to take high resolution pics. When you consider the immense benefits of digital photography over film, what is irksome about this? Or even buying higher spec cards, if you really want to keep a zillion shots on the device? Storage has never been cheaper!

                                            I am often surprised when I ask for a really nice image to be sent to me again ‘straight out of the camera’ and find that the original is a piddling 750k or whatever.

                                            Lots of the stuff I receive now comes from smartphones, thankfully not as long strings of selfies – but that day may come!

                                            Happy snapping!

                                            Keith

                                            PS: a big danger for all to be aware of when sending images stems from the tendency of modern technology to ‘nanny’ the user. So if you’re not careful your super mailing app might decide for itself that your pics need to be trimmed down in size. I find this to be almost as annoying as the really stupid changes that are made to your text when it is constantly ‘corrected’. As on MAC Mail, which I am presently using.

                                            On 12 Oct 2017, at 07:37, paul3507@... [dinghysolent] <dinghysolent@...> wrote:

                                            Keith,

                                            If I take phone photos on a rally they will be 16M pixels. When I get back to Wi-Fi land Google Photos will upload new photos automatically, at full resolution.

                                            For me, it's the perfect solution.

                                            Horses for courses, of course!

                                            Cheers
                                            Paul

                                          • jimbobtom
                                            Message 21 of 27 , 12 Oct 14:43
                                              I wanted to comment re smartphones and using them on 'lower' settings.
                                              My phone is set on the lowest camera settings it has.
                                              Because for both my work website and a motorhome website, that I am involved with providing content for, if my phone is on any higher setting, the picture wont upload unless the go to through picture re sizing software first.

                                              I am not technical but, I would have taken low resolution photos without thinking and assumed that basically the camera on my phone is now 'too good' to be of use.
                                              Tom
                                            • Keith Muscott
                                              Message 22 of 27 , 13 Oct 01:22
                                                I think that you are using your device to best advantage if you suss out how to access the menu quickly and change the resolution, depending on whether you want to place the output online or use it for hard-copy printing.

                                                My Pentax waterproof (the last one called ‘Pentax’, they are all Ricohs now) allows you to change it about as fast as you change modes from landscape to macro, etc. However, I am never out of Photoshop, InDesign and the rest these days, so I’m usually lazy and leave it set on high resolution (12MB, 16:9 format – just checked) which means that I normally do all my adjustments on my desktop MAC.

                                                I also have an Olympus ‘Tough’, which has a brilliant spec but its finish is too shiny for knockabout onboard use – I’m always frightened its going to disappear over the side. Even the part-cover I got for it doesn’t fully overcome this.

                                                Underlying all this is one unassailable fact: you can do all kinds of things with a big, wide, high res image. Anything around 1MB or less means that you have to pass on that mediocrity to your viewing audience – the reader. And their standards and expectations are very high these days. There used to be a popular vulgar expression bandied about by computer nerds in the old days: ‘Shit in – shit out’. That fits low res images perfectly.

                                                Keith

                                                On 12 Oct 2017, at 22:43, jimbobtom@... [dinghysolent] <dinghysolent@...> wrote:

                                                I wanted to comment re smartphones and using them on 'lower' settings.
                                                My phone is set on the lowest camera settings it has.
                                                Because for both my work website and a motorhome website, that I am involved with providing content for, if my phone is on any higher setting, the picture wont upload unless the go to through picture re sizing software first.

                                                I am not technical but, I would have taken low resolution photos without thinking and assumed that basically the camera on my phone is now 'too good' to be of use.
                                                Tom

                                              • Elizabeth Baker
                                                Message 23 of 27 , 13 Oct 09:55
                                                  Keith,
                                                  Only a small number of South Coast members have cameras, so if none of these people attend a rally, there are no photos.
                                                  Liz

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , 13 Oct 13:48
                                                    Which pub, Jamie? When? Are you launching at Itchenor?

                                                    My plan, for what it’s worth, is to launch at Itchenor at approx 10 or whenever Paul Hadley arrives with Millibee, go to the new bar in Sparkes Marina on Hayling, get back in the afternoon. Possibly pop into The Ship in Itchenor if others are there. Go home.

                                                    Chris Partridge
                                                    Office: +44 1243 574850
                                                    Mobile: +44 7777 663551
                                                    The Globe House
                                                    Fishbourne
                                                    West Sussex PO18 8AR
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , 13 Oct 14:21
                                                      Yes, not all of us use cameras, but usually someone takes photos and puts them on Dinghysolent, so Keith could take his pick. Len

                                                      Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 5:55 PM
                                                      Subject: [dinghysolent] Rally Reports for the Bulletin

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , 13 Oct 23:37
                                                        The rally is at Dell Quay, so the rally pub will be there.
                                                        Liz

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , 14 Oct 01:53
                                                          But those that do have cameras, including yourself, tend to take a lot of photographs of excellent quality. As I’ve said, there’s nothing wrong with the smaller reports having no pics to accompany them anyway.

                                                          It’s ironical of course that a sailor with a camera can never take a shot of himself or herself while under way, unless it’s a selfie in the boat. Which goes a long way to explain why there are so many of boats drawn up on the beach!

                                                          Keith