Daysail Saturday, Ashlett & Calshot form Warsash.

  • alan.moulton
    Message 1 of 22 , 16 Nov

      So who is up for a daysail on Saturday? Ashlett Creek and Calshot Bay as per program. Alan

    • stevebradwellenterprise
      Message 2 of 22 , 16 Nov
        I plan to go Alan. The 18th is my birthday so it’s my round at the Jolly Sailor if we reach the head of the creek!

        Steve
      • jimbobtom
        Message 3 of 22 , 16 Nov
          Hi Alan, I have been contemplating this Saturday.
          However I currently cant get my wanderer out of my garden due to my helpful neighbour putting a skip across my gate!
          However I do have my 12ft motorboat that I usually use on the Thames in my garage which I can get at.
          What time are you thinking of launching and getting to Ashlett and or Calshot?
          I have never been to either by boat before.
          Tom
        • Alan Moulton
          Message 4 of 22 , 16 Nov

            Hi Tom,

            I was thinking of arriving at Warsash at 9.00 and being afloat no later than 10.00. It's not a long trip to either Ashlett or Calshot, but Ashlett Creek is a high water destination (tides on Saturday are good for that). I was planning on arriving lunchtime, for the pub as mentioned by Steve.

            Regards, Alan

            Message 5 of 22 , 16 Nov
              Many happy returns Steve! I don't think I'll be there as I can't afford the petrol for that long journey at present. I've just spent a lot to get car through MOT, and I have an expensive dental appointment coming-up next week, but hope to make the Itchenor rally on 2 Dec, weather permitting.
              Liz

              Message 6 of 22 , 16 Nov
                Hi Alan.
                That timing sounds good, obviously I should be a little bit faster in getting over to Ashlett, with the benefit of being able to make a direct course and in theory a top speed of 17knots possible but not likely!

                Of course as it's Steve's birthday too, it would be rude not to luncheon in the pub, especially as he offered to buy a round (tongue in cheek).
                On a serious note I am aware that it is my turn to buy too.

                Tom

                  Message 8 of 22 , 17 Nov

                    Hi Len,

                    The Met Office is presently forecasting wind speeds of 11 to 20 knots at Calshot Beach, at it's strongest (2pm) on Saturday. I wonder which website you are looking at? I have checked nearby locations on the met office website and they are all consistent with the 11-20 knots forecast.

                    Having said that 20 knot gusts are well into F5 territory and obviously this should be taken into account in your decision. We would love to see you there but not if you are uncomfortable with the forecast.

                    Best Regards, Alan

                      Message 10 of 22 , 17 Nov

                        Hi Alan,

                        Just finished my maintenance list in time, so looking forward to the birthday celebration daysail. Plan on getting to Warsash around 9h30. Kerris

                        Sent from Mail for Windows 10

                        Message 11 of 22 , 17 Nov
                          That's good Len. It looks like you may have a choice of boats to crew. You are welcome on mine anytime of course. Alan
                        • alan.moulton
                          Message 12 of 22 , 17 Nov
                            Kerris, Alastair, Steve, Tom, Len and anybody I've missed, I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow morning. Alan
                          • jimbobtom
                            Message 13 of 22 , 17 Nov
                              I'm not sure I can make it now (yet again). best wishes Steve, if I don't get down.
                              Tom

                                Message 15 of 22 , 18 Nov

                                  I took only a few photo's of the rally today and only several of these were vaguely in focus. I have created an album so any additions gratefully received. Many thanks to all who attended. Alan

                                  Message 16 of 22 , 18 Nov
                                    Glad you were able to join in today Len. We were lucky with the weather. I think the wind was a bit less than predicted.
                                     I enjoyed the rally but got off to a bad start with my reefed main. I really did not have enough sail up to cope with the shelter from the wind and strong cross tide when leaving Warsash hard. Ironically, bearing in mind my recent conversation with David, I was passing my mainsheet round it’s ratchet block to un-twist it instead of concentrating on getting clear of the jetty which I was swept into head on, and not, to my shame for the first time. Still no damage to boat or jetty which I put down to the lightness of my boat.
                                    Good to see every one.

                                    Steve
                                  • curlew5878
                                    Message 17 of 22 , 18 Nov
                                      Hi Steve
                                      I have lost count how many times my boat has encountered that pontoon!
                                      I am planning to sail from Warsash tomorrow, Sunday, returning late. Just a shake down cruise to test everything.
                                      david
                                    • stevebradwellenterprise
                                      Message 18 of 22 , 18 Nov
                                        Have a nice day David.

                                        Steve
                                      • curlew5878
                                        Message 19 of 22 , 19 Nov
                                          Decided to go to Chichester Harbour as the wind was marginally better at Chimet than Bramblemet. A sunny day and nice sailing with F2-3 winds.
                                          Saw rooks taking over a shingle spit, one of them standing next to an Egret and trying to copy its fishing technique, but no success.
                                          David
                                        • alan.moulton
                                          Message 20 of 22 , 22 Nov
                                            Hello All,

                                            Please see the draft rally report below. Please advise of amendments as necessary. Was my boat the only one with a name? Alan

                                            Ashlett Creek Rally 18/11/2017

                                            Attendees:

                                            Steve Bradwell                                             Enterprise

                                            Ian Barrett                                                     Heron

                                            Kerris Foster                                                 Hobie Trimaran

                                            Alastair                                                          Hobie Kayak

                                            Alan Moulton & Len Wingfield                  Kingfisher 11                    Kheya

                                            Ashlett Creek dries to mud, has limited tidal access and lies in Southampton Water closely situated between the disused Power Station and an Oil Refinery. This may sound a little off-putting but Ashlett, at the head of the Creek, is a pretty Hamlet with a preserved Tidal Mill serving as the Sailing Club and a welcoming pub called the Jolly Sailor. It has been a South Coast DCA destination for many years.

                                            We gathered on the foreshore at Warsash whilst making plans and decided to head straight for Ashlett to make the most of the lunchtime tide. Kerris had brought his Hobie Trimaran which is an interesting craft with a furling mainsail, kayak style paddles and a Hobie pedal-operated drive system. That made two craft attending the rally with this drive system as Alastair had brought his Hobie Kayak which was similarly equipped, although without outriggers. The remainder of us were sailing more conventional dinghies.

                                            We set off more or less together, in my case wondering why Len had not turned up as expected. This involved tacking out from the narrow Hard which lies between a Pontoon and a Jetty both projecting some way out into the river, whilst making allowance for a strong cross current due to the rising Spring tide. I was just about clear when Steve yelled over and pointed out Len hurrying along the pontoon trying to catch my attention. It was not that Len was late, just that I had launched several minutes early. So, I turned around, collected my crew for the day and set of a second time.

                                            Although we had agreed to head straight for Ashlett, Steve who was now ahead of us appeared to be heading for Calshot spit. For no particular reason and as we had plenty of time, we followed him curiously as he approached Calshot, then turned and sailed close by the Power Station before heading on to Ashlett Creek. Glancing back as we entered the Creek, I noticed that Kerris had indeed put ashore at Calshot.

                                            Alastair had beat us all to the Quay and we gathered awaiting Kerris, before deciding to go for a short walk along the shore for a closer look at the Power Station. On the way, I received news from Kerris that his Hobie Drive system had failed and partially dismantled itself which is why he had beached before running safely back to Warsash. The Power Station still makes a loud and ominous buzzing noise and parts of its grey concrete structure look like something out of a Science -fiction movie. The tall chimney at the rear of the complex is a landmark visible for many miles around and it’s high perimeter fence is topped off and footed with rolls of barbed wire that you really wouldn’t want to tangle with. Overall, it’s an interesting place to visit, if not beautiful. A short walk back along the partially wooded foreshore and we were back in Ashlett, such a contrast to where we had just visited.

                                             As it was Steve’s Birthday a Pub Lunch was called for, so we headed straight for the Jolly Sailor. Sitting next to the roaring log fire with a good meal in front of us, no-one was in a hurry to depart. Eventually, concern regarding the falling tide drove us back to our boats for a quick run back to Warsash in the freshening and gusty breeze. This was a short daysail, even by Winter daysail standards but it was an interesting and enjoyable one. Many thanks to those who attended.

                                            AM

                                          • curlew5878
                                            Message 21 of 22 , 22 Nov
                                              An interesting report, Alan, sorry I missed the sail.
                                              When boats have no name like that, when using the VHF I just call "DCA Enterprise" etc. People think it is a tanker or container carrier.
                                              There is a lot of wildlife at the power station as there are no people, but all that is due to change.
                                              David
                                            • Elizabeth Baker
                                              Message 22 of 22 , 22 Nov
                                                Many thanks Alan. Sorry I couldn't come - Warsash is a smidgen too far for me to drive and arrive in time unless I forego a night's sleep.
                                                Liz