Daysail Sat 2 Dec Itchenor for Sandy Point, HW 09.52

  • cjndavidson
    Message 1 of 19 , 25 Nov

      Dear All,

      I am the contact for the daysail on 2nd Dec.

      BBC weather forecast is NW, F3, max 5 C with sunny intervals which sounds fine.

      I plan to be at Itchenor hard with my old GP14, Nicodemus (I don't know why she was called that!) at 9am.

      I'm looking forward to meeting more experienced members. Anyone who would like to sail in Nicodemus is welcome.

      Kind regards,

      Chris Davidson

      07586 257648

    • curlew5878
      Message 2 of 19 , 25 Nov
        Hello Chris
        I will try to get to this one. Weather sounds OK.
        David
        Message 3 of 19 , 26 Nov
          I also hope to come. (old 11’ Gull) reg

          Sent: Saturday, November 25, 2017 3:12 PM
          Subject: [dinghysolent] Daysail Sat 2 Dec Itchenor for Sandy Point, HW 09.52

          Dear All,

          I am the contact for the daysail on 2nd Dec.

          BBC weather forecast is NW, F3, max 5 C with sunny intervals which sounds fine.

          I plan to be at Itchenor hard with my old GP14, Nicodemus (I don't know why she was called that!) at 9am.

          I'm looking forward to meeting more experienced members. Anyone who would like to sail in Nicodemus is welcome.

          Kind regards,

          Chris Davidson

          07586 257648

        • stevebradwellenterprise
          Message 4 of 19 , 26 Nov
            Me also.

            Steve.  (Enterprise)
          • Elizabeth Baker
            Message 5 of 19 , 26 Nov
              I will try and come with my 11ft Slipper dinghy (rather like a Mirror), unless the weather is very cold, but with a two hour drive, I will struggle to be there by 9am, let alone ready to sail.
              Liz

              Message 6 of 19 , 26 Nov

                I also hope to make it, Chris

                Launching from Cobnor - West side of Bosham creek, 'kitty corner' across from Itchenor

                Chris W

                Polly Wee

              • joemurphyofkingston
                Message 7 of 19 , 26 Nov
                  Hoping to be there.
                • Chris Davidson
                  Message 8 of 19 , 30 Nov

                    Dear All,

                    The forecast for Saturday looks like it will be a little bit milder with perhaps some light rain.

                    So far the following have indicated that they will be launching: Liz, Alastair (from W. Wittering), Chris W (from Cobnor), David, Joe, Len and Steve.

                    I look forward to seeing you.

                    Kind regards,

                    Chris D

                    07586 257648

                    Message 9 of 19 , 30 Nov
                      Yes the forecast does look as though it will be slightly milder, but I have been having second thoughts because its been so cold, and I don't relish getting-up in the middle of the night to defrost car windscreeens and hitch-up boat and getting frozen before even starting my journey down. However, I'll see how it feels tomorrow, and if it's too cold I might just come down without the boat to see you all and walk to East Head.
                      Liz

                      Message 10 of 19 , 1 Dec 11:03
                        Hi Liz,
                        OK. We'll look out for you.
                        Chris

                        Sent from my iPad

                        Message 11 of 19 , 1 Dec 11:32
                          Not quite so cold today, so at present planning to bring my boat. There's still the problem of setting-off in the middle of the night though, so might not be there before you all set-sail.
                          Liz

                          Message 12 of 19 , 1 Dec 15:39
                            Sorry Chris, I can no longer make it.  I hope you all have a good sail and stay warm.
                            Best wishes, joe
                          • stevebradwellenterprise
                            Message 13 of 19 , 3 Dec 07:48

                              Some photos of the Sandy Point day sail posted the in the album section. Feel free to add your photos to the album. Thanks to Chris for hosting. For anyone looking for a reason to go sailing in December it was a lovely day. The wild life in the harbour was spectacular. Highlights for me were the swimming deer, they are good swimmers. The seal that surfaced near my boat off the south shore of Thorney Island and the flock of hundreds of geese that flew above my mast as I rowed back to Itchenor as the sun was setting. The noise they made was awe inspiring.

                              Steve
                            • cee.dubs
                              Message 14 of 19 , 3 Dec 09:07

                                I've seen some stuff in the harbour in my time

                                But that is something else

                                I'm glad it was going with the tide; (tell me you took it after 15.30 and make a liar out of me).

                                But actually, I'm here to praise Yahoo, who once again have managed to find a way of avoiding my knowing how to 'save' the individual picture....

                                My step daughter would love to see it

                                The day before yesterday they lost my message upload exhorting Len to submit his Hayling Challenge log as being much more interesting, seamanlike and instructive than my paltry offering.  Failure to upload happens to me about one in every half dozen attempts.

                                Is there anything Yahoo gives more than a 'perfunctory irrelevant toss' about?

                                Chris W

                              • Chris Davidson
                                Message 15 of 19 , 3 Dec 09:44
                                  Steve,
                                  Great photo of the deer. It reminds me of the story of the cattle in the Western Isles that swim between the islands! Your photo of my boat is a reminder for me to remove those wrinkles from the mainsail.
                                  I have added a few photos. It was so peaceful ghosting back on the dying wind with the setting sun behind.
                                  Chris

                                  Sent from my iPad

                                    Message 17 of 19 , 3 Dec 11:21
                                      Thanks Chris and Chris. As you liked it I’ve posted another deer pick. They were taken around mid-day so he/she’s not swimming against the tide. I don’t know if deer know about tidal flow, maybe they do! It’s not clear from the photos but it’s general direction of travel was north from the Itchenor shoreline towards the Cobnor pennisular. I’ve seen a deer swimming across a wide part of Poole harbour in the past so I think it’s just something deer do.

                                      Steve
                                    • curlew5878
                                      Message 18 of 19 , 3 Dec 11:51
                                        They tried to introduce little Sika deer on to Brownsea Island about a hundred years ago but they swam across to Studland Heath.
                                        David
                                        Message 19 of 19 , 3 Dec 23:45
                                          We often get Roe deer in our Guildford garden, and I have had them leering at me over the allotment fence, but I have never seen one swimming! Len

                                          Sent: Sunday, December 3, 2017 7:21 PM