simple trolley design

  • Stephen Davies
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2017

    Hello people of the south coast,
    I put to you my design for a simple, stowable, trolley, because I think you are practical, and will tell me if I am wrong, or may have some idea how I could manufacture this and possibly adapt my mirror dinghy.
    My thought is that the trolley could be fitted at sea, anchored or hove to, ready to go a shore, a little like aeroplanes putting their landing gear down.
    Surely someone must have been here before, or it won't work.
    I am new to this group, but I met some of you, in the autumn on a cruise from Itchenor.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Stephen
  • jimbobtom
    Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2017
      Great idea, I also used the 'chassis' from a gold club trolley for years, it had the lower frame with the wheels and 2 uprights in front of them that used to hold the bag, the boat sat on the chassis above the wheels and the uprights stopped it sliding off by resting up the transom.
      But you had to push the boat backwards at all times though.

      Tom
    • jimbobtom
      Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2017
        That should read Golf trolley not Gold.

        Tom
      • Stephen Davies
        Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2017
          Thanks Tom,
          Did you then Ship the trolley when you went to sea?
          I think the golf  trolley could be made to work, but being narrow would require more care and involve more risk.
          I am hoping that, if well manufactured, my separate wheels, held together with carefully designed straps, could work reliably for any landing.
          It couldn't easily be sold commercially as it would need to be adapted specially for each boat, and if not set up right could cause serious damage to the boat.
          I wouldn't mind throwing some money at this, the advantage of your gold trolley is that it would cost next to nothing.
           No matter how hard I try to insist on the word "golf" my device also trys to correct to"gold"!
          Stephen

          ,___
        • jimbobtom
          Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2017
            I just left the Golf trolley in the dinghy park. I will see if I can find a picture of it but I m going back maybe 14 years or so.

            Tom
          • scott.jamie60
            Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2017
              You might like to have a look at this Youtube clip.

               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgffna6rY6w

              Hopefully it shows a Wayfarer being rollered up the beach - with four boats worth of crew they make it easy.

              Some people tie two rollers together very tightly end to end so that the boat is less likely to slip off - another school of thought says don't do that to a wooden wayfarer as it might cause damage, better to keep it on the keel.

              Anyway - I bought two of the biggest fenders I could find - I can just about lift the front of the boat onto the fender.

              I would think it would be very easy to use fenders with a Mirror sized dinghy.

              regards

              Jamie
            • Neil Sutherland

                  Message 9 of 13 , Dec 31, 2017
                    TThis is the standard method for sailing clubs in my local area, East Sussex, where we only have a shingle beach over which launching trolleys are useless. A Mirror can be rolled by a single person only, although it is easier with two people. Smaller rollers (fenders) than those illustrated can be used to move a boat over a harder surface such as sand.
                    Liz

                    Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2017
                      Jamie,

                      I am having a new clinker boat built and I am interested in finding fenders that I can use as buoyancy bags and rollers as well. Where did you buy your fenders?

                      Regards,
                      Chris

                      Sent from my iPad

                      On 30 Dec 2017, at 12:47, jamesscott672@... [dinghysolent] <dinghysolent@...> wrote:

                      You might like to have a look at this Youtube clip.

                       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgffna6rY6w

                      Hopefully it shows a Wayfarer being rollered up the beach - with four boats worth of crew they make it easy.

                      Some people tie two rollers together very tightly end to end so that the boat is less likely to slip off - another school of thought says don't do that to a wooden wayfarer as it might cause damage, better to keep it on the keel.

                      Anyway - I bought two of the biggest fenders I could find - I can just about lift the front of the boat onto the fender.

                      I would think it would be very easy to use fenders with a Mirror sized dinghy.

                      regards

                      Jamie

                    • mrpsmith77
                      Message 11 of 13 , Dec 31, 2017

                        Hi.

                        If you're looking for a bigger roller / buoyancy we use 2 of these on our wayfarer and they're pretty rugged.

                        Mark

                         https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-inflatable-boat-roller-400kgs-160x25cm.html?sqr=Boat%20roller&#.WkkZ2Y-nzmw

                      • Elizabeth Baker
                        Message 12 of 13 , Dec 31, 2017
                          They an be bought in most yacht chandlers, in varying sizes. Force 4 chandlers sell them.
                          Liz

                          Message 13 of 13 , 1 Jan 01:16

                          Thanks and a happy New Year to everyone.

                          Chris

                          Sent from Mail for Windows 10