Dove Dale

  • Angela
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
      Hi all

      I had a walk 'along' Dove Dale yesterday. The pictures are at the usual
      place

      http://www.peakwalker.net

      Angela
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
        --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Angela" <angela@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > I had a walk 'along' Dove Dale yesterday. The pictures are at the
        usual
        > place
        >
        > http://www.peakwalker.net
        >
        > Angela

        Hi Angela
        Cannot find your pictures??
        Sue
      • Angela
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
          Hi Sue

          The link works fine for me but here it is again

          http://www.peakwalker.net

          If they don't appear it could be a server issue.

          Angela

          --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Susan" <suekennerley@...>

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
            Hi Angela,

            The link worked fine for me. Good to see you out on a dry sunny day.
            Dove Dale is a lovely place, and great to be able to walk it without
            all the crowds !

            Cheers
            Ann
          • RICHARD RATCLIFFE
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
              Hi Angela,
              Nice pics. I must try to visit the Peak District every now and again. I've been twice as far as I can recall and on both visits I ended up underground rather than on top. Whenever I read you walking accounts, I always feel a little sad when pub visits and ale drunk are "none". Keep up the good walk,
              Richard,
              Burnley

            • Angela
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
                Hi Ricahrd

                Thanks for the compliment. Hint the pub visits usually say none when
                I'm out walking alone as I'm not keen on sitting in pubs by myself.

                Angela

                --- In fellwalkingclub@..., RICHARD RATCLIFFE
                <richard.ratcliffe4@...> wrote:

                > Hi Angela,
                > Nice pics. I must try to visit the Peak District every now and
                again. I've been twice as far as I can recall and on both visits I
                ended up underground rather than on top. Whenever I read you walking
                accounts, I always feel a little sad when pub visits and ale drunk
                are "none". Keep up the good walk,
                > Richard,
                > Burnley

              • Angela
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
                  Hi Ann

                  Yes Dove Dale without the crowds is great and with the signs up and
                  the cold weather there were even less people than usual for a
                  weekday. Usually when I go during the week there is a school party
                  with all their equipment out on a field trip there wasn't any no
                  doubt they had been warned about the path closure.

                  Mind I always think you are lucky to be able to get out on the fells
                  during the week when it's not school holidays. One reason why I'm
                  looking forward to our visit to Grasmere and Loweswater in March.
                  Mellbreak and Hen Comb are on the to do list again, hopefully our
                  legs will still be up to them by the time we get to Loweswater!!

                  Angela

                  --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Roger and Ann Hiley"
                  <hiley105@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Angela,
                  >
                  > The link worked fine for me. Good to see you out on a dry sunny
                  day.
                  > Dove Dale is a lovely place, and great to be able to walk it
                  without
                  > all the crowds !
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Ann

                • Linda Charnley
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
                    Hi Angela,

                    It was interesting to see half snow, half green scenery! Nice to know they named a Dale after me! LOL!

                    Regards

                    Lin

                  • Angela
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                      Hi all

                      As the rain had finally stopped and my car had been repaired (it
                      wouldn't start the day before) I headed out to Dove Dale with my main
                      aim being to climb along the ridge to the summit of Bunster Hill.
                      Although I felt a couple of spots of rain I managed to stay dry all day
                      and even saw some genuine blue sky and sunshine. Photos at the usual
                      place:

                      http://www.peakwalker.net

                      It would appear that even fractured little toes take longer than a
                      fortnight to heal as I certainly knew about it when I was going
                      downhill and caught an awkward stone/rock so I guess I'll be taping it
                      back up when I'm in the Lakes next week. Hopefully we will make it this
                      time, third-time-lucky etc!!

                      Angela
                    • David Parry
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                        Hi Angela

                        Just looked at your photies, some lovely shots there - thanks for sharing

                        I do hope your toes heel soon and they don't impede your trip to the lakes
                        next week

                        Kind regards and thanks again

                        Dave P

                        Mr. David Parry
                        Logistics Manager
                        Branded Drinks Partnership
                        5 Trafalgar Road
                        Birkdale
                        Southport
                        PR8 2EA

                        Tel : 0870 066 0947
                        Fax : 0870 066 0948

                        Email : <mailto:david.parry@...>
                        david.parry@...

                        Personal Site : http://llangdalelover.fotopic.net/

                        _____

                        http://www.peakwalk <http://www.peakwalker.net> er.net

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                          Hi David

                          Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

                          I managed a couple of short and flat walks when I had a broken leg
                          and was on crutches so a broken toe isn't going to stop me!

                          Angela

                          --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "David Parry"
                          <david.parry@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Angela
                          >
                          > Just looked at your photies, some lovely shots there - thanks for
                          sharing

                          > I do hope your toes heel soon and they don't impede your trip to
                          the lakes
                          > next week
                          >
                          > Kind regards and thanks again
                          >
                          > Dave P
                          >
                          > Mr. David Parry
                          > Logistics Manager
                          > Branded Drinks Partnership
                          > 5 Trafalgar Road
                          > Birkdale
                          > Southport
                          > PR8 2EA
                          >
                          > Tel : 0870 066 0947
                          > Fax : 0870 066 0948
                          >
                          > Email : <mailto:david.parry@...>
                          > david.parry@...
                          >
                          > Personal Site : http://llangdalelover.fotopic.net/
                          >

                          > _____

                        • John Paterson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                            Hi Angela,

                            Thanks for those photos which take me back to younger days - both
                            walking and climbing. Never seen Tissington Spires from above
                            before - just from the path by the river.

                            Cheers

                            John
                            PS - broken toes always take longer to heal than you expect - it is a
                            law of life. :(

                            --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Angela" <angela@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all
                            >
                            > As the rain had finally stopped and my car had been repaired (it
                            > wouldn't start the day before) I headed out to Dove Dale with my
                            main
                            > aim being to climb along the ridge to the summit of Bunster Hill.
                            > Although I felt a couple of spots of rain I managed to stay dry all
                            day
                            > and even saw some genuine blue sky and sunshine. Photos at the
                            usual
                            > place:
                            >
                            > http://www.peakwalker.net
                            >
                            > It would appear that even fractured little toes take longer than a
                            > fortnight to heal as I certainly knew about it when I was going
                            > downhill and caught an awkward stone/rock so I guess I'll be taping
                            it
                            > back up when I'm in the Lakes next week. Hopefully we will make it
                            this
                            > time, third-time-lucky etc!!
                            >
                            > Angela

                          • Neil Haslewood
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                              Hi Angela

                              Well we have both done Bunster Hill this year although my walk was just an
                              afternoon walk from Ilam. The views from Bunster to Thorpe Cloud are great
                              aren't they!!

                              Hope your toe "repairs" itself soon and that you have a great time in the
                              Lakes next week. Are you still going to climb Bowfell next week? I am hoping
                              to climb Bowfell in the next few months as well!!

                              Neil

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                                Hi Neil

                                If I don't do Bowfell next week there will have been a major disaster
                                as I have been looking forward to doing it for my birthday for months.

                                Currently trying to work out the schedule as we are now definately
                                going up to Wasdale on Tuesday and the moving to Eskdale on Thursday.
                                At the moment I'm trying to decide which of the bigger hills I want
                                to do as well as Bowfell. Problems, problems :-)

                                Angela

                                --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Neil Haslewood"

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                                  Hi Angela,

                                  Glad that the rain stopped for you, lovely photos of Dove Dale,
                                  Thorpe Cloud and Bunster Hill - without the crowds too !

                                  I agree with John, a broken toe is not quite such a small injury as
                                  first thought. I have only broken one bone in my life ( touch wood,
                                  the only one too!), and that was a toe, doing nothing more exciting
                                  that putting the washing away and hitting it on the corner of the
                                  bed ! I thought I could manage with four just as easily,as I
                                  strapped the broken one to the next to enable it to heal.

                                  It was far more troublesome than I had imagined, so I do hope yours
                                  is doing well and that it will not hinder your week in the Lakes
                                  next week, Bowfell plus ! Have a great time !

                                  Cheers
                                  Ann
                                • Angela
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                                    Hi Ann

                                    Yes it was nice to get there without the crowds especially at this
                                    time of the year.

                                    (My) John has just informed me that there is meant to be a high
                                    pressure building next week so I might be really lucky with the
                                    weather. If I get sorted out I'll post the planned walks in case
                                    anyone is interested in joining us for a day although I know
                                    organisation could be difficult as in the past neither campsite has
                                    had mobile phone reception.

                                    <hiley105@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Angela,
                                    >
                                    > Glad that the rain stopped for you, lovely photos of Dove Dale,
                                    > Thorpe Cloud and Bunster Hill - without the crowds too !
                                    >
                                    > I agree with John, a broken toe is not quite such a small injury as
                                    > first thought. I have only broken one bone in my life ( touch wood,
                                    > the only one too!), and that was a toe, doing nothing more exciting
                                    > that putting the washing away and hitting it on the corner of the
                                    > bed ! I thought I could manage with four just as easily,as I
                                    > strapped the broken one to the next to enable it to heal.
                                    >
                                    > It was far more troublesome than I had imagined, so I do hope yours
                                    > is doing well and that it will not hinder your week in the Lakes
                                    > next week, Bowfell plus ! Have a great time !
                                    >
                                    > Cheers
                                    > Ann

                                  • Angela
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                                      Hi John

                                      If you venture closer to the edges than I did on this trip you can
                                      get quite a good view of several of the rock formations from above.
                                      As usual though they are more obvious in winter when the trees have
                                      no leaves on them, which is my favourite time to visit Dove Dale.

                                      Angela

                                      --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "John Paterson" <john@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Hi Angela,
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for those photos which take me back to younger days - both
                                      > walking and climbing. Never seen Tissington Spires from above
                                      > before - just from the path by the river.
                                      >
                                      > Cheers
                                      >

                                      > John
                                      > PS - broken toes always take longer to heal than you expect - it is
                                      > law of life. :(
                                      >

                                      > --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Angela" <angela@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi all
                                      > >
                                      > > As the rain had finally stopped and my car had been repaired (it
                                      > > wouldn't start the day before) I headed out to Dove Dale with my
                                      > main
                                      > > aim being to climb along the ridge to the summit of Bunster Hill.
                                      > > Although I felt a couple of spots of rain I managed to stay dry
                                      all
                                      > day
                                      > > and even saw some genuine blue sky and sunshine. Photos at the
                                      > usual
                                      > > place:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://www.peakwalker.net
                                      > >
                                      > > It would appear that even fractured little toes take longer than
                                      > > fortnight to heal as I certainly knew about it when I was going
                                      > > downhill and caught an awkward stone/rock so I guess I'll be
                                      taping
                                      > it
                                      > > back up when I'm in the Lakes next week. Hopefully we will make
                                      it
                                      > this
                                      > > time, third-time-lucky etc!!
                                      > >
                                      > > Angela

                                    • Jill
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 21, 2007
                                        --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Angela" <angela@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi all
                                        >
                                        > As the rain had finally stopped and my car had been repaired (it
                                        > wouldn't start the day before) I headed out to Dove Dale with my main
                                        > aim being to climb along the ridge to the summit of Bunster Hill.
                                        > Although I felt a couple of spots of rain I managed to stay dry all day
                                        > and even saw some genuine blue sky and sunshine. Photos at the usual
                                        > place:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.peakwalker.net

                                        Hi Angela,

                                        Just caught up with your last few walks. You have some lovely photos
                                        of an area I don't know at all but should as it is much nearer to me
                                        than the lakes. I hope your toes survived Bunster Hill and is much
                                        better for your trip north next week.

                                        Jill
                                      • Chris G
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 22, 2007
                                          Hi Angela, I really enjoyed your Dove Dale pictures, such a pretty
                                          place in the summer. I've only visited during late winter and early
                                          spring, but I know it must be lovely all year now. Chris G

                                          wrote:

                                          > Hi all
                                          >
                                          > As the rain had finally stopped and my car had been repaired (it
                                          > wouldn't start the day before) I headed out to Dove Dale with my
                                          main
                                          > aim being to climb along the ridge to the summit of Bunster Hill.
                                          > Although I felt a couple of spots of rain I managed to stay dry
                                          all day
                                          > and even saw some genuine blue sky and sunshine. Photos at the
                                          usual
                                          > place:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.peakwalker.net
                                          >
                                          > It would appear that even fractured little toes take longer than a
                                          > fortnight to heal as I certainly knew about it when I was going
                                          > downhill and caught an awkward stone/rock so I guess I'll be
                                          taping it
                                          > back up when I'm in the Lakes next week. Hopefully we will make it
                                          this
                                          > time, third-time-lucky etc!!
                                          >
                                          > Angela

                                        • Angela
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 3, 2009
                                            Hi all

                                            A very late posting of a walk I did in late April to Dove Dale.

                                            Photos are on the website at:

                                            http://www.peakwalker.net

                                            Sad news posted on the Striding Edge site.

                                            My thoughts are with Sean, Louise, Connie and James.

                                            Regards
                                            Angela

                                          • AEC Photography
                                            Message 21 of 26 , 7 Sep

                                              Hi all

                                              I currently feel like a kid in a sweet shop only my decisions involve which walk/area shall I visit next. Yesterday the weatherman promised that the weather would be best in the south of the Peak District so I decided to head for Milldale and a walk through and above Dove Dale. Sadly the weatherman lied but still the novelty of being able to walk more or less when I want to again hasn’t worn off yet so I enjoyed myself.

                                              The photos and details can now be found online: http://www.peakwalker.net/2017%20walks/2017-09-06.php

                                              All the best

                                              Angela

                                            • David Claxton

                                                Message 23 of 26 , 8 Sep
                                                  Hi David

                                                  Happy to bring back some memories, Dove dale is one of those places most
                                                  people seem to have visited at some time.

                                                  Angela

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , 9 Sep
                                                    Hi Angela,

                                                    These really are a beautiful set of photos, love the composition of so many of them. One of my many favourites from this selection was  ‘Following the narrow  track through Dovedale Wood’.

                                                    This is an area that was a firm favourite many years ago when living in Loughborough at the time. Thorpe Cloud was such a lovely climb for the two girls and myself at that time and the stepping stones a must on every visit. The latter were not built up in those days, so more of an adventure ! I also guess there were less people walking the Dale, which I think is one of the Peaks most scenic. No where to buy ice cream in those days either, I endorse your comments but at least the building is in pleasing stonework. It’s the signage that is always so intrusive isn’t it . . . the whole thing a sign of the times I guess.

                                                    So enjoyed these, a mellow feel about them, we are definitely on the cusp of autumn.

                                                    Ann

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , 9 Sep
                                                      Hi ANgela,

                                                      Your lovely pictures proof the rule that sometimes the "bad" weather makes for much better pictures than the "good" one - provided you get some sunny spells, which you luckily experienced.

                                                      Helmut
                                                    • AEC Photography
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , 10 Sep
                                                        Thanks Helmut the trouble with the bad weather is if it is too bad the camera stays in the rucksack so it doesn’t get damaged.