Skip to search.

Great Gable

  • hilldreamer
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 15, 2002
      Great Gable from Honister by way of Moses Trod is one of my
      favourite walks. It has been reported on by other people in the
      last couple of weeks so I hope you are not fed up with reading
      about it. Here is my version.
      Wednesday was another suncream and t-shirt day but the fells
      looked very hazy. We walked up to the Drum House and turned
      left. We made fast progress along the almost level path, the view
      always worth looking at. First we looked down on Dubs Bottom
      and the old quarry. Then we could see the top of Haystacks
      which brought back memories of being blown off my feet last
      October. Soon we were looking out over Buttermere and
      Crummock Water, the Buttermere fells and then Ennerdale
      Water which soon gave way to the forests of Ennerdale. Getting
      closer to Gable we dropped down a bit and all we could see
      were towering fells all around. Up to Beck Head where we had
      our first glimpse of Wasdale.
      Then the steep climb up Gable. Time seemed to pass quickly as
      we climbed, I think because we had to concentrate on every
      step.The bit I always look forward to is the bit near the top where
      you have to scramble a short distance using hands, knees and
      elbows. We soon arrived at the summit which was deserted. We
      sat near the Westmoreland Cairn and marvelled at the view into
      Wasdale with its jigsaw puzzle fields. We remembered many
      happy hours spent in the Wasdale Head Inn and searched the
      surrounding fells with binoculars for signs of life but there were
      very few people about.
      After lunch we contoured round the summit towards the way
      down to Windy Gap. As we ascended Green Gable I noticed
      some of the rocks have an iridescent blue sheen that shines in
      the sun. I don't know much about the subject but I am fascinated
      by the varied colours and patterns on rocks caused by minerals
      and lichens.
      We went over Green Gable and Brandreth looking down into
      Borrowdale. In the area between Brandreth and Grey Knotts,
      near the small tarns, we saw a patch of snow. It was several
      inches deep. I walked on it for a few steps before it gave way and
      I fell in and sat down in it. It was very wet!
      We made our way to the old tramway and back down to Honister.
      Message 32 of 32 , 11 Jun
        Hi Alan,

        Simply stunning photos from your Great Gable day. Love that walk, one we have done so many times but is becoming a blast from the past these days. Still, wonderful to see it all again through your eyes and what a superb weather you had too.

        That view encompassing all three lakes from the slopes of Brandreth is a firm favourite of ours, years ago Roger framed that exact same shot from there and it was a birthday present for me, long before we moved up here. Little did I know that the cottage we brought could be seen in the far distance. Well, too be honest only with exceptionally powerful telescope, but we can also see that reverse view from here ! Perhaps not today  though :-(    Summer has certainly taken a few days holiday, rest assured all the Lakes/becks/rivers have all filled up. The rain has stopped but it is very windy and very overcast.

        Thanks for looking at our Scottish photos, pleased you enjoyed them.

        Ann

        Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:30 PM
        Subject: Online Fellwalking Club - The O.F.C. Great Gable

        Hi everyone,

        Another report from my recent holiday in the Lake District. This one is from the 25th May when I did Great Gable from Honister.

        Cheers,Alan

        Sent from my iPad