Re: Loweswater Chronicle - Saturday 27th June - Kirk Fell

  • Richard Ratcliffe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2009
      Hi R&A,
      I've just enjoyed your acocunt of the Kirk Fell walk. I can only recall having climbed Kirk Fell once and I am guessing it was c.1989. It was definitely BC - before children, in this case. My parents dropped me at Gatesgarth but I can't remember where I ended up, maybe back in the same place, no mobiles those days, I just can't recall the meeting up arrangements. So I must get back there again soon and put a date on a Kirk Fell climb. Readers may remember this was the same day as Simon's party climbed Scafell Pike, we encountered the showers on our descent.
      Cheers,
      Richard.
    • Maggie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2009
        Hi Roger and Ann, I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your photos of the walk to Kirk Fell, including the old ones! Like Richard I've only been up that fell once and having recently found an old log of walks I can say that it was on the 31st July 1995! Looking at all the recent albums from the Western side of the Lake District makes me think I should get back round there before too much longer...

        Also enjoyed your previous album, Ann what a lovely way to spend some time relaxing looking at that view!

        Maggie

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Playing catch up with myself as I offer another walk report, this time from last Saturday.
        >
        > The prospect was for a very hot day and we needed a walk with lots of water for the dogs. Conditions turned out cooler than expected and we extended the route further than we first planned. A case of up fell, down dale till we made it back to the car some eight hours later.
        >
        > The time, somewhat slower than your's Dave, included a split lunchstop and a swim in Ennerdale before leaving the valley in a thundery downpour.
        >
        > Good to visit the top of Ennerdale Valley again. Keep an eye out for two photos from the old albums creeping in there again ...
        >
        > http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/090627_Kirk_Fell_with_Jo.htm
        >
        > Cheers
        > Roger and Ann

      • Jill Batchelor
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
          Dear Ann and Roger,

          What a fabulous day and I love the old pictures, what got me is you must have stood in almost the same places to take the picture back then too. I take it it wasn't Ann jumping off the bridge into the river ;o) Really enjoyed the pictures and hasn't Amber grown quickly too.

          As it happens we are going back down memory lane this afternoon I've got Nigel and me booked on a guided walk in a woods close to where my Grandparents lived and the place I used to spend a lot of time playing, climbing trees and doing all the things kids did back then. There must be pictures of me somewhere from about 40 years ago!! I'll have to ask me Mum. How much I will remember I don't know but its going to be really strange I can tell you.

          Jill (B)

          > Playing catch up with myself as I offer another walk report, this time from last Saturday.
          >
          > The prospect was for a very hot day and we needed a walk with lots of water for the dogs. Conditions turned out cooler than expected and we extended the route further than we first planned. A case of up fell, down dale till we made it back to the car some eight hours later.
          >
          > The time, somewhat slower than your's Dave, included a split lunchstop and a swim in Ennerdale before leaving the valley in a thundery downpour.
          >
          > Good to visit the top of Ennerdale Valley again. Keep an eye out for two photos from the old albums creeping in there again ...
          >
          > http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/090627_Kirk_Fell_with_Jo.htm
          >
          > Cheers
          > Roger and Ann

        • Lance Tucker
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
            --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "Roger and Ann Hiley" <hiley105@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Playing catch up with myself as I offer another walk report, this time from last Saturday.
            >
            > The prospect was for a very hot day and we needed a walk with lots of water for the dogs. Conditions turned out cooler than expected and we extended the route further than we first planned. A case of up fell, down dale till we made it back to the car some eight hours later.
            >
            > The time, somewhat slower than your's Dave, included a split lunchstop and a swim in Ennerdale before leaving the valley in a thundery downpour.
            >
            > Good to visit the top of Ennerdale Valley again. Keep an eye out for two photos from the old albums creeping in there again ...
            >
            > http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/090627_Kirk_Fell_with_Jo.htm
            >
            > Cheers
            > Roger and Ann
            Hi Roger
            Great to see your old swimming shot along side your new shots,must be nice to have memories from such a nice place with your kids.
            Regards Lance