Nidderdale Sat 2nd, Hello & August Lakes

  • Mike Higlett
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
      Hello Everyone,

      About time that I introduced myself but before I do details of my most
      recent walk in Nidderdale have been posted on line and can be found
      at...

      http://bit.ly/cYzzAE

      I've been a member of the list since November last year when coming
      across a link on Roger & Ann's website. A local friend had sent me a
      link to their coverage of the Cumbrian Flooding given that we (RAYNET)
      were on standby to provide back up radio communications in the area if
      needed. Been following the list ever since, just not posted until now.

      Me - I'm 42 and live in Harrogate with wife & 3 kids 12 and under.
      Grew up in Southampton and got into walking properly at approx 11
      which included a lot of New Forest walking plus trips to The Brecon
      Beacons and Exmoor being the nearest 2 National Parks at the time. I
      spent my university years (+ a few more) in Birmingham from where I
      got regular trips into the Peak District, Shropshire Hills, Mid &
      North Wales. Now living in West Harrogate I have The Yorkshire Dales
      on my doorstep with The Moors, Lakes & Pennines all within an easy
      strike - I consider myself lucky.

      Most of my walking these days is with Scouts (and sometimes cubs). My
      Son is in Scouts and my two daughters in Cubs. I'm the Group Scout
      Leader of the same group, one of the several active groups we're lucky
      to have in the area. I hold a Scouting Terrain 1 Hillwalking permit,
      which follows the same syllabus and assessment of the MLTB Walking
      Group Leader Award; this permits me to take groups of children on the
      hill up to 800m or up to 3hours away from help (defined as walking to
      road/farm/phone box...). I got into walking because enthusiastic
      adults around me when I was a child took time to show me what it was
      about, I can hopefully do the same for the next generation.

      Maybe of interest to some - for our summer holiday we spent a week in
      a static caravan in Bassenthwaite Village. Got three good walks in,
      details are...

      Coledale Round http://bit.ly/aucJj6

      Skiddaw Round http://bit.ly/cz8HdW

      Buttermere Lake Circuit http://bit.ly/c0SH5W

      Happy walking everyone and keep up the good work keeping this online
      community active

      Cheers, Mike
      -----
      Mike Higlett CEng G6WTM
      Controller Nidderdale RAYNET Group
      Group Scout Leader - 16th Harrogate
      Harrogate, North Yorkshire
      mailto:m.higlett@...
    • Richard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
        Hello Mike,
        Welcome to the OFC forum. I'm sure you will be a great asset to our club and I've enjoyed looking at the reports from your recent walks. If the message board seems a little quiet at the moment, fear not - one or two regular contributors are, I suspect, waiting for the chance to show us loads of photos from walking holidays etc.
        We sometimes have small get-togethers in Yorkshire - and the Lakes, you'd be welcome to come along. I think we'll be in Swaledale early June (2011), if you can wait!
        Cheers,
        Richard,
        Sunny Burnley
      • David
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
          Hi Mike

          Welcome from me and Josie just a few miles away at Silsden. I have enjoyed your first links to your photographs and look forward to more.

          I hope you enjoy the friendliness and banter of the OFC and look forward to meeting up sometime.

          All the best

          Dave D

          --- In fellwalkingclub@..., Mike Higlett <m.higlett@...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > About time that I introduced myself but before I do details of my most
        • Jill
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
            Dear Mike,

            Sorry I'm a bit slow at welcolming you to the message board here although you sound like you have been a lurker for a while :o) It sounds like you have a very busy time of it with being a Scout leader as well as your own children how lucky you have so many great places on your doorstep living where you do.

            Enjoyed following the links to your pictures seems like you had a good time with the family :o)

            Jill (B)