A walk up Ullister Hill, Lords Seat and Barf this morning.

  • John Paterson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2012
      Hi All,

      It was a cold but sunny start this morning and I took the dogs through Whinlatter forest and up Ullister Hill (an excellent viewpoint, well worth doing) plus Lords Seat and Barf.

      Because of heavy traffic and parking problems since the mountain bike centre at Whinlatter opened, the authorities have closed the small (free) layby at the top of Whinlatter where I used to start this favourite walk. Instead, I parked at the entrance to the first forest road BELOW the "Cottage in the Wood" on the Braithwaite side of the pass. I would happily pay Whinlatter parking charges if I was planning a day's mountain biking but I'm not going to pay charges just to walk my dogs if I can avoid it.

      Interestingly, when I parked free at the top of the pass, I often called into the visitor centre cafe for coffee and a scone at the end of my walk. Now I never pass the cafe because I park lower down the pass - so the end result of the car park charges is that the Forestry Commission now get LESS from me than they did before. Such is life!

      The pictures are the 11 latest pictures on my "Polly and Keera on some lower fells" album.

      https://picasaweb.google.com/105263356362936614149/PollyAndKeeraOnSomeLowerFells

      Cheers

      John
    • Roger and Ann
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2012
        Hi John,

        Just came off the phone from you and noticed the photos were up from the walk you told me you did this morning.

        A grand set of photos and a fine walk, it is perfect for the fells today, views as far as the eye can see.

        I totally agree with you about the parking and the knock-on effects. We haven't walked up there, popped into Siskins cafe or into the shop since it all got out of hand. I often used to pick up a few presents from the shop, but since the layby has gone, we just drive pass. I sometimes walk from further down, as you did, or from the free car parking area behind the two cottages on the way to Lorton.

        My hairdresser was talking about it this Thursday. She and her husband and dog, regularly walked there and often brought friends and family. They frequented the cafe and the shop too. They don't go there any more, as they highlighted the other problem you also mentioned, bikes hurtling across the walking tracks, or using the walking tracks as cycle tracks. Hopeless when you have a dog or two with you, or small children for that matter.

        I wonder how much money the cyclists actually contribute? They are still parking on the road, beyond the parts they have cleaned up and landscaped, and the destruction of the verges is continuing further up and down the Pass. Seems most of them have no intention of making any monetary contribution and walkers, the cafe and the shop are all losers in this bigger game.

        Ann x

        --- In fellwalkingclub@..., "John Paterson" <fornside@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > It was a cold but sunny start this morning and I took the dogs through Whinlatter forest and up Ullister Hill (an excellent viewpoint, well worth doing) plus Lords Seat and Barf.
        >
        > Because of heavy traffic and parking problems since the mountain bike centre at Whinlatter opened, the authorities have closed the small (free) layby at the top of Whinlatter where I used to start this favourite walk. Instead, I parked at the entrance to the first forest road BELOW the "Cottage in the Wood" on the Braithwaite side of the pass. I would happily pay Whinlatter parking charges if I was planning a day's mountain biking but I'm not going to pay charges just to walk my dogs if I can avoid it.
        >
        > Interestingly, when I parked free at the top of the pass, I often called into the visitor centre cafe for coffee and a scone at the end of my walk. Now I never pass the cafe because I park lower down the pass - so the end result of the car park charges is that the Forestry Commission now get LESS from me than they did before. Such is life!
        >
        > The pictures are the 11 latest pictures on my "Polly and Keera on some lower fells" album.
        >
        > https://picasaweb.google.com/105263356362936614149/PollyAndKeeraOnSomeLowerFells
        >
        > Cheers
        >

        > John

      • Maggie
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2012
          Hi Ann and John

          They were painting more double yellow lines on the Braithwaite side of the pass when I drove over on Thursday morning. How long before the lines extend all the way down both sides?!

          Agree with you both, the cafe and shop are the losers as far as I'm concerned.

          Agree with John, Ullister hill is a good viewpoint, as is nearby Seat How.

          Maggie