More spring walks

  • helmut_hudler2
    Message 1 of 7 , 21 Mar
      Hi all,

      Two more walk descriptions are on my homepage, to see at

      http://www.landschaftsfotos.at/Weingarten%202017_03_17/2017_03_17engl.htm

      This is the first of a large series of pictures planned as a service for a local vine farmer, who wants to create a brochure about his vine production, with all year - pictures from the vineyards and some more pictures from the cellar and the house ("Heuriger"). So, I started with pictures when no leaves are on the vines ... see these pictures and more at this link.

      The second page is

      http://www.landschaftsfotos.at/Saubersdorf%202017_03_21/2017_03_21engl.htm

      (today´s walk with Lucy).

      Helmut

      Message 2 of 7 , 21 Mar
        Hi Helmut,

        Interesting to see the vineyards. Roger has buds on his vine in our greenhouse, we had quite a few good bunches of grapes last year, small  fruit but very tasty.

        Lovely flowers again, my personal favourite being the glorious pasque flowers.

        A nice spring like day for your walk with Lucy and Schneeberg was looking fine in its snowy mantle.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 7 , 26 Mar
          Hi Ann, hi Roger,

          Growing vine is a science in itself, beginning early in the year with the cutting. You are lucky to get some tasty grapes. What I have learned during the last 10 or so years is that you must not leave too many branches on one plant and only a few buds on every stump after cutting, otherwise the grapes wouldn´t get ripse enough after the summer. I had years with many, many grapes, but rather sour. Vine farmers use to reduce the grapes to keep the quality up. The deal with the local farmer is that he gets his pictures for free, and keeps my vines during the same year in order to get rid of the mildew (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildew) that destroyed most o last year´s crop (after a rather wet summer).
          Maybe you get less problems in the greenhouse because the leaves don´t get wet (suppose you water only the soil and not the plants). There are also different cultivars of vine that are differently susceptible to the diverese diseases.

          Helmut
        • helmut_hudler2
          Message 4 of 7 , 10 Jun
            Hi all!

            Have to catch up with more reports on walks done recently.

            2 Weeks ago, we were out in Burgenland, Austria´s easternmost district, for a meeting of Papillon owners - the breed of our Lucy. I didn´t take part in the doggy walk (with about 15 small barkers), but visited a grass area up to the foothilsl of the nearby Leitha mountains, where I hopes to find some nice flowers. However, a pasture has been established there recently, to keept the bush growth down, which however resulted in every grass and every flower eaten up by the cattle.
            However, it was a great day with good visibility, especially down to Austria´s largest lake, which made me get over the lack of flowers.
            Pictures are shown at http://www.landschaftsfotos.at/Donnerskirchen%202017_05_28/2017_05_28engl.htm
            Two more local walks are shown at http://www.landschaftsfotos.at/Saubersdorf%202017_05_30/2017_05_30engl.htm and http://www.landschaftsfotos.at/Bad%20Fischau%202017_05_31/2017_05_31engl.htm
            Last Thursday, Hans Jürgen Pietsch, a friend, joined me for an eploratory walk to find a suitable place for taking photogrtaphs of a forthcoming event, the traditional Puchberg solstice fireworks. In the past, they took place in the Breite Ries, the big scree down Schneeberg, but it was prohibited this year due to near the whole Schneeberg being a water protection area. So, this year it will take place at the head of the valley, in Losenheim, more down the Northern slopes of Schneeberg. The place is different and a bit more hidden, but we found a perfect place, even suitable to put up a tripod for the night exposures. Looking forward to this evening, fingers crossed for good weather.

            The link for this is http://www.landschaftsfotos.at/Losenheim%20Willendorf%202017_06_08_09/2017_06_08_09engl.htm (with a few more local flower pictures at the end).

            Helmut

            Message 5 of 7 , 11 Jun
              Hi Helmut,

              Your blue skies and sunshine certainly brightened up my morning here. Although the rain has stopped  yesterday afternoon, allowing a nice late but exceptionally windy walk for Dylan and myself. Today is windy, overcast and feels more like autumn than spring or early summer.

              The poppies filled my heart with joy, but so sad to see those orchids destroyed in the mowing. Good that you and Hans Jurgen have located a good viewpoint for the fireworks to come in the valley below, look forward to seeing those photos in due course.

              Harry has been very poorly all week, firstly with an infection and high temperature, but this has spread to his arthritic front leg , so more medication and total rest and recuperation. Four vets visits in a week, including an x-ray, and another one next Tuesday. Bless him, he’s a real fighter but we did think at one time that we might lose him. All walks now are with Dylan at the present time, with both of us or just one or the other.

              So pleased that you enjoyed our Scottish photos, we like to go to coastal locations when holidaying away, as we live in a glorious fell environment here. The urge to climb mountains is somewhat less now that we, and especially Harry, are getting older. Loads of other walking opportunities to do, we still have plenty to do here in the lakes and love coastal walking when away.

              Thanks for looking at our Ennerdale photos too, we shall certainly pass on your good wishes to peter when we see him next.

              Cheers
              Ann

              Message 6 of 7 , 11 Jun
                Hi ANn, hi Roger,

                That´s bad news regarding Harry! Hopr he will be up and on the mend soon.

                He´s old already, but as he could tackle your recent walks, there is hope for him to recover. Our Sheila had an emergency operation due to pyometra when she was 11, she was already septic, but recovered - and lived with us for 5 more years!

                Helmut
                Message 7 of 7 , 11 Jun
                  Thanks Helmut, we just hope that he does get over his current lameness, which is on top of his arthritic problems. Otherwise he seems in good health and is eating much better, though hates taking his numerous medications.

                  Sheila was a lovely dog, I remember her with  great affection.

                  Ann