Lantern Pike from Hayfield

  • Clive Button
    Message 1 of 10 , 9 May
      Hi all
      On Sunday we headed West to enjoy some lovely weather on our walk from Hayfield taking in Lantern Pike and Middle Moor.
      Clive & Julie

      Message 2 of 10 , 10 May
        Lovely photos, including a couple of good photos of you both together. What a glorious day for walking, looks as dry there as it is here. Let’s hope the fire warning you photographed remains just that, a warnng. Gorse is such a problem , as well as bone dry trees and heather roots during such a prolonged dry spell of weather.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 10 , 11 May
          Hi Ann
          Thanks for looking at our latest photos.It was a glorious day to be on the moors but as you say it was tinder dry so the promised showers may be needed.
          Thanks for your photos of the Rannerdale Bluebells it's a sight we look forward to every year.
          Clive & Julie..

          Sent from my iPad

          Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 3:27 PM

          Hi all
          On Sunday we headed West to enjoy some lovely weather on our walk from Hayfield taking in Lantern Pike and Middle Moor.
          Clive & Julie

        • David Claxton
          Message 4 of 10 , 11 May
            Hi all - below are links to four walks around Cumbria. I've included the
            Kidsty Pike walk which was some time ago now because Alan I think choose
            his date well and had some splendid shots from the summit. As you will
            see we were much less fortunate but we'd arranged our walk date a few
            weeks earlier and unless the forecast is dire we usually just go ahead.
            But Alan's clear skies would have been very welcome.

            Along the Banks of the Eden, 26th April 2017 - 9.3 miles
            https://goo.gl/photos/paPsCJ1tVCGy5LaQ9

            High Pike, Knott, Great Sca Fell, Little Sca Fell and Brae Fell, 19th
            April - 8.6 miles
            https://goo.gl/photos/CzH5qRdGTcA6RnsY7

            Hadrian's Wall, 29th March 2017 - 8.1 miles
            https://goo.gl/photos/pGDDeBUnfJdZfZ4j6

            Kidsty Pike, Low and High Raise, 1st February 2017 - 7.5 miles
            https://goo.gl/photos/Duixw2H2dWXmkWK97

            Regards

            David
            Message 5 of 10 , 23 May
              Hi David,

              Trying to catch up after coming back home, but these links you posted are not live and despite copying/pasting I still seem to be unable to open them. Any chance of making them live on the board ?

              Thanks for looking at our Rannerdale bluebell photos, seems a while back now. They have virtually gone over now, we passed on the way to Buttermere yesterday. just a few on the fell side that were slower to bloom than the majority. Sadly the bracken is overpowering the area thick and fast now.

              Look forward to seeing these photos of yours.

              Ann

                  Message 8 of 10 , 25 May
                    Hi David,

                    The links  were live and worked this time, so enjoyed all 4 albums. Eden is sometimes overlooked for great walks, good as it keeps it quieter, but some wonderful scenery and walks missed by those heading further to the high fells. Beautiful doggy photos and what a gorgeous shiny black coat on your lovely lab.

                    The back of Skiddaw fells are very familiar to us, and are increasingly the sort of terrain we are seek for Harry, though the distances you walked wouldn’t be possible. He is still up for walks about three hours though, and seems to love being out with us. So long may that continue, giving up longer walks is no sacrifice considering all the joy he has brought us and continues to do so.

                    Hadrian's’ wall photos looked pleasantly familiar too, we were last there on a superb visit with Australian friends of ours last June. The black sheep you photographed could be Hebridean ones, looked very similar to those we encountered in the field opposite our accommodation in north west Scotland last week.

                    Very hot here today in Loweswater, the dogs are resting in the shade inside the cottage. A walk will have to be later when it cools down a bit. Roger is out on the annual Loweswater Farmer’s trip today.

                    Ann

                    Message 10 of 10 , 29 May
                      Hi David,

                      Harry is continuing as well as can be hoped for, though he is slower and we have to take in account time and terrain (soft underfoot as much as possible) when we go for walks. You can probably see from his face that he does still enjoy his walks and when he breaks into a short little trot I feel so happy for him but obviously I am acutely aware that his time on the fells are going to be progressively limited as the months progress.

                      Thanks also for looking at our two latest albums. Our walk with Alan and Jo was really lovely, a beautiful late afternoon for walking, it turned into such a glorious day. As you experienced yourself, the following two days were very, very hot so an early eveing walk, to include water and a swim for both dogs was the order of both Thursday and Friday. The storms that beset other parts of Cumbria, especially the south and east, seem to give us a fairly wide berth. We had just a few minutes of rain, a few claps of thunder accompanied by a small amount of lightning.

                      As regards the latest album which you commented on,  the intensive farming visit, Roger replied to Helmut about his misgivings (and mine).

                      Ann