First three Lake District walks

  • Alan Kilduff
    Message 1 of 9 , 3 Jun
      Hi everyone,

      The reports of the first three walks that I did during my recent holiday in the Lake District are ready to share.

      On 21st May, Walla Crag to High Tove....

      on 22nd May, Carrock Fell, Knott and High Pike....

      and finally, on 23rd May, Skiddaw....

      More to follow in due course.

      Cheers, Alan
      Message 2 of 9 , 4 Jun
        Hi Alan,

        Three superb walks and albums of some very familiar walking. Good days, especially the weather for you on your Skiddaw ascent.

        Looking forward to seeing photos from the walk we did we you and Jo. What a lovely afternoon that turned out to be and we really enjoyed catching up with you again.

        Ann

        Message 3 of 9 , 6 Jun
          Hi Alan

          What a good week to be in the Lakes, perfect walking weather.
          Lovely photos of your walks. A beautiful day to do Skiddaw.
          Sherran

          Message 4 of 9 , 28 Aug
            Hi all - July and August have been relatively quiet months for me for
            fell walks but below are links to two recent walks:

            1) Haweswater Reservoir Walk

            https://goo.gl/photos/3xhS1MRsvygzQWzY8

            This was a low level linear walk along Haweswater's western shore,
            starting at the hamlet of Burnbanks and ending at the car park at the
            valley's end. It was Bramble's first longer fell walk on rougher
            ground. I had to get home but my friends stopped off for tea and cakes
            at the Haweswater Hotel which they can thoroughly recommend. They also
            captured some wildlife shots while there.

            Mountain Rescue had turned out in impressive force at the Haweswater car
            park to assist a walker who we understand had slipped descending from
            Kidsty Pike. It can happen to any of us - see below !

            2) Rosthwaite Fell and Glaramara

            https://goo.gl/photos/yDkgXANfWM8tVY8p6

            This was a rather tougher walk from Seatoller, climbing via Stanger
            Gill, to take in a few tops, of which the highest was Glaramara. No
            Bramble on this one. The ground was pretty wet underfoot and I managed
            to fall on my backside three times but thankfully without any lasting
            damage. Yes, new boots are required !

            Stanger Gill is fairly steep and in wet conditions especially I would
            suggest is better tackled going up than down.

            It was a great walk in fantastic rocky mountain terrain but friend
            Richard and I managed a few minor mishaps along the way. We had to
            return to Great Wood car park at the start to fetch his maps left on his
            car roof, later a tricky descent\ascent was required to retrieve the
            maps which somehow fell down into the gill and to cap it all I got a
            puncture on my way home. I hope it's not just us !

            Cheers

            David
          • AEC Photography
            Message 5 of 9 , 31 Aug
              Hi David

              Finally found time to look at your two walks, both in areas I’ve yet to explore.

              The Haweswater walk was interesting as although I’ve done part of it I’ve yet to visit the head of the valley from the Haweswater side. That will be put right in December when we have 4 nights at the Haweswater Hotel.

              Rosthwaite Fell and Glaramara are another area I have yet to explore, although we have gone close to there. It certainly looks like the sort of area where it would be relatively easy to slip in wet conditions and the sort of area where in the kist it cpould be fun working out which top is which and exactly where the summit is.

              The delights of a flat tyre on the return home sound familiar although we had to empty the camping equipment out of the boot first when we last had one. Not an experience I hope to repeat.

              All the best

              Angela

              Message 6 of 9 , 1 Sep

                Thanks for looking Angela. My friends were very impressed with the Haweswater Hotel so I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay there. Plenty of great walks on the doorstep.

                Identification of the tops around Glaramara was tricky enough in good visibility so I wouldn't want to be caught up there in mist or low cloud.  Far too easy to end up in the wrong valley !

                I also got a puncture earlier this year returning from Haweswater. Probably my poor driving but the side verges have been worn away quite a bit down that road so take care with passing traffic !

                David

                Message 7 of 9 , 4 Sep
                  Sorry David, but the links are not live and I am having difficulty accessing them.

                  Ann

                    Message 9 of 9 , 5 Sep
                      Hi David,

                      Worked fine this time thanks.

                      Haweswater looked a familiar walk, though we haven’t been over that way for a while. Bramble looked to be settling in well into her lower fell walking, the two dogs look great together.

                      Interesting to see the Haweswater Hotel, never been impressed with it (from our own after-walk experiences) and also from reports of other’s staying there, but I believe it has changed hands so hopefully it is much improved. It  certainly looked to be smarter in your photos.

                      Glaramara is always a grand walk, nearby but not walked by us for years. Good memories from your photos.

                      Ann