Loweswatercam - Sat 17th June - Arnside Knott

    Message 1 of 7 , 23 Jun
      Hi All,

      Arnside is a village in South Cumbria. It faces the estuary of the River Kent on the north-eastern corner of Morecambe Bay, but outside the National Park.

      It is a great little limestone hill with great views all round and as we were in the area on Saturday we stopped off for a walk in the sunshine.

      The walk is dedicated to the memory of Dave Brown who used to visit and write on the club about the area.

      Cheers,

      Roger

      Email: hiley105@...
      Website: www.loweswatercam.co.uk

    • Clive Button
      Message 2 of 7 , 24 Jun
        Hi Roger
        Julie and I were on Arnside Knott on Monday,and really enjoyed the stunning views in the sunshine.
        It was through following Dave Browns website that it got on our to do list.
        I shall post our pictures later
        Clive...

        On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 at 00:32, 'Roger and Ann Hiley' hiley105@... [fellwalkingclub] <fellwalkingclub@...> wrote:

        Hi All,

        Arnside is a village in South Cumbria. It faces the estuary of the River Kent on the north-eastern corner of Morecambe Bay, but outside the National Park.

        It is a great little limestone hill with great views all round and as we were in the area on Saturday we stopped off for a walk in the sunshine.

        The walk is dedicated to the memory of Dave Brown who used to visit and write on the club about the area.

        Cheers,

        Roger

        Email: hiley105@...
        Website: www.loweswatercam.co.uk

      • helmut_hudler2
        Message 3 of 7 , 24 Jun
          Hi Róger, hi Ann

          Good memories to Dave Brown and his repeated reports on Arnside knotts, thanks for the pictures. For me, it is feeling a little bit familiar due to the limestone underground. Could be a good place for limestone-bound orchids, but too late now for most of them to flower.

          Helmut
        • David Claxton
          Message 4 of 7 , 25 Jun
            Hi all - below are pictures from two quite different walks.

            The first is a walk in the Mallerstang Valley which was notable for a
            lot of low flying activity. The aircraft didn't seem to have military
            markings so I'm not sure whether these were RAF training flights or
            commercial flights.

            https://goo.gl/photos/TWnGxrMtEzAbix227

            The second walk earlier this week was a traverse with Richard of Crinkle
            Crags and Bowfell. We thought the weather curse had struck again when we
            set off with cloud hanging low over the fell tops but magically the
            cloud lifted as we turned up towards the first Crinkle and from then on
            we enjoyed glorious views all the way round. The black and white
            pictures in the middle of the set are not for artistic effect. I dropped
            my camera at one point and I think the settings must have been changed
            which was a bit of a pain given the excellent views. But a great day out.

            https://goo.gl/photos/omVseYzhfsDeBxHb9

            Best wishes

            David
            Message 5 of 7 , 25 Jun
              Hi David,

              Two very different walks, new area for us on your first, though we have walked close by. Good to see new scenery.

              Loved you second album, that one familiar and much loved scenery, though a while since we trod that way. Good memories though so thanks for sharing.

              Ann

              Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2017 12:32 PM
              Subject: Online Fellwalking Club - The O.F.C. Online Fellwalking Club - Two Walks

[...]

              ------------------------------------

              ------------------------------------

              ** Tell us about your favourite fells or your plans for your next walk. **

              ** Messages can be emailed directly to you, collected and sent as a digest or simply viewed on the club message board.  Change your personal options yourself in the Members section. **

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  fellwalkingclub-digest@...
                  fellwalkingclub-fullfeatured@...

                  https://info.yahoo.com/legal/uk/yahoo/utos/en-gb/details.html
            • David Claxton

                Message 7 of 7 , 27 Jun
                  Hi David,

                  It really is a lovely area to walk. We had an appointment in Lancaster a few years ago and visited Scout Scar for a walk ( a lovely ridge walk with great views), then Silverdale and ended up at Arnside that time.

                  It is a long way to go for us too, so an appointment at ten in Lancaster on a sunny day was too good an opportunity to miss to walk in the area again. If you do go, aim for a week day and a sunny one too !

                  Glad you liked the photo of the walkers crossing the Bay, someone we met up there told us about it. It was a charity walk and they had friends walking it that day. Cedric Robinson, who is the Queen’s Guide who leads the walks, is now into his eighties I believe. He heads the walk with a buggy now, it can be seen at the head of the line of walkers following him.

                  Ann