Bamford Edge and Stanage Edge

  • Alan Kilduff
    Message 1 of 10 , 23 Aug
      Hi everyone,

      I've got a report to share of the walk I did along Bamford and Stanage Edges in the Peak District on the 13th August. Stunning displays of the heather in bloom.

      Cheers, Alan
    • Alan Kilduff
      Message 2 of 10 , 23 Aug
        Hi everyone,

        I've got a report to share of the walk I did along Bamford and Stanage Edges in the Peak District on the 13th August. Stunning displays of the heather in bloom.

        Cheers, Alan
      • AEC Photography
        Message 3 of 10 , 24 Aug
          Hi Alan

          An area and two edges I know rather well, the heather really does look good this year. Every time I go out in August when the heather is in flower I seem to catch a day when the flying ants decide to fill the air which has put me off walking in heather in August, hope you didn’t experience that.

          How easy is it to find the path next to Jarvis Clough? I’ve always walked straight across Bamford Moor to Stanage Edge and often wondered about exploring Jarvis Clough. Now stuck deciding between Derwent Edge and Bamford Edge for a walk next week with John.

          All the best

          Angela

          I've got a report to share of the walk I did along Bamford and Stanage Edges in the Peak District on the 13th August. Stunning displays of the heather in bloom.

          http://www.penninewalker.net/13th-august-2017---bamford-edge-and-stanage-edge.html

          Cheers, Alan

        • Clive Button

            Message 5 of 10 , 24 Aug
              Hi Angela,

              I was OK flying ant wise that Sunday but there were clouds of them when I was on Derwent Edge on the 20th. At times you had to remember to keep your mouth shut or you'd be getting a protein boost to your diet.

              I found the path easy enough to follow the way round that I did it, going north along Bamford Edge, then contouring across the hillside to cross Jarvis Clough to the track from Cutthroat Bridge. It should be easy enough follow it the other way, it's quite clear where it leaves the track and heads down to Jarvis Clough.

              Regards, Alan
            • AEC Photography
              Message 6 of 10 , 24 Aug
                Hi Clive

                Interesting what both you and Alan say about Derwent Edge as it was on there and Higger Tor where I had to walk with my mouth firmly closed. On Derwent Edge it was interesting finding an ant free lunch spot.

                Message 7 of 10 , 24 Aug
                  Hi Alan

                  As I commented to Clive interesting that it was on Derwent Edge where you had issues with them as that was where I was.

                  Thanks for the info on Jarvis Clough if we do it it will probably be on a similar route to yours only picking up or coming off the Moscar path depending on which way round we go.

                  Going to see how bad the flies are tomorrow on Eyam and Abney moors- a nice tester for the legs as there is no way of easily avoiding a steep ascent near the end of the walk.

                  Message 8 of 10 , 25 Aug
                    Hi Alan,

                    Spot on comment summing up your photos, ‘stunning’ is a word that spring to mind too. The heather was indeed stunning, as were the wonderful views in that perfect weather.

                    Let’s hope we can enjoy a bit more summery weather before the end of the season.
                    Ann x

                    Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:22 PM

                    Hi everyone,

                    I've got a report to share of the walk I did along Bamford and Stanage Edges in the Peak District on the 13th August. Stunning displays of the heather in bloom.

                    Cheers, Alan
                  • helmut_hudler2
                    Message 9 of 10 , 26 Aug
                      Hi Alan,

                      I cannot resist joining in other comments describing your pictures as "gorgeous". You caught the right season seeing the sea of flowers, and the right, sunny day.

                      Thanks for sharing!

                      Helmut
                    • David Claxton
                      Message 10 of 10 , 26 Aug

                        Fantastic photos Alan. The heather in bloom really does look great.

                        David