Burnt Hill

  • AEC Photography
    Message 1 of 10 , 26 Sep

      Hi all

      It is starting to feel like old times as I get out for the fourth walk of the week. This time John joined me for an exploration of the moors on the outskirts of the kinder plateau where we covered (for us) new ground and visited an old plane wreck.

      The photos and full report can be found online:

      http://www.peakwalker.net/2017%20walks/2017-09-23.php

      All the best

      Angela

    • David Claxton

        Message 3 of 10 , 27 Sep
          Hi David

          The photos in the two walks were taken with different cameras. The Baslow
          Edge walk images were taken with my better camera a Canon EOS 6D whilst the
          Burnt Hill photos others were taken with my normal walking camera a Canon
          EOS 60D. I normally have a circular polarizing lens on my 60D which you can
          rotate to make the sky a darker blue.

          In the case of these two walks the photos were taken with:

          First 5 on Baslow Edge: Canon 6D on a tripod with graduated filters used to
          help stop the sky being over-exposed.

          Remaining Baslow Edge images with my 6D but with a circular polarizing
          filter fitted.

          The Burnt Hill images were all taken with my 60D and for most of them the
          polarizing filter was removed.

          When I did my first photography course 4 years ago one of the first bits of
          advice I was given was to get a circular polarizing lens to help darken the
          sky and reduce glare the only problem being it increases the exposure time
          by a few stops hence why in the grey conditions of Saturday’s walk I took
          the filter off.

          Hope that’s not too technical.

          I should also say that these days I always shoot in RAW and process the
          images in Lightroom.

          Like you I started out as a point and click woman using my Panasonic Lumix
          set on landscape mode 90% of the time but I wanted to learn how to use my
          camera better and started a Level One City & Guild course in photography.
          Four years later I have just gained my HNC in Photography and I’m many
          £1000’s poorer having upgraded my camera twice along with the purchasing of
          several lenses, filters and other bits. Judging by the stories of my fellow
          HNC students I am not alone in following this path so be warned if you start
          wanting to get a bit better at your photography it can quickly become a very
          expensive journey.

          All the best

          Angela

          Message 4 of 10 , 27 Sep
            Hi Angela,

            Starting to feel like times gone by when you used to be out walking very frequently and putting your albums on your site just as regularly as you are doing now !

            Another lovely set, a good walk and pleased you managed to avoid all those boggy areas.

            Cheers
            Ann

            Message 5 of 10 , 27 Sep
              Hi Angela,

              That’s an interesting resume.

              Did you achieve all the exposures using filters out in the field
              or did it need a tweak on the computer once you were home?

              I occasionally give mine a boost as they seem to have too much whiteness
              and taking out the flat start of that histogram emphasises the normal colours of the rest.
              Doing much more starts to take an awful lot if time.

              Cheers,

              Roger

              Website: www.loweswatercam.co.uk
              Our 2018 Loweswatercam Calendar is now on sale.

              Message 6 of 10 , 27 Sep
                Hi Roger

                As much as possible I use the filters to get the saturation (in the sky) and exposure right but I also try to shoot underexposing the photos by one/two thirds of a stop so I don’t blow out the highlights. Blame HNC research on other photographers for that one.

                Lightroom is a great tool and enables me to shoot in RAW which retains more details in the original camera file than shooting in jpeg but it means I have to use Lightroom to get back the details. Lightroom however enables you to set up shortcuts which can speed up the adjustments and selection of images so I have found it does reduce the amount of time I spend selecting and editing images.

                I have Lightroom set up to do quite a few automatic adjustments when I import the images.

                It automatically applies keywords I select to the images and then takes the highlights right back and increases the details in the shadows it also applies a landscape setting to the images (sometimes this one makes things too saturated so I have to reduce the saturation).

                Once that is done it is usually a case of tweaking the exposure & contrast and taking the whites and blacks to the maximum they can go to using the histogram (which is what it sounds like you do). I might also adjust the clarity and vibrance but rarely touch the saturation, unless the landscape setting has made it too bright.

                I was really dubious about using it at first but during the HNC so many other students used it I gave it a go and have found it really good. I pay a monthly fee to Adobe of about £8.90 for the photographers version. It takes a bit of getting into but the fact so many photographers use it makes more than worthwhile investing the time and effort.

                If you fancy a demo in November I’ll see if John can download it onto his laptop and I’ll show you how it works – I’m quite cheap one drink in the Kirkstile should cover my fee.

                All the best

                Angela

                Message 7 of 10 , 27 Sep
                  Hi Ann

                  It is indeed starting to feel like old times, although after next week the walks might be curtailed for a bit if I have to become John’s driver.

                  Message 8 of 10 , 27 Sep

                    Thanks Angela for your comprehensive reply.

                    I use a Panasonic DMC-TZ40 set to landscape mode when I'm out walking. I do have a better quality camera - a Canon EOS400D - but I find it a bit cumbersome on the fells.

                    My main problem, however, is that I find all the technical camera stuff quite hard to master so I go for the easy point and click option and use very basic software to crop and adjust as necessary.

                    I'll either just have to accept my limitations or put in some hard graft to up my skills.

                    Your photos certainly show the benefits of getting to grips with filters, layers and the rest.

                    I walked round Derwentwater today. Very grey and cloudy across the fell tops so the photos are all pretty dull apart from the dogs swimming.

                    Thanks again. An adult education class might be the answer for me !

                    David

                    Message 9 of 10 , 28 Sep

                      Hi David

                      Be warned a simple photography class can end up with all sorts of qualifications years later.

                      On the other hand I found it very useful doing a course because it meant I eventually got my head around how ISO, Shutter speed and aperture work together to ensure the ‘correct’ exposure. Having said that more than a few world class landscape photographers set their camera on aperture priority so all they do is select the aperture they want and let the camera do the rest.

                      No right and wrongs  whichever way you do it.

                      All the best

                      Angela