Loweswatercam - Holme Wood Bothy - 14th Nov -

    Message 1 of 8 , 22 Nov

      Hi All,

      Unfortunately the weather has turned somewhat damp, so the walking has been less than perfect. Catherine and grandson Jack had climbed Mellbreak this particular morning, taking advantage of a break in the cloud, but it was quite wet underfoot. They were guided round by trusty mountain dog Dylan.

      After lunch they were up for another short Harry-type-walk this time, across to Loweswater Bothy. Full pictures and report @ http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/171114_Holme_Wood_J_and_C.htm

      The report includes a scan of an 1821 Loweswater map that Pete Burgess showed me.  He was up from Staveley for lunch recently.

      Cheers,

      Roger

      Website: www.loweswatercam.co.uk
      Our 2018 Loweswatercam Calendar is now on sale.

    • David Claxton
      Message 2 of 8 , 22 Nov
        Hi all - I've a couple of recent walks to share.

        The first is the Fairfield Horseshoe which started well but
        unfortunately by the time we reached the Fairfield summit cloud had come
        down and the views were, well, pretty poor. On our return leg, however,
        the cloud drifted in and out and we (or, more precisely, Richard) were
        able to get some good shots. I confess we somehow managed in the poor
        visibility to walk back from the summit towards Greatrigg Man but
        corrected ourselves and made off towards Hart Crag, getting down to
        Rydal just before darkness fell. Hence, the distance covered was rather
        longer than the usual 10.5 miles or so !

        https://photos.app.goo.gl/bHtnZS9m00zfpC9K2

        The second was a more leisurely linear walk from Howtown to Glenridding.
        We took the steamer to Howtown and walked the 7 to 8 miles back.  A
        lovely walk.

        https://photos.app.goo.gl/PEjKlkfBYF3eakII2

        Best wishes

        David
      • Clive Button
        Message 3 of 8 , 24 Nov
          Hi David
          These photos brought back some happy memories of these walks.
          We have walked the Ullswater shore path several times,it is one of our personal favourites.
          We found the Fairfield Horseshoe a tough outing but well worth the effort for those fantastic views.
          Clive & Julie..

          Sent from my iPad

          > On 23 Nov 2017, at 00:06, David Claxton claxton81@... [fellwalkingclub] <fellwalkingclub@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi all - I've a couple of recent walks to share.
          >
          > The first is the Fairfield Horseshoe which started well but
          > unfortunately by the time we reached the Fairfield summit cloud had come
          > down and the views were, well, pretty poor. On our return leg, however,
          > the cloud drifted in and out and we (or, more precisely, Richard) were
          > able to get some good shots. I confess we somehow managed in the poor
          > visibility to walk back from the summit towards Greatrigg Man but
          > corrected ourselves and made off towards Hart Crag, getting down to
          > Rydal just before darkness fell. Hence, the distance covered was rather
          > longer than the usual 10.5 miles or so !
          >
          > https://photos.app.goo.gl/bHtnZS9m00zfpC9K2
          >
          > The second was a more leisurely linear walk from Howtown to Glenridding.
          > We took the steamer to Howtown and walked the 7 to 8 miles back. A
          > lovely walk.
          >
          > https://photos.app.goo.gl/PEjKlkfBYF3eakII2
          >
          > Best wishes
          >
          > David
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > ** Tell us about your favourite fells or your plans for your next walk. **
          >
          > ** Messages can be emailed directly to you, collected and sent as a digest or simply viewed on the club message board. Change your personal options yourself in the Members section. **
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • helmut_hudler2
          Message 4 of 8 , 24 Nov
            Hi David,

            Wow - two really beautiful sets of pictures. I most like the misty scenes on your Fairfield walk, much better for the photographer than all day wtw sunshine. So you may accept some mist on the highest summit of the day.

            Helmut
          • helmut_hudler2
            Message 5 of 8 , 24 Nov
              Hi Roger, hi Ann,

              Misty and damp pictures - just like here, I did last gardening today, 4 hours in the mist, while Schneeberg summit got much sun and high temperatures.

              Should change to more cold weather to the weekend, maybe even some snow.

              Helmut
            • David Claxton
              Message 6 of 8 , 24 Nov

                Cheers. Yes, the Ullswater path is lovely.  Will have to do it again in the summer.

                David

                Message 7 of 8 , 25 Nov
                  Hi David,

                  Two enjoyable albums to view and no doubt, enjoyable walks for you too. Both familiar, though not visited for some time so great memories evoked from your photos. Loved the cloud inversions on the Horseshoe. Last time we did the Howtown walk we did it in the opposite direction and caught the steamer back . . .  on an exceedingly hot day as I remember.

                  Ann

                  Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:06 AM
                  Subject: Online Fellwalking Club - The O.F.C. Online Fellwalking Club - Two Recent Walks

[...]

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      fellwalkingclub-digest@...
                      fellwalkingclub-fullfeatured@...

                      https://info.yahoo.com/legal/uk/yahoo/utos/en-gb/details.html
                  Message 8 of 8 , 25 Nov
                    Hi Helmut,

                    Misty and damp days are all too common, though Wednesday of this week saw excessive rain hit the county again. We turned back from a shopping trip in the morning to Lorton as the lanes were looking dodgy, but the next day the water had subsided so we didn’t go hungry !

                    Colder here now with a little snow visible on the high fells.

                    We WILL get around to viewing all your recent holidays, but we have had a busy and enjoyable time with many visitors, family and friends in the past weeks.

                    Ann