Loweswatercam - 28th Nov - Askill Knott

    Message 1 of 8 , 30 Nov
      Hi All,

      We often get asked 'where Loweswater Lake is' when visitors stop outside our house. The confusion arises from the "National Parks Suggested Walks" leaflet which suggests they start at the phone box by the lake.
      The one they want is the grey box at the far end of the lake . . . ours is red and at this end.

      Tuesday we made a change and we also started our walk from the grey one . . . at the other end.

      Cheers,

      Roger

      Website: www.loweswatercam.co.uk
      Our 2018 Loweswatercam Calendar is now on sale.
    • David Claxton
      Message 2 of 8 , 30 Nov

        Hi both - some lovely colours in your photos. I particularly liked the one of the RAF plane over the fells. I never quite manage those shots !

        A small group of us had a lovely walk around Crummock Water this week starting from the Buttermere end. It's a fine walk with great views of the surrounding fells. A bit wet underfoot, as was to be expected, with a few sheep here and there to keep me and the dogs on our toes. I assume these sheep somehow escaped the local farmers gathering in ? It was for the most part a beautiful sunny day and l'll try to post some photos soon.

        If you're in Keswick on a Monday do pop into the LDNP information centre at the Moot Hall and l'll introduce myself. l'll recognise you but you probably won't recognise me !

        Regards

        David

        On 30/11/2017 19:54, 'Roger and Ann Hiley' hiley105@... [fellwalkingclub] wrote:

        Hi All,

        We often get asked 'where Loweswater Lake is' when visitors stop outside our house. The confusion arises from the "National Parks Suggested Walks" leaflet which suggests they start at the phone box by the lake.
        The one they want is the grey box at the far end of the lake . . . ours is red and at this end.

        Tuesday we made a change and we also started our walk from the grey one . . . at the other end.

        Cheers,

        Roger

        Website: www.loweswatercam.co.uk
        Our 2018 Loweswatercam Calendar is now on sale.

      • AEC Photography
        Message 3 of 8 , 1 Dec 03:18
          Hi Ann/Roger

          A nice day but cold day for a walk. Love the shot of the startled sheep. I
          hope that white stuff is keeping to the high fells as John and I are heading
          to the Haweswater Hotel next week for a short break and I don't fancy
          finding any ice/snow on the roads to the hotel.

          Just turned my calendar over to see the last image for this year and I have
          to wonder if Roger knew something about the predicted unusual cold weather
          we are currently having.

          Enjoyed the last report about the family visit especially as the route back
          from the walk was the one John and I followed when we walked Scale Hill.

          All the best

          Angela

          http://www.loweswatercam.co.uk/171128_Askill_Knott.htm

        • Hiley105@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 8 , 3 Dec 09:09
            Hi Angela,

            Thanks for looking, have to admit I am finding looking at the last page of our calendar for this year a cold one, especially after the deep warm sunset glow of Mr and Mr November !

            Do have a great break up here, hopefully the weather will be dry, crisp and sunny for you, with no snow/ice at ground level to impeded your driving to the hotel. Do let us know how you find the experience of the accommodation there.

            Cheers
            Ann

            Message 5 of 8 , 3 Dec 10:33
              Hi David,

              My apologies for not having reacted to your posting about walking around the lake.  We were out much of the day so presumably we would have missed you even if you diverted to the Kirkstile for lunch or a beer.  Looking forward to the photos as it was a nice day for a walk.

              The sheep are still out on the fell but have been gathered for tupping by many farmers. The sheep don’t tend to go too high in the cold weather so there would be more in the fields at this time of year rather than the open fell.  The grass is better too.

              The aircraft shot from Askill Knott was a bit easier than most as it was the prop aircraft which travels more slowly, can be heard arriving and so gives us older photographers time to react !  The rest was pure skill ... yeh  ;o)

              If we do make it into Keswick on a Monday I’ll try and make it up to the Moot Hall.   Presumably you’ll be the one with the blue coat and the woolly hat  ?

              Cheers,

              Roger

              Our 2018 Loweswatercam Calendar is now on sale.

              Message 6 of 8 , 4 Dec 07:18
                Hi Roger, hi Ann,

                Wonderful afternoon sun pictures and golden hour, after the rain (yes, I discovered the puddles on the road in your first picture :-) )

                Also nice to meet friends in a warm room with hot tea, after a winter walk,

                Helmut
              • Hiley105@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 8 , 4 Dec 07:55
                  Hi Helmut,

                  The varied light is always the beauty of the lakes, makes it a very special place. After the rain is often the best and helps to mitigate all the rain and puddles we have to put up with !

                  Ann