1912, Breaking the Silence (AfroCuba)

  • Luther Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , 16 Nov 12:11
      Mongo Santamaria - Afro Blue
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbE7jf_Hp5w&feature=fvwrel

      Afro-Cuban Jazz Documentary

      http://vimeo.com/7962556

      Piano,tumba y Bongo. Afro Cuban Jazz
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVG8DNCvhA

      In Our Voices Hosted by Nkenge Toure on WPFW
      Guest is Gloria Rolando (program starts 10min. into the recording)
      balconx.jpg (5971 bytes)
      Gloria Rolando
      http://archive.wpfwfm.org/m3u.php?mp3fil=19356

      1912, Voces para un Silencio
      1912, Breaking the Silence

      ... 1912, Breaking the Silence is the title for a project consisting of three chapters dedicated to the history of the Party of the Independents of Color (PIC). An approximation, a tentative sketch necessary for this little known part of Cuba's history. This is documentary material, intended to teach, whose principal resources are the voices of historians and Cuban cultural icons who in some way have taken up this theme as they express their ideas and conclusions. But this first chapter is an introduction to the theme which seeks to cover some antecedents in the history of Afrocubans' struggle for resistance, a necessary recapitulation which goes step by step down the path taken by the black movement in Cuba since colonial times, the struggle for independence and the situation of black cubans once the Island of Cuba achieved its independence in 1902. We make references to very important black leaders in Cuba from the nineteenth century, such as Juan Gualberto Gomez and Martin Morua Delgado. We talk about the importance of Antonio Maceo and Quintin Banderas. ...
      http://www.afrocubaweb.com/gloriarolando/breakingthesilence.htm

      AfroCubaWeb
      http://www.afrocubaweb.com/

      Gloria Rolando, 4-6-2010
      from Sonja Haynes Stone Center 2 years ago
      ... Afro-Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando brought her acclaimed documentary and feature work to UNC Chapel Hill as artist-in-residence from April 1-7. During her stay, she screened and spoke to an audience about her most recent films, Roots of My Heart and 1912: Breaking the Silence.

      Rolando is best known for films such as Oggun: An Eternal Presence, which explores how the Orisha Oggun, the god of war and peace, metals, and civilization, was experienced in the life of Cuban Yoruba singer Lazaro Ros; My Footsteps in Baragua, a recounting of the history of a West Indian community in Cuba; and Eyes of the Rainbow, a documentary on Assata Shakur, the Black Panther and Black Liberation Army leader who took refuge in Cuba after years of struggles in the United States.

      She is also a founding member of Images of the Caribbean, a film collective dedicated to developing projects that focus on Afro-descendant communities in Cuba.

      Rolando’s current project is a three-part documentary focusing on the 1912 massacre of the Party of the Independents of Color, a long neglected topic in accounts of Cuban history. She has been working to recover the history of this era through interviews with historians and communities throughout the country.

      This documentary project follows her feature film Roots of My Heart, which chronicles a young Afro-Cuban woman’s discovery of her ancestors’ participation in the events of 1912, including the death of her grandfather. ...

      http://vimeo.com/10783138

      Luther E. Brooks Jr.
      If you are not your own reality then who's illusion are you?