Re: Fubar and Activating Units.

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2010
      Keep the ideas coming Steve. I'm sure there's members of the group who will want to try them. This is what the Forge of War development group is all about!

      Cheers,
      Craig.

      --- In forgeofwar@..., "Steve" <cyborgtruckerusa@...> wrote:

      > Ted and myself have the incredible ability to roll ones out our
      > backsides. We can skew the odds like nobody's business. And the truly
      > evil dice gods will still screw us up if we switch to a game like Star
      > Fleet Battles where 1 are a good thing, making us roll 6's. So I'm
      > wondering if anyone else has had dice issue to the point of coming up
      > with home rules for unit activation? I really like the concept of unit
      > activation but it can be a really punch to the jimmies when you roll a 1
      > for 3 turns in a row.
      >
      > Our current homerule we're trying is...
      >
      > * Roll a 1. Unit goes On Guard per normal.
      > * Next turn. Unit is +1 to the die roll to activate. (They hunkered
      > down, took a breather and are feeling more confident. They have a plan!)
      >
      > * Turn after a second On Guard/Failure to Activate. The unit may
      > activate automatically on it's next attempt turn.
      > Another idea I had and may be unpopular as it takes a little extra
      > gear to do it. Each player has a cup(opaque) and plastic poker chips. In
      > a player's cup is a corresponding number of chips(white, cause they are
      > easy to write on with a sharpie) that have been assigned to units in
      > their force. Also for every 2 units (or part there of) put one off-color
      > poker chip(blue, cause it makes you sad when you give up your turn).
      > Roll-off to see who starts pulling chips out of their cup. Numbered
      > chips activate corresponding units as they are pulled out. The blank
      > off-color chip passes activation to your opponent.
      >
      > Some variations I just thought of.
      >
      > * You could also skip the off-color chip and simply have all the
      > forces chips in one bucket.
      > * Instead of having numbered chips when one of your chips (put your
      > initials on them) comes up you choose what unit is moved. It removes
      > some of the randomness that numbered chip would cause.

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
        --- In forgeofwar@..., "Steve" <cyborgtruckerusa@...> wrote:
        > * Instead of having numbered chips when one of your chips (put your
        > initials on them) comes up you choose what unit is moved. It removes
        > some of the randomness that numbered chip would cause.

        This is what I've done for years with games like Shock Force. I put one counter (different color per side) in a cup for each squad. Pull a counter, and color says who picks a squad to activate. Mark the squad with the counter, until all are drawn.

        I've played with the idea of mixing that up a bit--having a turn end marker (maybe have to draw it twice), or an extra marker for leaders. But I've used the basic idea a lot, and like it. But it works well with games where you are supposed to alternate, or use cards. I prefer drawing counters to cards, because shuffling is easier.

        andy
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
          Another way to do the cup activation method is to have different numbers of chits in there depending on the troop class e.g. Green have 1 chit, regular have 2 chits and elite have 3 chits

          or...

          Green and regular have 1 chit, elite have 2 chits and there are 2 end of turn markers. When the second end of turn marker is drawn the turn ends. Normal units that draw a chit can place it back in the cup IF the first turn marker hasn't been drawn.

          A side that doesn't activate a unit in a turn next turn gets to keep one of the end of turn markers for next turn and once that unit has been activated puts the end of turn marker back into the cup.