A little clarification

  • Craig Cartmell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2009
      Hmm...

      1. This is a developer group - thus all polite contributions are welcomed.
      2. The rules are completely playable as they are, without a points system. Dozens if not more playtests have shown this.
      3. The myth of 'balance' has dominated wargaming for far too long. It restricts your imagination and the fun you can get from unbalanced play.
      4. ForW refuses to promote a 'win at all costs mentality'. Wargaming can be about cooperative play as well as adversarial play. There are no losers in ForW if everyone has had a good time.
      4. The rules were developed as a generic, hard SF set that would allow people to use all and any of the figures they own.
      5. These rules do not deliver everything on a plate. The freedom they offer gives you the opportunity to experiment, to develop and share your own force lists and special rules.
      6. They are not tied to any particular brand and respect other people's copyright. Thus the published rules do not contain lists for other people's games and figure ranges. Though people may well share these in the developer group.
      7. As others have said we are looking at a points system, though for me it is not a huge priority. Before anyone asks for one they should try a few games.
      8. This is not a 'beta release'. It is a term we do not recognize. Any set of rules is a work in progress, as evidenced by those professional sets that are currently in their fifth, sixth or even seventh editions.

      The first edition was me throwing a lot of creativity against a wall and seeing if it stuck. Despite the many, many holes some imaginative people found it playable...just.

      The second edition is a cooperative effort to turn my mess into something playable by the wargaming public. It worked and I am very proud of all the work the guys put in.

      Despite this not one of us would say it is perfect, nor that it is finished. Even now people are coming forward with ideas and questions and we welcome their input. The Third Edition will probably arrive by Christmas :)

      I invite all the new members of this developer group to join in. As before anyone who playtests and turns in a report, or who contributes to the body or clarity of the rules will be credited.

      I have no problem with passion but the key to such cooperation is mutual respect and the lubrication for it is politeness.

      The game is afoot,
      Craig.