Re: FUBAR

  • Christopher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 17, 2010
      Craig,

      Looks fun and simple... it's like the infant child of Forge of War and Flying Lead by Ganesha Games. And since those are my two favorite rule systems at the moment, take it as a compliment. :) I might tweak just a few things and try it out this weekend!

      Jason is right - suppression can't be reduced with the current rules. But if this is a small enough game, that might not be a big deal.

      I have a suggestion - since the entire rulebook fits on one page, every scenario and expansion should fit on small cards. Maybe four or six mini-scenarios on a page that can be cut out?

      Chris

      --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Well I've finally written a set of rules even I can remember :)
      >
      > Have a look and let me know what you think.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Craig.

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
        Suppressions lasts for your next activation and then its gone. No book-keeping, no counters, just lie the figure down.

        Essentially you have been cowed by the weight of incoming fire and pinned down for a few seconds. Then you screw your courage up to the sticking point and get up again.

        --- In forgeofwar@..., Jason Mastros <cheshirekat72@...> wrote:

        > I guess my only mechanics question is how do you reduce suppression once it builds up?
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
          Good idea Chris.

          My original thought was to release a one page supplement with four 'game plans' on.

          The idea being that with rules this simple, and the small forces involved, we can begin focusing more on the narrative, the story again.

          The next supplement will be W40K, and then I'd like to do one on Northern Europe 1944-45.

          If anyone has any ideas they's like to develop for supplements (perhaps 'Nam?) they should feel free to just go ahead.

          THanks all for the feedback,
          Craig.

          --- In forgeofwar@..., "Christopher" <clkeagle@...> wrote:

          > Craig,
          >
          > Looks fun and simple... it's like the infant child of Forge of War and Flying Lead by Ganesha Games. And since those are my two favorite rule systems at the moment, take it as a compliment. :) I might tweak just a few things and try it out this weekend!
          >
          > Jason is right - suppression can't be reduced with the current rules. But if this is a small enough game, that might not be a big deal.
          >
          > I have a suggestion - since the entire rulebook fits on one page, every scenario and expansion should fit on small cards. Maybe four or six mini-scenarios on a page that can be cut out?
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Well I've finally written a set of rules even I can remember :)
          > >
          > > Have a look and let me know what you think.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Craig.

        • Christopher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
            Outstanding. I've been collecting quite a bit of 15mm sci-fi lately, so I might use whatever you release as a roadmap to create a "generic sci-fi" supplement. That could potentially cover a wide variety of troops (Rebel Minis, Khurasan, Ground Zero, Critical Mass, etc) without getting too bogged down in detail.

            One more thing I did notice was missing - vehicle transport rules. These wouldn't have to be too difficult. Maybe something like:

            Infantry - activation to Embark - Move up to 6" to board transport, but take no other actions.
            Vehicle - activation to disembark troops - can move up to half speed
            After disembarking, infantry may either Go To Ground or move up to 6", but may take no other actions.
            If a vehicle is destroyed while transporting troops, the embarked troops must roll their Expertise. If they pass, they are automatically disembarked where the vehicle was destroyed and take one suppression. If they fail, they are destroyed with their vehicle.

            Chris

            --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@...> wrote:

            > Good idea Chris.
            >
            > My original thought was to release a one page supplement with four 'game plans' on.
            >
            > The idea being that with rules this simple, and the small forces involved, we can begin focusing more on the narrative, the story again.
            >
            > The next supplement will be W40K, and then I'd like to do one on Northern Europe 1944-45.
            >
            > If anyone has any ideas they's like to develop for supplements (perhaps 'Nam?) they should feel free to just go ahead.
            >
            > THanks all for the feedback,
            > Craig.
            >
            > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Christopher" <clkeagle@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Craig,
            > >
            > > Looks fun and simple... it's like the infant child of Forge of War and Flying Lead by Ganesha Games. And since those are my two favorite rule systems at the moment, take it as a compliment. :) I might tweak just a few things and try it out this weekend!
            > >
            > > Jason is right - suppression can't be reduced with the current rules. But if this is a small enough game, that might not be a big deal.
            > >
            > > I have a suggestion - since the entire rulebook fits on one page, every scenario and expansion should fit on small cards. Maybe four or six mini-scenarios on a page that can be cut out?
            > >
            > > Chris
            > >
            > > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > Well I've finally written a set of rules even I can remember :)
            > > >
            > > > Have a look and let me know what you think.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > > Craig.

          • Christopher
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
              I actually had some downtime today, so I threw together some ideas for a "generic sci-fi" FUBAR expansion and added it to the folder. Let me know what you think, everyone, or what major sci-fi categories and concepts I missed.

              Chris

              > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Good idea Chris.
              > >
              > > My original thought was to release a one page supplement with four 'game plans' on.
              > >
              > > The idea being that with rules this simple, and the small forces involved, we can begin focusing more on the narrative, the story again.
              > >
              > > The next supplement will be W40K, and then I'd like to do one on Northern Europe 1944-45.
              > >
              > > If anyone has any ideas they's like to develop for supplements (perhaps 'Nam?) they should feel free to just go ahead.
              > >
              > > THanks all for the feedback,
              > > Craig.
              > >
              > > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Christopher" <clkeagle@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Craig,
              > > >
              > > > Looks fun and simple... it's like the infant child of Forge of War and Flying Lead by Ganesha Games. And since those are my two favorite rule systems at the moment, take it as a compliment. :) I might tweak just a few things and try it out this weekend!
              > > >
              > > > Jason is right - suppression can't be reduced with the current rules. But if this is a small enough game, that might not be a big deal.
              > > >
              > > > I have a suggestion - since the entire rulebook fits on one page, every scenario and expansion should fit on small cards. Maybe four or six mini-scenarios on a page that can be cut out?
              > > >
              > > > Chris

            • Craig
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
                Outstanding work Chris.

                I'll study these in detail over the weekend.

                One thing I would suggest is maybe reducing the FPs for small arms a bit and make the saves start with 6+.

                There again me and you might have very different imagined powers for lasers :)

                Cheers,
                Craig.

                --- In forgeofwar@..., "Christopher" <clkeagle@...> wrote:

                > I actually had some downtime today, so I threw together some ideas for a "generic sci-fi" FUBAR expansion and added it to the folder. Let me know what you think, everyone, or what major sci-fi categories and concepts I missed.
                >
                > Chris
                >
                > > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Good idea Chris.
                > > >
                > > > My original thought was to release a one page supplement with four 'game plans' on.
                > > >
                > > > The idea being that with rules this simple, and the small forces involved, we can begin focusing more on the narrative, the story again.
                > > >
                > > > The next supplement will be W40K, and then I'd like to do one on Northern Europe 1944-45.
                > > >
                > > > If anyone has any ideas they's like to develop for supplements (perhaps 'Nam?) they should feel free to just go ahead.
                > > >
                > > > THanks all for the feedback,
                > > > Craig.

              • Christopher
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
                  It seemed that for conventional forces, you were going with limited or no saves and starting with low FPs. I figured for the hard sci-fi stuff the easiest way to deal with it would be to boost the powers across the board... The energy rifles carried by Skynet Terminators in 2029 should be more powerful than an M-16; and likewise, their armor should be superior to the flak vests worn from vietnam to modern times (reflected in the SG-1 supplement).

                  The weapons and armor I added in the supplement aren't designed to be the only options available - just a few high-tech additions to the conventional arms and armor already listed in the main FUBAR document.

                  If I was making a sci-fantasy supplement (40k or Star Wars), I would downgrade everything to more conventional levels.

                  I'll try a few things this weekend and see how it works. :)

                  Chris

                  --- In forgeofwar@..., "Craig" <craigcartmell@...> wrote:

                  > Outstanding work Chris.
                  >
                  > I'll study these in detail over the weekend.
                  >
                  > One thing I would suggest is maybe reducing the FPs for small arms a bit and make the saves start with 6+.
                  >
                  > There again me and you might have very different imagined powers for lasers :)
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Craig.
                  >
                  > --- In forgeofwar@..., "Christopher" <clkeagle@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I actually had some downtime today, so I threw together some ideas for a "generic sci-fi" FUBAR expansion and added it to the folder. Let me know what you think, everyone, or what major sci-fi categories and concepts I missed.
                  > >
                  > > Chris

                • Craig
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2010
                    Hi Chris,

                    OK I'll go with that :)

                    I'll get the Clone Wars supplement sorted out this weekend, its all done in notes form just needs the final write up and formatting. Jedi & Sith are looking to be a blast to play.

                    The W40K supplement is half done already and I could publish most of this as well. Due to the number and complexity of the forces involved it will cover more than one page... ho hum.

                    The things I have had to keep in my mind are that this is a game for small squads of men and I am looking at the effects of weaponry rather than trying to develop more types.

                    For me this is the best part of games design, when the ideas flow and people get involved.

                    To All - usual credit rules apply. If you contribute in any useful way you'll be listed on the rules. In this case if you create a usable supplement then you'll get full credit as the author.

                    Cheers,
                    Craig.
                  • SIRIO DEL VALLE
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 16, 2010
                      what about fubar sports, something like blood bowl, or better, rugby?!!!!!

                    • Craig
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 16, 2010
                        Hi Sirio,

                        Well this is a development group so why not write some? You get full author's credit if you do.

                        ... or you could try Thwacket! ;)

                        Cheers,
                        Craig.