had a brief look at the rules

  • shelldrake_au
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
      I have only had a quick look over the rules are laid out nicely.

      I noticed you are using Action points for figures. I would be
      interested in knowing why you chose to do this. I only ask as it seems
      this is the trend in wargames these days.

      I will give the rules a try (hopefully) this weekend and provide a
      bit more feed back for you.

      cheers,
      Ian
    • john467460
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
        --- In frictionalheroes@..., "shelldrake_au"
        <ij_downunder@...> wrote:

        > I have only had a quick look over the rules are laid out nicely.
        >
        > I noticed you are using Action points for figures. I would be
        > interested in knowing why you chose to do this. I only ask as it
        seems
        > this is the trend in wargames these days.
        >
        > I will give the rules a try (hopefully) this weekend and provide a
        > bit more feed back for you.
        >
        > cheers,
        > Ian

        Hi Ian,
        I'll admit I never really thought about that before, it just seemed
        to be the right way to go about it. I suppose the best answer is
        that a lot of games follow the Games Workshop formula of forcing you
        to perform actions in a certain order, i.e. Move, Melee, Shoot,
        Morale. This to me never really works, after all why should my hero
        have to move before he can shoot, and thus probably have penalties
        imposed on his ability to shoot after moving? Using Action points
        allows me to decide what actions I want to perform, and when?
        Obviously some limits have to be imposed on this, and that is why a
        model only has a certain number of Action Points available. I have
        kept the number of Action Points low, as this will, hopefully, speed
        up play.
        I hope this gobbledigook answers your question.
        Cheers,
        John.
      • shelldrake_au
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
          G'day John,
          many thanks for the answer and the insight. My first
          reaction when looking over the rules was "not another action point
          game" but when i got to the stats section i did notice that the APs
          were very low.

          I like your reasoning behind APs (do any action in any order and
          keeping them low to speed up play).

          I am glad there arent too many APs as this means a bit of book
          keeping which slows down play.

          - Ian

          > Hi Ian,
          > I'll admit I never really thought about that before, it just
          seemed
          > to be the right way to go about it. I suppose the best answer is
          > that a lot of games follow the Games Workshop formula of forcing
          you
          > to perform actions in a certain order, i.e. Move, Melee, Shoot,
          > Morale. This to me never really works, after all why should my
          hero
          > have to move before he can shoot, and thus probably have penalties
          > imposed on his ability to shoot after moving? Using Action points
          > allows me to decide what actions I want to perform, and when?
          > Obviously some limits have to be imposed on this, and that is why
          > model only has a certain number of Action Points available. I have
          > kept the number of Action Points low, as this will, hopefully,
          speed
          > up play.
          > I hope this gobbledigook answers your question.
          > Cheers,
          > John.

        • Rodrick Campbell
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
            I had the same initial concern about action points. However, with the
            low number a figure can move and shoot. Exceptional characters can do
            a bit more.

            My question is can a figure do multiples of the same action; say move
            twice, shoot twice, etc.?

            The layout of your rules is superb. I spent 10 minutes just scanning
            through it and have a decent idea of how it plays, what rolls I need
            where, how to generate a gang and an understanding of the dies shift
            bonus and penalties (although these are not new to me). The order in
            which information is presented is intuitive and the overall layout
            looks good.

            I will definitely be trying these out in the near future. I'm gearing
            up for Cold Wars this week so I probably won't be able to provide any
            meaningful feedback until after I return.

            Nice work from what I can tell so far.

            Rod

            > G'day John,
            > many thanks for the answer and the insight. My first
            > reaction when looking over the rules was "not another action point
            > game" but when i got to the stats section i did notice that the APs
            > were very low.
          • john467460
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
              <ij_downunder@...> wrote:
              >Ian,
              I know what you mean, I've played games where the models have
              dozens of AP, and something as simple as reloading a weapon can cost
              3-4 AP. I hate bookkeeping too! That's why most models in Pulp
              Friction only have 2 AP, most actions cost 1 AP,and once a player
              has declared his models activation is completed any remaining AP are
              discarded. Keeps everything nice and simple.
              John.

              > G'day John,
              > many thanks for the answer and the insight. My first
              > reaction when looking over the rules was "not another action point
              > game" but when i got to the stats section i did notice that the
              APs
              > were very low.
              >
              > I like your reasoning behind APs (do any action in any order and
              > keeping them low to speed up play).
              >
              > I am glad there arent too many APs as this means a bit of book
              > keeping which slows down play.
              >
              > - Ian
              >

              > > Hi Ian,
              > > I'll admit I never really thought about that before, it just
              > seemed
              > > to be the right way to go about it. I suppose the best answer is
              > > that a lot of games follow the Games Workshop formula of forcing
              > you
              > > to perform actions in a certain order, i.e. Move, Melee, Shoot,
              > > Morale. This to me never really works, after all why should my
              > hero
              > > have to move before he can shoot, and thus probably have
              penalties
              > > imposed on his ability to shoot after moving? Using Action
              points
              > > allows me to decide what actions I want to perform, and when?
              > > Obviously some limits have to be imposed on this, and that is
              why
              > > model only has a certain number of Action Points available. I
              have
              > > kept the number of Action Points low, as this will, hopefully,
              > speed
              > > up play.
              > > I hope this gobbledigook answers your question.
              > > Cheers,
              > > John.

            • john467460
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2007
                --- In frictionalheroes@..., "Rodrick Campbell"
                <rodrickc@...> wrote:
                >Hi Rod,
                Yes a figure can perform multiples of the same action, though there
                are a couple of exceptions, for example the TACTIC a model is using
                determines how many times (if any) he can perform a Run action.
                I'm glad you like the layout, I did try to make the rules flow in a
                logical way, though I've just realised I didn't include a contents
                page.
                I'll admit I got the die shift idea from Stargrunt, though it's not
                identical, to me it's a better idea than adding loads of +1's to a
                roll.
                Cheers,
                John.