Re: To All: Have Your Say

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 5 , 1 Apr 19:57
      --- In frictionalheroes@..., "john467460"
      <formbyfan@...> wrote:

      > I'm wondering if there's anything you'd like to see included in the
      > rules? Got any ideas for new gangs or model types, new backgrounds,
      > creatures, weapons, skills, etc?
      > I'm currently working on the campaign rules, a game sheet, and an idea
      > that Mike gave me in regards to how Lackey Groups work.
      >
      > John.

      OK -- my personal bias against I move U move

      Try something like this. At games start, each player is either black
      or red -- or if you have more than two sides, each player is assigned
      a suit (which gets you to four sides -- probably won't have much more
      than that.

      Each player draws three cards from a standard playing card deck --
      sequentially. A player may accumulate or use cards drawn only if they
      are his assigned color or suit or a joker. Other cards must be discarded.

      A "2" through "10 card allows expenditure of an Action Point by any
      hero figure or lacky group. A face card allows a Hero only to expend
      an action point. An ace allows a hero to expend multiple action
      points. A joker is a wild card that allows a player to interrupt the
      play of another player -- to include making him "move back" or "not
      shoot" (but cannot undo a hit if it has already been rolled).

      For example. Let's say I'm red. I draw the ace of hearts, ace of
      spades and duce of diamonds. I must discard the ace of spades as soon
      as I examine my three cards. I now choose to move my lackey group
      with the ace of diamonds and retain the ace of hearts -- thus ending
      my turn.

      Now John (he's black) draws his three cards and draws the three of
      diamonds, three of hearts and queen of diamonds. He must discard all
      three cards and since he has no saved cards he does nothing during
      this sequence.

      Back to me (I'm red) now and I draw a Joker, a Jack of spades and a 7
      of diamonds. I discard the Jack of spades. Then I use the 7 of
      diamonds to allow my lackie group to fire and save the Joker.

      Back to John (he's black) who draws the Ace of clubs, Queen of spades
      and Queen of Clubs. He uses the ace of clubs (say he gets to perform
      3 actions on an ace) to move his hero into a great position and
      announces he is going to fire at my hero -- point blank from the rear.

      But before he can roll the dice, I play my Joker. This allows me to
      interrupt John's turn and makes it my turn. I still have that Queen
      of Diamonds and can use it to move my hero to safety.

      Well you get the idea. Using cards gives the game a level of
      unpredictability that allows things to happen that would never occur
      in a I move U move game. The red / black theme gives you a 50% chance
      of getting something you can use with each card and by drawing three
      cards at a time, you have a high probability of being able to do
      something most of the time.

      My proposal is merely a suggestion. There are a million variations on
      this theme. You should probably limit the number of cards a player
      can accumulate and/or play with multiple decks of cards.

      Playing cards are cheap and generally easy to acquire. You might want
      to develop fancier cards and print them on business cards or post
      cards by Avery (which are also generally available at office supply
      stores but not all that cheap).

      Give it a try.

      mjc
    • fantasy.ranger
      Message 2 of 5 , 2 Apr 12:40
        Yup you need chinese tongs , Japanese yakuza , russian cossaks , a
        shiek with arab beduins and a american military group like Nick Fury
        and his howling commandos or the Blackhawks. Add these with what you
        already have and i can play anywhere in the world with whatever
        scenerio i can think up.

        wrote:

        > I'm wondering if there's anything you'd like to see included in the
        > rules? Got any ideas for new gangs or model types, new backgrounds,
        > creatures, weapons, skills, etc?
        > I'm currently working on the campaign rules, a game sheet, and an
        idea
        > that Mike gave me in regards to how Lackey Groups work.
        >
        > John.

      • john467460
        Message 3 of 5 , 5 Apr 11:52
          Hi Mike,
          The very first version I wrote used a playing card activation
          system, with each hero or lackey group assigned a particular card.
          These were shuffled together, then each player took turns in drawing
          a card, and whichever models card was drawn was the one next
          activated. A joker was included, which allowed whoever drew it to
          activate a model twice in a game phase.
          In playtesting it generally worked ok, giving the game an
          unpredictable element, but every few games a player would get a run
          of cards allowing them to activate the bulk of their force, and
          basically decimate the opponent's force. This tended to leave a sour
          taste in the mouth, and so it was abandoned for the IGYG system. Of
          course there's no reason why people couldn't try the game using a
          card system (I'll probably include the card system as an alternate
          option to the 'official' one in the next version).
          John.

          --- In frictionalheroes@..., "Mike" <quidveritas@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > unpredictability that allows things to happen that would never
          occur
          > in a I move U move game. The red / black theme gives you a 50%
          chance
          > of getting something you can use with each card and by drawing
          three
          > cards at a time, you have a high probability of being able to do
          > something most of the time.
          >
          > My proposal is merely a suggestion. There are a million
          variations on
          > this theme. You should probably limit the number of cards a player
          > can accumulate and/or play with multiple decks of cards.
          >
          > Playing cards are cheap and generally easy to acquire. You might
          want
          > to develop fancier cards and print them on business cards or post
          > cards by Avery (which are also generally available at office supply

        • john467460
          Message 4 of 5 , 5 Apr 12:03
            Whoa, calm down tiger. Plenty to think about there. I have to admit
            I know next to nothing about the Tong, or the Yakuza, and I've never
            heard of Nick Fury. The Tong/Yakuza/Mafia etc. could all be covered
            by a generic criminal gang, with a list of options allowing the
            player to tailor the gang to create a specific criminal type?
            The Bedouin/Arab gang is something I'm going to do, as these would
            be expected in the game's current egyptian setting.
            Why don't you have a go at knocking up some ideas related to the
            gangs you'd like to see?
            John.

            --- In frictionalheroes@..., "fantasy.ranger"