Education Outreach

  • robert
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 3, 2010
      The satellite hardware and software is now taking shape and we have now almost completed the development of the ground receiver dongle.

      AMSAT-UK is therefore now looking to develop the educational outreach part of the project. This will include the design and contents of the "ground station" display (see the Graphical User Interface page), the best method of providing the information so that it relates to the current curricula, and all the supporting information that will be needed by the teachers.

      If you have current educational experience in this area and are willing to help, you would be able to provide the additional professional advice that we need to carry it forward. In the first instance please make a note of you interest by commenting on this forum..
    • GB
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 3, 2010
        I'm interested and willing to help, but I have neither the time, nor skill set, or desire to lead this.

        I think I explained at AMSAT-UK 2009, my primary interest is encouraging school children (actually anyone) to do hands-on engineering, and hence apply science and maths, by using technology. (This lot is gathered under the 'STEM' acronym in UK education)

        I believe FUNcube can act as a fulcrum to multiply interest and involvement in STEM within schools and colleges, and even for the interested enthusiast.

        I have some proposals on how to make this happen, and I'm willing to put in some of the leg work to make it happen.

        GB-)

        --- In funcube@..., "robert" <robpegs@...> wrote:

        > The satellite hardware and software is now taking shape and we have now almost completed the development of the ground receiver dongle.
        >
        > AMSAT-UK is therefore now looking to develop the educational outreach part of the project. This will include the design and contents of the "ground station" display (see the Graphical User Interface page), the best method of providing the information so that it relates to the current curricula, and all the supporting information that will be needed by the teachers.
        >
        > If you have current educational experience in this area and are willing to help, you would be able to provide the additional professional advice that we need to carry it forward. In the first instance please make a note of you interest by commenting on this forum..

      • g3rwl
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010

          robpegs wrote:

          > > AMSAT-UK is therefore now looking to develop the educational outreach part of the project. This will include the design and contents of the "ground station" display (see the Graphical User Interface page), the best method of providing the information so that it relates to the current curricula, and all the supporting information that will be needed by the teachers.
          > >
          > > If you have current educational experience in this area and are willing to help, you would be able to provide the additional professional advice that we need to carry it forward. In the first instance please make a note of you interest by commenting on this forum.

          Suggest you look back in 'messages' to 'plea for RadCom' on 11 November. this will appear in January RadCom

          73
          Richard G3RWL
        • GB
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010
            Just to be clearer about my skills

            I have been teaching professionally, on and off, since 1982, intially at undergraduate and post graduate level, but more recently at secondary school level.

            I am curently developing technology-based STEM projects for use in secondary schools. I am then going out and using my material to run workshops in schools. I help teenagers do hands-on projects, building robotics, mechatronics, and electronics and embedded control.

            I gave a presentation about my activities at AMSAT-UK 2009.

            I also lead workshops building these types of projects with adults. I've lead adult workshops at Howduino, British Science Festival, Amateur Radio Society, JISC DEV8D.

            I currently help run a student volunteer outreach program for Warwick University called "Technology Volunteers". I teach student volunteers the project material I use, then we go into a school, and the students work with the schools pulpils to build the projects.

            I also collaborate with the Imagineering Web charity, who run well over 100 after school technology clubs in schools. We have keen members with ties to people taking PGCE's.

            I also developed hardware to support teaching physical computing for a large UK Unversity.

            I am currently developing a high performance microcontroler, built around Open Source Hardware and software for robotics, mechatronics, and low-end digital signal processing.

            My lack of skill is with radio.

            GB

            --- In funcube@..., "g3rwl" <g3rwl@...> wrote:

            > GB wrote:
            >
            > > I'm interested and willing to help, but I have neither the time, nor skill set, or desire to lead this.
            >
            > > I have some proposals on how to make this happen, and I'm willing to put in some of the leg work to make it happen.
            >
            > robpegs wrote:
            >
            > > > AMSAT-UK is therefore now looking to develop the educational outreach part of the project. This will include the design and contents of the "ground station" display (see the Graphical User Interface page), the best method of providing the information so that it relates to the current curricula, and all the supporting information that will be needed by the teachers.
            > > >
            > > > If you have current educational experience in this area and are willing to help, you would be able to provide the additional professional advice that we need to carry it forward. In the first instance please make a note of you interest by commenting on this forum.
            >
            > Suggest you look back in 'messages' to 'plea for RadCom' on 11 November. this will appear in January RadCom
            >
            > 73
            > Richard G3RWL

          • GB
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010
              I forgot to add ...

              I have a degree in Computer Science, and consider myself a software engineer; specifically an Enterprise Architect. I still write code (mainly C++) every week, but I can turn my hand to most stuff.

              I taught at University from '82 to '90, where I started doing software engineering consulting for engineering and technology companies.

              I've held senior technical and leadership positions in high tech IT services and software products companies for the last 20 years. I still get excited about Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

              I have done significant work helping organisations develop and deploy IT which, often, underpins new products being offered to new markets in new ways.

              I think I can reasonably characterise the FUNcube school outreach program as exactly an example of that.

              I am not 'process obsessed' but I do believe an effective, appropriate, approach will help talented people deliver more effectively to their customers.

              GB

              --- In funcube@..., "g3rwl" <g3rwl@...> wrote:

              > GB wrote:
              >
              > > I'm interested and willing to help, but I have neither the time, nor skill set, or desire to lead this.
              >
              > > I have some proposals on how to make this happen, and I'm willing to put in some of the leg work to make it happen.
              >
              > robpegs wrote:
              >
              > > > AMSAT-UK is therefore now looking to develop the educational outreach part of the project. This will include the design and contents of the "ground station" display (see the Graphical User Interface page), the best method of providing the information so that it relates to the current curricula, and all the supporting information that will be needed by the teachers.
              > > >
              > > > If you have current educational experience in this area and are willing to help, you would be able to provide the additional professional advice that we need to carry it forward. In the first instance please make a note of you interest by commenting on this forum.
              >
              > Suggest you look back in 'messages' to 'plea for RadCom' on 11 November. this will appear in January RadCom
              >
              > 73
              > Richard G3RWL

            • Trevor .
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010
                For those who weren't at the AMSAT-UK 2009 Colloquium a video of Garry's presentation titled 'Engineers Wanted! Tempting teenagers to explore technology' can be seen by going to:

                http://www.batc.tv/

                Click on the "Film Archive" icon, top left

                Select "2009 AMSAT Engineers Wanted"

                or direct download at
                http://www.batc.tv/vod/engineers%20Wanted.flv

                73 Trevor M5AKA
              • GB
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010
                  Trevor

                  Thank you very much for that link. I hope it gets across the flavour of some of the things I am interested in.

                  For further information, my post about events and activities have pretty much all happened since that 2009 presentation. The time I put into those activities, which are growing, means I have less time to put into funcube outreach, and deliver the quality of results that it needs and deserves.

                  As every engineer would say "you can have Soon, Good and Cheap, pick two"; time is ticking away !-)

                  BUT, I am still happy, willing and able to try to help within the limited time I can make available.

                  May I ask, who is leading the school outreach effort, and what is the current schedule, or would someone point me at the schedule and plan documents?

                  Would someone also help me catch up by pointing at the education outreach deliverable that have been produced, especially anything since AMSAT-UK 2009?

                  I think it might be helpful for everyone interested to see those, not just for me, so I don't feel I am asking for special support :-)

                  GB

                  --- In funcube@..., "Trevor ." <m5aka@...> wrote:

                  > For those who weren't at the AMSAT-UK 2009 Colloquium a video of Garry's presentation titled 'Engineers Wanted! Tempting teenagers to explore technology' can be seen by going to:
                  >
                  > http://www.batc.tv/
                  >
                  > Click on the "Film Archive" icon, top left
                  >
                  > Select "2009 AMSAT Engineers Wanted"
                  >
                  > or direct download at
                  > http://www.batc.tv/vod/engineers%20Wanted.flv
                  >
                  > 73 Trevor M5AKA

                • Jim Heck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010

                    GB,

                    At present, sadly, no one has stepped forward as the leader of the ED Group, we desperately need one! Although quite a few people have expressed an interest in helping.

                    To a certain extent, we are falling between two stools (between this Yahoo group, and the FUNcube web site at www.funcube.org.uk), and you may want to check it out for some more info.

                    See in particular the pages entitled Education Outreach, Graphical User Interface (where there is a GUI spec), and also Working Documents (where we have and will be posting documents as and when they become reasonably stable).

                    You (and others) may wish to register on the web site to be made aware of any changes to it. Of course, please feel free to leave comments there.

                    The schedule and plan documents that we have are woefully out of date (mia culpa). You may recall that we had originally planned to have ready the flight hardware at the 2010 Colloquium. We didnt, its taking us longer than we anticipated for various good reasons. (Not least one of the three we have chosen from your list is Good, I guess the other is cheap!). To get an idea where we stand (viz a viz flight hardware), see http://funcube.org.uk/working-meetings/cubesat-mtg-1314-nov-2010/. Its encouraging, but we still have a way to go. We dont anticipate a launch much before 3/4Q 2010, almost certainly towards the end of this period, not the beginning!

                    The good news is that we have been asked by the UKSA to contribute a set of pcbs for UKube-1 (see http://www.ukspaceagency.bis.gov.uk/19128.aspx). Hopefully this will give a 2nd string to our bow. Interestingly, their time scales are about the same as ours, and there is a danger that we might end up on the same rocket!! The bonus is that we might just get two FUNcubes in orbit.

                    We have understood that it will be difficult to get educators' interest before we have a definite launch date (which itself is likely to slip as they do!). Hopefully it will be easy to get their interest AFTER launch, but we ought to try and be ready!

                    BTW your presentation in 2009 inspired me to make a CUBsat model, see http://vimeo.com/13458286 !!

                    rgds

                    Jim Heck G3WGM

                    Hon Sec AMSAT and FUNcube Project Manager (and website maintainer!)

                    Thank you very much for that link. I hope it gets across the flavour of some of the things I am interested in.

                    For further information, my post about events and activities have pretty much all happened since that 2009 presentation. The time I put into those activities, which are growing, means I have less time to put into funcube outreach, and deliver the quality of results that it needs and deserves.

                    As every engineer would say "you can have Soon, Good and Cheap, pick two"; time is ticking away !-)

                    BUT, I am still happy, willing and able to try to help within the limited time I can make available.

                    May I ask, who is leading the school outreach effort, and what is the current schedule, or would someone point me at the schedule and plan documents?

                    Would someone also help me catch up by pointing at the education outreach deliverable that have been produced, especially anything since AMSAT-UK 2009?

                    I think it might be helpful for everyone interested to see those, not just for me, so I don't feel I am asking for special support :-)

                    GB

                    --- In funcube@..., "Trevor ." <m5aka@...> wrote:

                    > For those who weren't at the AMSAT-UK 2009 Colloquium a video of Garry's presentation titled 'Engineers Wanted! Tempting teenagers to explore technology' can be seen by going to:
                    >
                    > http://www.batc.tv/
                    >
                    > Click on the "Film Archive" icon, top left
                    >
                    > Select "2009 AMSAT Engineers Wanted"
                    >
                    > or direct download at
                    > http://www.batc.tv/vod/engineers%20Wanted.flv
                    >
                    > 73 Trevor M5AKA

                  • G Bulmer UK
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 4, 2010
                      Jim

                      In place of my previous prolix, and sometimes argumentative post let me summaries:

                      1. If no one is stepping up to lead the ED Group, maybe we need to aim for something we can do. Maybe one of the obstacles is a fixed view of the final target. Instead lets make the aims more achievable or more valuable, in order to make some progress.
                      I'd suggest 'public outreach' may be a valuable target which should contribute to the schools outreach aims. Also we are all experts on the public :-)

                      2. IMHO part of the valuable results of FUNcube is the *ENGINEERING PROCESS* that develops it. The fact that it is so difficult to do that it may fail, is both more intriguing, and very optimistic. IMHO engaging the pubic and schools in how the FUNcube team engineer so close to the edge of feasibility is potentially more powerful and enduring for STEM education and pubic outreach than the experiment it carries.

                      3. Your FUNcube simulator video is great! It makes part of the project concrete, and understandable. I'd suggest using that to explain some of the engineering challenges facing the FUNcube development team. The videos should be a part of the outreach materials.

                      4. The FUNcube dongle is a world class piece of engineering. FUNcube is already close to something to 'outreach' about (sorry, I Americaned that noun:-) What are the plans for that?

                      5. Can we organise the outreach content that exists so that it is easy to find and access? I don't have a view where stuff should be, but spread across multiple sites, with few links, doesn't seem to help the outreach group communicate outwards.

                      7.  Plans, schedules, documents and deliverables need to be visible, available and updateable if folks are going to be involved and contribute. IMHO knowing that there are pieces missing, and that I could create one, may enable me to be helpful.

                      8. I think someone said that it is easier to create tall buildings when the crane is much taller (grasshopper:-). IMHO FUNcube is a phenomenally tall crane that we might use to raise other STEM projects. I feel that school outreach could start ahead of launch with less sophisticated, but valid, related projects. Can we use the FUNcube dongle for other experiments or activities? If we could, we might have a cadre of people, and a group of schools skilled and ready for FUNcube day.

                      9. Having other STEM related projects might allow us to spread some of the pressure for school outreach from FUNcube so that slippage or even defects will have a reduced impact on the overall goals.

                      10. IMHO, the time to get schools involved is much earlier than launch. The first orbit, the first message, the first experimental data are the golden, unique events. IMHO schools and the public should be included then.

                      I hope this is helpful
                      GB

> [...]

                      May I ask, who is leading the school outreach effort, and what is the current schedule, or would someone point me at the schedule and plan documents?

                      Would someone also help me catch up by pointing at the education outreach deliverable that have been produced, especially anything since AMSAT-UK 2009?

                      I think it might be helpful for everyone interested to see those, not just for me, so I don't feel I am asking for special support :-)

                      GB

                      --- In funcube@..., "Trevor ." <m5aka@...> wrote:

                      > For those who weren't at the AMSAT-UK 2009 Colloquium a video of Garry's presentation titled 'Engineers Wanted! Tempting teenagers to explore technology' can be seen by going to:
                      >
                      > http://www.batc.tv/
                      >
                      > Click on the "Film Archive" icon, top left

                    • Jim Heck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 5, 2010

                        Garry,

                          Thanks for the comments. I agree with most of them, but as always, its a matter of resources (people's time and energy! Re the public outreach, I hope thats what we have in the funcube web site (and, as you note some others like funcubedongle.com, yahoo group, etc). The fact they are spread is a shame, and hopefully one or other might start to dominate. As I think you said, some people might be more comfortable posting to a small group (yahoo group) rather than in public (funcube web site).

                          At present the priority for the small group of developers is getting our three amsat produced PCBs designed and ready for the production of flight models. We dont want to divert too much attention of theirs into outreach activities. However, I do take your point, getting schools etc FUNcube ready and participating in pre launch activity is important. Maybe this can be done once the pcb design is completed and we are doing things like vibration testing, etc. One of the reasons I put up the pics/videos of the 13/14 Nov mtg was to show people the sort of thing we are doing. Of course it would be a huge disappointment if our launch failed, having got everyone ready to receive the signals from orbit (Golden moments, as you rightly say!). (But then we have FUNcube-2 on the way courtesy of the UKSA, hopefully - detailed arrangements still being finalised!)

                          I am pretty certain that things will start to happen outreach wise as we approach launch. I have notice a very considerable increase in interest over the last few months. A launch booking will help enormously.

                          You asked about who will complain if we dont achieve any outreach. I dont think there will be too many complaints. We dont have a contract in the respect, but of course the RCF/RSGB want to make as much PR out of the project as poss.

                          FUNcube dongle. Of course it can be used for anything,. But its still early days. Howard is very concerned lest he is overwhelmed by requests for support for it, hence the gradual roll out. See http://www.funcubedongle.com/?p=201.

                          Cubesat sim. Sadly I havnt done much to this recently. Maybe I ought to create a website of its own (I know this is spreading the info about a bit, but its not really part of the FUNcube project, and although it has some features in common with FUNcube, it does have some others which definitely aren't!).

                          We plan to publish the documentation (as much as NDAs will allow, which only applies to a small fraction of it), but we dont want to publish documents that arent yet pretty stable. We are happy that the project is open source, but we dont want to do the development in public, as thats just too time consuming. I am guilty of not updating the overall project plan/timeline and will try and rectify this asap, but quite a lot of the planning is made up as we go along. (Old say "The maintenance of flexibility is a sound alternative to a well thought out plan"!)

                        One of the things that we havnt done yet, because we dont have the expertise, is to identify those parts of school curricula which FUNcube might be able to support. For example, many years ago, UO-11 was quoted in the Salters and Horners A level course, and we able to support several schools in this.

                        Hope this helps you understand where we are, and I hope you are able to contribute in some way.

                        rgds Jim

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 5, 2010
                          GB

                          Its because your original post said:
                          > I'm interested and willing to help, but I have neither the time, nor skill set, or desire to lead this.

                          > I had assumed my presentation at AMSAT-UK 2009 was known to you.

                          No, it isn't, will take a look.

                          There is something under the 'help needed now' label that, perhaps, you would like to supply:

                          We know we want 'something' but we don't actually know what it is because we're not educators. What would be really useful is a proper definition of 'what we want' so that it can be given to people who respond to the RadCom plea with full offers of help (I'm not expecting many). Over to you.

                          73
                          Richard G3RWL
                        • g3rwl
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 5, 2010
                            Garry

                            > > I had assumed my presentation at AMSAT-UK 2009 was known to you.
                            >
                            > No, it isn't, will take a look.

                            Just watched it. Impressed

                            Richard
                          • Alan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 8, 2010
                              I hold the licence for a School radio club MX0NDH (Notre Dame High,) The club it's self is largely organised by two licenced pupils, an M6 & a 2E0, but with support from myself & the head of Science.
                              Any support we can give just say.
                            • Chris
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 16, 2011
                                Well I have read this thread from start to finish with great interest as I think GB has summarised it very well IMHO.

                                I too am an AeroSpace Educator in southern UK delivering Space and Aviation related STEM workshops, and such potential projects like FUNCube "sound" just the ticket to assist in delivering STEM awareness days/projects in schools and youth groups but I have trawled the two sites mentioned and still have no real clue of where the "handle" is in promoting it within any school or what ordinary pupils (without a novice radio licence) could possibly interact in this project [as I understand it at present - due probably to no ED plan being found].

                                I too, like GB, have only a little knowledge about ham radio and am not qualified in that respect [and have no real wish to learn but appreciate ham radio educational values - e.g. GB4FUN].

                                I was discussing FUNCube recently with a colleague who is a Radio Ham and after reading the two websites he is enthused about it's potential but could not express to me what the educational potential was however!

                                So I have to ask - is this a Geek project that is looking for educational support to validate it's existance or is it a amateur cubesat project that is truly looking at what the educational outcomes SHOULD BE and then designing the FUNCube and it's outreach programme to meet those objectives.

                                I also wear another hat in being an programme advisor to a national youth organisation that does support and promote the excellent work of many radio amateurs...and I can also say that I am currently looking at another cubesat mission that will have some clearly defined and deliverable outreach programme segments - and not geeky at all - so am willing to suggest some ideas but don't feel qualified to take up the role of the ED Group you where asking for.

                                This 1st posting of mine is not a rant or criticism - but having seen over many years much educational outreach efforts wasted when the goals and methods have not been clearly defined wanted to contribute positively.

                                I can think of some educational work for FunCube but that is only around the concept of a cubesat - and as I still don't know what the FUNCube "dongle" is supposed/designed to do......it's hard to hang something on it!

                                --- In funcube@..., "GB" <gbulmeruk@...> wrote:

                                > Trevor
                                >
                                > Thank you very much for that link. I hope it gets across the flavour of some of the things I am interested in.
                                >
                                > For further information, my post about events and activities have pretty much all happened since that 2009 presentation. The time I put into those activities, which are growing, means I have less time to put into funcube outreach, and deliver the quality of results that it needs and deserves.
                                >
                                > As every engineer would say "you can have Soon, Good and Cheap, pick two"; time is ticking away !-)
                                >
                                > BUT, I am still happy, willing and able to try to help within the limited time I can make available.
                                >
                                > May I ask, who is leading the school outreach effort, and what is the current schedule, or would someone point me at the schedule and plan documents?
                                >
                                > Would someone also help me catch up by pointing at the education outreach deliverable that have been produced, especially anything since AMSAT-UK 2009?
                                >
                                > I think it might be helpful for everyone interested to see those, not just for me, so I don't feel I am asking for special support :-)
                                >
                                > GB
                                >
                                > --- In funcube@..., "Trevor ." <m5aka@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > For those who weren't at the AMSAT-UK 2009 Colloquium a video of Garry's presentation titled 'Engineers Wanted! Tempting teenagers to explore technology' can be seen by going to:
                                > >
                                > > http://www.batc.tv/
                                > >
                                > > Click on the "Film Archive" icon, top left
                                > >
                                > > Select "2009 AMSAT Engineers Wanted"
                                > >
                                > > or direct download at
                                > > http://www.batc.tv/vod/engineers%20Wanted.flv
                                > >
                                > > 73 Trevor M5AKA

                              • Graham Shirville
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 16, 2011
                                  Hi Chris,

                                  Many thanks for your insightful comments.

                                  I would hope that the main website www.funcube.org.uk  would give you a good overview of the project as a whole, plus, of course, a lot of the technical detail behind it. Maybe the information document here will help? http://funcube.org.uk/overview/information-document/

                                  FUNcube is intended to have a dual mission. Education Outreach is, however,  most certainly the Primary one.

                                  Of course the so called "space segment" i.e. the satellite itself, is not, by itself enough. This is why the FUNcube Dongle has been developed - to provide a "cheap" but effective receiver system that should be easy to operate and explain. This, working with the display software that has to be defined and developed, will provide teachers with the tools needed to enthuse the students.

                                  The key to this will be the way in which this is all packaged and delivered.

                                  The good news is that this project is well advanced and is not just a concept. We are currently in discussions with a number of potential launch agencies and brokers and expect to be ready for a launch anytime after the summer!

                                  Please let me know if I can tell you more.

                                  cheers
                                  Graham
                                  G3VZV
> [...]

                                  > May I ask, who is leading the school outreach effort, and what is the current schedule, or would someone point me at the schedule and plan documents?
                                  >
                                  > Would someone also help me catch up by pointing at the education outreach deliverable that have been produced, especially anything since AMSAT-UK 2009?
                                  >
                                  > I think it might be helpful for everyone interested to see those, not just for me, so I don't feel I am asking for special support :-)
                                  >
                                  > GB
                                  >
                                  > --- In funcube@..., "Trevor ." <m5aka@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > For those who weren't at the AMSAT-UK 2009 Colloquium a video of Garry's presentation titled 'Engineers Wanted! Tempting teenagers to explore technology' can be seen by going to:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.batc.tv/
                                  > >
                                  > > Click on the "Film Archive" icon, top left

                                • groups
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 17, 2011

                                    Maybe helpful to look at what Bloodhound is doing with regard to education and striking a spark in students (especially school age) from an extreme engineering standpoint. They have an active education programme info here:  http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/education.cfm I am not suggesting we copy them, but I am sure they would be happy to share ideas as the fundamental goal is the same: get young people really interested in science / engineering related subjects.

                                    I know a 1000 MPH land speed record is a little more extreme than FUNCUBE! But both have that “it’s different” and interesting ring to them.

                                    On a similar subject: why throw a perfectly good radio out of a spacecraft (ARISSAT-1)? Because it may help create future scientists, and we need them.

                                    Just my thoughts

                                    73 de Roger G7RUH

                                  • g3rwl
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 17, 2011
                                      Chris
                                      > So I have to ask - is this a Geek project that is looking for educational support to validate it's existance or is it an amateur cubesat project that is truly looking at what the educational outcomes
                                      SHOULD BE and then designing the FUNCube and it's outreach programme to meet those objectives.

                                      It feels a bit like the geek project but, as Graham said, the intention *is* for schools to make use of it. Education is a 'grey' area for Amsat-UK - and it shows.

                                      There have been discussions off-list about this. There *are* organisations ready to take it forward but the big problem is in getting someone who can actually write classroom material for it and provide other support so they have *something* to take forward. Its a manpower problem: lots of folks have good ideas on what to do with it but actually producing the *it* is the problem.

                                      > This 1st posting of mine is not a rant or criticism

                                      Feel free to rant, I've felt like it a few times. We need someone with the right skills (and who can speak in educators' language) who will actually do the work. I have but one teacher at the moment and, like most teachers, he's under a lot of pressure to actually teach (and tick all the other boxes the government want ticked); and theres not much time left after that.

                                      > I can think of some educational work for FunCube but that is only around the concept of a cubesat - and as I still don't know what the FUNCube "dongle" is supposed/designed to do......it's hard to hang
                                      something on it!

                                      As Graham said, the dongle is a facilitating tool for the schools. There was the odd person who thought it was a profit-making angle for Amsat-UK (NOT) but schools can use any receiving equipment they can lay their hands on; its just that the dongle (I hate that name) fills a gap that they might need. Certainly the dongle has aroused a lot of interest from non-school techies but, at the end of the day, its just a receiver.

                                      GB wrote:
                                      >> May I ask, who is leading the school outreach effort, and what is the current schedule, or would someone point me at the schedule and plan documents?

                                      There is no leader, we are running round like headless chickens because no-one who wants the job has come forward. What we really need for this project is a sort of 'evangelist' (today's UK government would call him/her a Tzar) who would pick it up, have ideas, and run with it; and be thoroughly keen to take it through.

                                      73
                                      Richard G3RWL
                                    • Graham Shirville
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 17, 2011