27967All leagues SPOILERS

  • rumblefish1972
    Apr 5, 2014
      SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

      MLB1: A pretty poor week for the Cards, losing five from six to two unmanaged teams before salvaging a morsel of respectability with a sweep of the A's. Our pitching has only improved a little since last year, and our batting isn't what it once was either. There are now probably 6-8 superior teams in MLB1, but such is the weakness of our division we still ought to make the playoffs. Off the field we re-signed Edmonds at a much reduced salary, albeit at the cost of an even better hitter in Ozzie Smith. I can now afford to REHAB Scott Seabol if I want to, but would getting him back a couple of weeks early make any significant difference to the likely course of our season? Probably not.

      MLB2: The young Rockies have found relative stability on the pitching front, and our fielding is now excellent, but our offense is finding it very tough, and we're still pretty easy meat for the better teams in MLB2. I'm still hopeful we'll end up .500 or not far from it, but we'll need to hit better than we have so far. It gets no easier next week with SD/CI/WN on the schedule and our best batter so far on the DL. But our 15-level MINORS started to pay off this week after underwhelming returns through week 4, with the six players on the draft/reserve squads acquiring 4/5/3/5/5/5 form.

      MLB3: The Twins shrugged off Doug Deeds' injury to post an unbeaten week and move to 16-2 on the season. Improbable as it once seemed, this has become one of my most reliably good teams. Twins legend Kyle Lohse looks set to retire this week, and unless someone is willing to pay 142 LPs, so will 12* batter Darren Marino.

      MLB4: A satisfactory 7-2 opening week for the Tigers as they begin their quest for the threepeat. Troy's A's started very well and could be the biggest threat in the AL this year, with the Yankees (still an excellent squad but nobody at the wheel since Paul B left) likely to fall away as the season goes on. The Mets already have 526 LPs with low wages and a poor team, so I wonder how much cash they will end up with this season?

      MLB5: The Reds stumbled through week 18 and ended up being overtaken in the seedings by the D'backs after suffering a sweep in Arizona. But I'm not sure we'd have been that much less the underdogs against Miami than we are against the Mets, as we're simply not that good just yet. Nonetheless it has been another progressive season - 68 to 79 to 97 to now 106 wins. And with an average of 25 total form and 12 potential EOS changes should go well. 19th pick from this particular draft list doesn't look too bad either.

      MLB6: The Marlins played well enough and went 7-2, which is about par for the course. In fact they have only had one losing regular season week (if I may say so a rather undeserving 4-5 in week 18 of season 20) in their last 85. Yet it has been a while since I've had so little confidence in this team actually ending up as World Champions, as we're almost certainly going to have to beat the Dodgers, then the Cards/Phillies, then the Angels/White Sox to do so, and I don't think we're really much better than any of them. Plus with Stanton joining Maybin on the long-term DL, injuries could yet be a decisive factor.

      MLB7: Twelve weeks, one coaching action, one big trade, one key position conversion, and a lot of FA swapping later, the Pirates now have more or less the team we were aiming for in pre-season. Whether it will actually be enough to mount a successful challenge in the playoffs remains to be seen, but it has at least kept me busy in a generally un-busy league. The Padres went a mere 8-1 this week, so the Braves winning streak of 28 is now the biggest in MLB7.

      MLB8: I'm very pleased with the Dodgers' start, not just the 7-2, but the way we performed. Lindblom and Orenduff sucked, but they will come around for sure and the rest of the pitching was fine. More importantly the batting looked lively after not quite performing as well as hoped over the past two seasons. Big test next week with the Cubs and Phillies, but we're looking forward to it. We could yet bring Moreta back with a minimum bid, but I might just stick with what I've got and let him retire or go elsewhere.

      MLB21: A so-so 7-2 from an easy schedule for the Angels, though 44-10 is still the best record for now in MLB21. Next week we play the Angels Old Boys Club, otherwise known as the Brewers. Other talking points include Chico's aforementioned no-hitter, Matsui's threatened retirement, and the tragi-comedy that is the Reds. After giving up a truly ludicrous amount of runs over the past two weeks (despite 6  x 10/11* pitchers) their offense took its turn to be amazingly bad, scoring just six runs in nine games. That's what a wage bill of 146 LPs buys you.

      Patrick
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic