29607All leagues SPOILERS

  • rumblefish1972
    Jul 26, 2016
      SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

      MLB1: Many congrats to Paul B and the repeating O's, and commiserations to Mike and the valiant Braves. EOS was okay-ish in St Louis (+10/-1 levels; +16/-2 skills), but although we'll no doubt coast into the playoffs as per usual I doubt we'll ever again be as good as we were at our peak a few seasons back. Hector Luna's level gain means my first two first-round picks in this league have - eventually - become 12* players, I think the first time I've had two in the same team.

      MLB2: First off well done to Jon and the Nats and bad luck to Dave and the Red Sox. The Rockies had so-so EOS improvements (+8/-0 levels; +21/-3 skills). Batting looks pretty good, pitching still a bit thin. I might try trading for a pitcher, although that's obviously a long shot. I would hope to make more than a token playoff appearance this year, but it really is just hope rather than expectation.

      MLB3: Cautious - possibly over-cautious - resting in the run-in due to our low Trainer level led to a wobbly end to the season for the Twins, but it does mean we will be at full strength for an ALDS against the fading Red Sox. Would expect to win (though nothing would surprise me anymore) but the Rangers/Royals series looks tough to call.

      MLB4: As expected the Tigers have pulled away to effectively secure top playoff seeding in the AL (and maybe yet the majors) with a week left, but our likely ALDS opponents are Oakland, who scuppered our fourpeat hopes last season, so I may well up wishing I'd simply lost more regular season games and been left with more LPs for next year.

      MLB5: 85-23 for the Reds, hitting comfortably more than 2 HR per game, with the best ERA and Fld% in baseball. In other words well on course for another gargantuan choke in the playoffs.

      MLB6: Similar story to MLB5 for the 61-11 Marlins, although I suppose the difference is that this team does have a history of turning up in the playoffs more often than not. As usual we have had to lose some key starters to stay afloat financially, and I feel Tankersley is - or ultimately will be - a very big miss.

      MLB7: The Pirates' pitching should be back to par with Miller and Wells back in the fold, though if this were a real league I think I could probably pick myself to pitch twice a week and we'd still make the playoffs, such is the gulf between the top four teams in the NL and the other eight.

      MLB8: Nothing to say that I haven't said many times before about the Dodgers. Although I do actually think we might break from our usual habit of crashing out of the playoffs in the NLCS by crashing out a week earlier.

      MLB21: Good to see so many new names join this league. I think the Mets' appointment takes the number of managers up to 16, level with MLB1, and behind only MLB8. The Angels had a crappy preseason, which I obviously hope was a week 0 blip rather than a prelude to a crappy regular season.

      Patrick