All leagues SPOILERS

  • rumblefish1972
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 5, 2014
      SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

      MLB1: A pretty poor week for the Cards, losing five from six to two unmanaged teams before salvaging a morsel of respectability with a sweep of the A's. Our pitching has only improved a little since last year, and our batting isn't what it once was either. There are now probably 6-8 superior teams in MLB1, but such is the weakness of our division we still ought to make the playoffs. Off the field we re-signed Edmonds at a much reduced salary, albeit at the cost of an even better hitter in Ozzie Smith. I can now afford to REHAB Scott Seabol if I want to, but would getting him back a couple of weeks early make any significant difference to the likely course of our season? Probably not.

      MLB2: The young Rockies have found relative stability on the pitching front, and our fielding is now excellent, but our offense is finding it very tough, and we're still pretty easy meat for the better teams in MLB2. I'm still hopeful we'll end up .500 or not far from it, but we'll need to hit better than we have so far. It gets no easier next week with SD/CI/WN on the schedule and our best batter so far on the DL. But our 15-level MINORS started to pay off this week after underwhelming returns through week 4, with the six players on the draft/reserve squads acquiring 4/5/3/5/5/5 form.

      MLB3: The Twins shrugged off Doug Deeds' injury to post an unbeaten week and move to 16-2 on the season. Improbable as it once seemed, this has become one of my most reliably good teams. Twins legend Kyle Lohse looks set to retire this week, and unless someone is willing to pay 142 LPs, so will 12* batter Darren Marino.

      MLB4: A satisfactory 7-2 opening week for the Tigers as they begin their quest for the threepeat. Troy's A's started very well and could be the biggest threat in the AL this year, with the Yankees (still an excellent squad but nobody at the wheel since Paul B left) likely to fall away as the season goes on. The Mets already have 526 LPs with low wages and a poor team, so I wonder how much cash they will end up with this season?

      MLB5: The Reds stumbled through week 18 and ended up being overtaken in the seedings by the D'backs after suffering a sweep in Arizona. But I'm not sure we'd have been that much less the underdogs against Miami than we are against the Mets, as we're simply not that good just yet. Nonetheless it has been another progressive season - 68 to 79 to 97 to now 106 wins. And with an average of 25 total form and 12 potential EOS changes should go well. 19th pick from this particular draft list doesn't look too bad either.

      MLB6: The Marlins played well enough and went 7-2, which is about par for the course. In fact they have only had one losing regular season week (if I may say so a rather undeserving 4-5 in week 18 of season 20) in their last 85. Yet it has been a while since I've had so little confidence in this team actually ending up as World Champions, as we're almost certainly going to have to beat the Dodgers, then the Cards/Phillies, then the Angels/White Sox to do so, and I don't think we're really much better than any of them. Plus with Stanton joining Maybin on the long-term DL, injuries could yet be a decisive factor.

      MLB7: Twelve weeks, one coaching action, one big trade, one key position conversion, and a lot of FA swapping later, the Pirates now have more or less the team we were aiming for in pre-season. Whether it will actually be enough to mount a successful challenge in the playoffs remains to be seen, but it has at least kept me busy in a generally un-busy league. The Padres went a mere 8-1 this week, so the Braves winning streak of 28 is now the biggest in MLB7.

      MLB8: I'm very pleased with the Dodgers' start, not just the 7-2, but the way we performed. Lindblom and Orenduff sucked, but they will come around for sure and the rest of the pitching was fine. More importantly the batting looked lively after not quite performing as well as hoped over the past two seasons. Big test next week with the Cubs and Phillies, but we're looking forward to it. We could yet bring Moreta back with a minimum bid, but I might just stick with what I've got and let him retire or go elsewhere.

      MLB21: A so-so 7-2 from an easy schedule for the Angels, though 44-10 is still the best record for now in MLB21. Next week we play the Angels Old Boys Club, otherwise known as the Brewers. Other talking points include Chico's aforementioned no-hitter, Matsui's threatened retirement, and the tragi-comedy that is the Reds. After giving up a truly ludicrous amount of runs over the past two weeks (despite 6  x 10/11* pitchers) their offense took its turn to be amazingly bad, scoring just six runs in nine games. That's what a wage bill of 146 LPs buys you.

      Patrick
    • rumblefish1972
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 21, 2014
        SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
        SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
        SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

        MLB1: The Cards have wrapped up #2 playoff seeding in the NL and an LDS date with the Nats or Phillies, but we have a weak division to thank for that. Although our pitching has improved on last year thanks to breakthrough seasons by Miller and Jenkins we've still had the problem of 30+% of our innings being pitched by players who simply aren't up to it. The batting is still good on its day, but it will be a surprise if we progress far in the playoffs (we've probably got a better chance than we had last year though). The main aim this year was stabilising our wages and finances, and we've achieved that. The Yankees still look WS favourites to me, though they will have to reverse the dominance of the NL in recent years.

        MLB2: At 76-77 the Rox are making a late charge for a .500 season, though we have a tough final week so it's unlikely. We're maybe dropping down the draft a few spots, but our system is already loaded with potential, so that's a small price to pay for the form that comes with good performances and winning weeks. I'm not expecting to be blown away by our EOS changes but we should have plenty enough to stay on track to be serious contenders soon, and maybe back in the playoffs next year. As for this year's playoffs still a few places up for grabs going into week 18, and four very interesting Divisional Series in the offing a week later.

        MLB3: Rubbish week for the Twins, playing very badly in all respects and lucky to escape with a 4-5. Last time we played Oakland and Texas back in week 6 we were similarly awful but then bounced back by going on a 52-11 tear. We've still got enough of a cushion over the rest of MLB3 that we can rest players as needed over the final few weeks so we may not respond so well this time, but if we can just start the playoffs without any injuries to key players a Twins repeat will be, at worst, a very realistic possibility. Lance Niekro would be a huge asset for any team but on those wages I fear he will retire either this season or early next before he gets any offers.

        MLB4: Solid 7-2 week for Detroit to move to a majors-best 93-24. Swapping a 10* batter for uber-prospect Joey Pankake a few weeks ago has brought wages down to a very manageable level without hopefully hurting our threepeat chances too much. The big news in MLB4 this week was the unmanaged Yankees releasing 12* megastar Derek Jeter, probably one of the top four or five players in all of Gp Baseball. Perpetual holdouts over the past two seasons have made him realistically unsignable for now at 178 LPs, but I suppose there's an outside chance someone could go for him by the week 17 deadline.

        MLB5: 9-0 for the Reds, a majors-best 56-16 on the season, and looking very good in every department without actually looking truly exceptional in any one. A tougher schedule next week - HA, NM, AB - will perhaps offer more clues as to whether we're the real deal, though it's annoying that Yonder Alonso got injured as he was in red-hot form. We bid for Rafael Furcal out of principal if nothing else, but suffice to say Miami offered rather more than we did.

        MLB6: Just like that the Marlins open up a seven-game lead in the NL East. Lack of depth will cost us on occasion this season - our one loss this week was a 13-4 hammering by St Louis in which our 7* SP gave up six runs and a 6* rookie reliever gave up the other seven - and the days of 130 wins or thereabouts every year are probably over for this team. But hopefully we're still good enough to be the team to beat in MLB6. We haven't got the best record at the moment though - that honour belongs to Gareth Jenkins' Mariners who are 30-6 after winning 18 straight.

        MLB7: A poor 4-5 week 2 in Pittsburgh though this is a team that generally takes a while to get going so 12-6 is okay at this early stage. EOS was slightly disappointing so I don't really expect much from this season, but such is MLB7 right now that even a complete write-off of a season would still expect to yield well over 100 wins and a playoff spot. The FA list has certainly perked up though, with a range of superstars and a few interesting prospects now available.

        MLB8: Typically erratic batting performances from the Dodgers with a scoring sequence of 6, 14, 3, 8, 2, 8, 11, 2, and 14 over the nine games. Our starting pitching allows us to largely get away with it in regular season (we had six CG wins this week), but against other good pitching teams in the playoffs I seriously doubt that degree of inconsistency will go unpunished. It's a bit ridiculous that we're only one win off the best record in the big leagues with such a disappointing team, though we've got little divisional competition at the moment, with the Giants' release of Tom Sanders strongly implying that they are now unmanaged.

        MLB21: Having already wrapped up a tenth consecutive AL West title the Angels' biggest concern in the last couple of weeks of regular season was ensuring that we didn't finish with a negative LP balance. We took the opportunity to rest batters liberally in week 18 but even with 2 x 5*, 1 x 6*, and a 7* catcher in the lineup we still went 7-2 (enough losses - just - to keep us in the black). As usual I've been guilty of under-estimating just how many wins is realistically attainable in this game at the moment, and with a few holdouts and lengthy injuries this season, plus the loss of Kendrick and some FA juggling to contend with, I would never have dreamt that we would win 133 games. 130+ win seasons have gone consistently wrong in the playoffs for other teams of mine, though it's fair to say that we have - on paper anyway - the easiest LDS opponent in Craig's Yankees. The three other divisional series' look quite evenly matched. Congrats to all the teams that made the post-season.

        Patrick

      • rumblefish1972
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 22, 2015
          SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
          SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

          MLB1: Very disappointed to lose the WS, the first time I've lost one in this league. Although we won our three games reasonably convincingly and scored six more runs than the O's over the whole series, we just didn't get the key outs and clutch hits we needed. The seventh inning of G7 was the killer blow when the O's scored six runs to take a 14-8 lead, and although we rallied to within striking distance we ran out of outs. Many congrats to Paul B and the very tenacious Orioles - always IMO a particularly noteworthy feat to win it all from the Wild Card (I suspect they might well also be the first team in Gp Baseball history to overcome being no-hit in the playoffs and go on to win the WS!). EOS changes were reasonable for a team with a lot of fillers (+9/-1 levels, +12/-3 skills), but at least one star will have to be sacrificed, and as always following a WS letdown it's hard to relish another season.

          MLB2: First off congrats to Mike and the Reds for their threepeat - a magnificent achievement. The Rockies had a slightly irritating EOS, with 10* pitchers Carrillo and Morales both losing a level, despite decent form and potential. Overall the numbers were okay (+13/-2 levels, +23/-3 skills), but with the bulk of improvements on hitters our pitching may well not be good enough. I might be able to tinker via coaching and free agency to sufficiently correct it, but although I had been targeting a playoff place this season I'm not so sure any more.

          MLB3: The Twins clung on to top seeding in the AL, and will have everyone healthy and rested (and paid!) for the playoffs. Nonetheless 114 wins is 8-10 fewer than our totals of the previous three seasons, and we have a very tough ALDS so even with a full strength team I'm vaguely hopeful but far from confident. The Reds' late surge means the three best records are in the NL, so whichever team emerges victorious from the NLCS will likely start the WS as favourite.

          MLB4: A solid penultimate week for the Tigers, with 130 wins or so in sight and not much resting left to do. 10* 1B Justin Maxwell will miss at least part of the ALDS with a sore shoulder but with a TRAINER level of only 7 I can't really complain.

          MLB5: I feel more justified in complaining about 10* pitcher Mike Leake getting a 90-game injury last week with a TRAINER level of 13, though I suppose I should be - sort of - thankful that he got it early enough to be REHAB-ed in time for the playoffs. A so-so 5-4 without him this week, but we're still on course for the best record in MLB5, and I imagine a relatively uneventful final third of the season beckons in Cincinnati. Big move by Seattle this week, signing Ensberg after his half-a-season stint in Miami. A great player to be sure, though I wonder if he'll be as thoroughly useless in the playoffs for the M's as he was for us.

          MLB6: After going a poor 3-3 against unmanaged opposition and about to host nearest rivals the Dodgers it looked like the Marlins were in danger of their first losing regular season week in four years. But a sweep secured a reasonably healthy week in the end, though from a financial point of view a few more losses than we're used to probably wouldn't be such a bad thing.

          MLB7: A decent 8-1 for the Pirates against three crappy teams, but more importantly we got fifth starter Stetson Allie back at a reduced wage. After re-signing Rivera last week (he had an OPS of almost 1.200 in his first week back) I think that's most of our FA business done and dusted for the season already. We've lost Capps and a couple of 9* hitters, but gained Drew, a pretty good pitching prospect/reliever, and got several key players back cheaper, so in light of our EOS improvements we should be in good shape for the rest of the season. Still some good FAs available; it will be interesting to see where they end up.

          MLB8: Far from convincing as usual by the Dodgers but a 6-3 with a few hitters rested isn't too bad I suppose. Still much to be decided going into the final week, including the identity of our NLDS opponents. A low-scoring but not uninteresting ASG. Encouraged to see Billingsley shut down the cream of the AL's hitting for five innings; not so encouraged, and not at all surprised, to see the two Dodgers hitters go 0-for-4 with three strikeouts between them.

          MLB21: A good, albeit obviously meaningless preseason week for the Angels. Would have liked the stupidly released Cam Bedrosian back, but there you go. Draftee promotions saw the end of an era in Anaheim in the sense that Reggie Willits was our first round pick soon after I joined the league, although our second round pick from the same draft, Kendry Morales, will stay for at least another season. As ever I've trade-listed a player more in hope than expectation (Napoli is WC-Go-Go-Ex for anyone interested - looking for anyone, batter or pitcher, on lowish wages in return!), but he has enough potential that I can NEWPOS him, or else simply waive him for the cash if no trade pans out.

          Patrick
        • paulbeaumont_1972
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 23, 2015
            Trying to reply to Patrick's post. Shows how often I've posted since the format changed! If I was going to make the time to post something then this was the reason.

            Commiserations to Patrick. I wasn't holding out much hope due to the difference in the quality of the batters on both teams. We have some strong (on paper) pitching so quality starts were required. However this is/has being discussed and having better bats seems to be key. The three closest games were all decided by two runs and the Orioles won all three of them. Not sure if you can draw any conclusions from that? I thought the bats needed another season for us to become real contenders. Not even sure which season we last won the World series? It must be a while!

            Lots of improvements and wage increases means we'll be releasing expensive pitching and hope the developing young arms can step up. The batting has moved up a level, at least on paper with Chalky White likely to be released at some point.

            Finding the time/remembering to enter turns on time is (unfortunately) a struggle. I try to catch up on posts when I get the chance, I should really get the daily email. I also just found out from Patrick that we were no hit in the ALDS!

            Paul
            MLB1-BA World Champions

          • rumblefish1972
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 26, 2016
              SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

              MLB1: Many congrats to Paul B and the repeating O's, and commiserations to Mike and the valiant Braves. EOS was okay-ish in St Louis (+10/-1 levels; +16/-2 skills), but although we'll no doubt coast into the playoffs as per usual I doubt we'll ever again be as good as we were at our peak a few seasons back. Hector Luna's level gain means my first two first-round picks in this league have - eventually - become 12* players, I think the first time I've had two in the same team.

              MLB2: First off well done to Jon and the Nats and bad luck to Dave and the Red Sox. The Rockies had so-so EOS improvements (+8/-0 levels; +21/-3 skills). Batting looks pretty good, pitching still a bit thin. I might try trading for a pitcher, although that's obviously a long shot. I would hope to make more than a token playoff appearance this year, but it really is just hope rather than expectation.

              MLB3: Cautious - possibly over-cautious - resting in the run-in due to our low Trainer level led to a wobbly end to the season for the Twins, but it does mean we will be at full strength for an ALDS against the fading Red Sox. Would expect to win (though nothing would surprise me anymore) but the Rangers/Royals series looks tough to call.

              MLB4: As expected the Tigers have pulled away to effectively secure top playoff seeding in the AL (and maybe yet the majors) with a week left, but our likely ALDS opponents are Oakland, who scuppered our fourpeat hopes last season, so I may well up wishing I'd simply lost more regular season games and been left with more LPs for next year.

              MLB5: 85-23 for the Reds, hitting comfortably more than 2 HR per game, with the best ERA and Fld% in baseball. In other words well on course for another gargantuan choke in the playoffs.

              MLB6: Similar story to MLB5 for the 61-11 Marlins, although I suppose the difference is that this team does have a history of turning up in the playoffs more often than not. As usual we have had to lose some key starters to stay afloat financially, and I feel Tankersley is - or ultimately will be - a very big miss.

              MLB7: The Pirates' pitching should be back to par with Miller and Wells back in the fold, though if this were a real league I think I could probably pick myself to pitch twice a week and we'd still make the playoffs, such is the gulf between the top four teams in the NL and the other eight.

              MLB8: Nothing to say that I haven't said many times before about the Dodgers. Although I do actually think we might break from our usual habit of crashing out of the playoffs in the NLCS by crashing out a week earlier.

              MLB21: Good to see so many new names join this league. I think the Mets' appointment takes the number of managers up to 16, level with MLB1, and behind only MLB8. The Angels had a crappy preseason, which I obviously hope was a week 0 blip rather than a prelude to a crappy regular season.

              Patrick

            • bfc_raven99
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 27, 2016
                SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                Firstly welcome to all the newbies that have joined, especially to those in MLB21. Really looking forward to seeing some new faces/opinions in the mix up. Good luck to you all in your respective leagues (except if you play my sides)

                MLB2: At least we can take some heart from the ChiSox winning the contenders World Series (or at least that's how I like to view it! :-) ). We would like to put up a more sustained challenge to Detroit this season but with (including recent draftees) 8 bats and 6 pitchers with 3 or less years experience I think we are maybe a year or so away from being a consistent outfit. At least we can settle ourselves with the fact we have arguably MLB2's best bat in Carlos Quentin. Top batting average in the last 2 seasons, averaging just over .360 over the last 7 years. More amazingly that I didn't realise is that he's only committed 2 errors over the past 5 seasons combined. OK he's an CF but I think that's still pretty decent. Wages are at 123 which is quite high since our finances are great for covering high wage bills.
                Lastly, EOS changes were respectable. Pitching had 6 levels up, 11 skills up, 3 down whilst batting was 5 levels up, 8 skills up, 2 down.

                MLB4: First season in charge of the Mets has gone ok. Realised early that the FA list in this league doesn't have as much quality as some, probably because of a lack of managers. So we've set about trying to protect our potential on pitching by solidifying it with a couple of vets. Batting has been harder to come by. That will probably have more ups and downs as we've mainly gone for youth with tons of experience. We've still managed a .500 record with 1 week left though. Problem is we still have a lot of funds that will be lost if I can't find something to invest in! Bit underwhelmed with the draft list too.

                MLB5: Much like MLB2 we've got a squad that has a lot of youth on it. We have a fair amount of potential though and whilst much like MLB2 we won't challenge the Reds this or next season, I'd hope to be more competitive come the season after next. Sad to hear that Dave may be giving up the Mets at the end of this season. I've enjoyed our battles over the years, Season 20's NL Championship Series being my highlight (although probably not Dave's). Shame the Astros haven't been competitive the last couple of years.

                MLB8: It's a good job MLB8 is chock full of managers otherwise I'd have jacked it in ages ago. This is the most frustrating league as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't seem to matter what I try, we as so inconsistent. We always seem to start seasons well but come about wk7 we fall apart and never recover. Where we stand at the moment is we have a couple of future stars in Harper, Dukes and possibly (hopefully) Renda and Franco. Our run differential is lower than it's been for a while but we still lack power and enough people getting on base and into scoring positions.

                MLB21: Good off season for the Dodgers. EOS changes weren't massive 5 levels up on pitching, 3 on batting and 12 skills up for pitching, only 4 on batting. Pitching which was our major strength last season just got stronger. However whilst the bullpen improved almost on mass, a couple like Jansen may now be able to move into the rotation. Despite having to work a bit at managing the wage bill, I'm pretty sure we can retain Soriano, Willetts and Gonzalez. With Seager, DeWitt and Puig now at or approaching that level I'll put it out there that we are confident of making the play-offs. Whether we have enough to hold off a strong D'Backs side is another question. Looking forward to this season!

                Cheers all,

                Mark C
                MLB2-CW
                MLB4-NM
                MLB5-HA
                MLB8-WN
                MLB21-LA

              • bfc_raven99
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 27, 2016
                  Forgot to say, belated congrats to Troy on the Nats WS win in MLB21. Tough luck on Patrick with the Angels losing what seemed like 4 very close games.

                  Mark C

                • danny_slavin_uk
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 30, 2016
                    bfc_raven99
                    27 Jul 22:42

                    Tough luck on Patrick with the Angels losing what seemed like 4 very close games.

                    Patrick deserves all he gets! #free kip ;-)

                  • k157tdf
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2016
                      Hi Mark,

                      Mainly in reference to your MLB8 team.
                      Nothing would please me more than to see a different name at the top of one of the divisions (even the NL Central if it comes to it).
                      From an outside perspective, and I hope this doesn't sound too glib, your MLB8 team simply isn't as good as, say, your MLB21 Dodgers. I'm impressed with your Dodgers this season. A squad of that quality in MLB8 would certainly be in the shake-up at the end of the season.

                      The Phillies, by utilising the boost they got from several early draft picks which were very well managed into a large core of star players, have established a level. Having got to that level it is easier to stay there. But look how threadbare they actually are. Despite that they recovered after a slow start and have won 102 games.
                      The Braves are the most successful franchise in MLB8 and Mike will no doubt put together another set of players to make a run at the WS.
                      Good luck and be ruthless. Any player in your team not helping you better those two is a waste of LPs.
                      Marc

                    • rumblefish1972
                      Message 10 of 19 , 9 Jan
                        SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                        MLB1: Although the Cards currently hold the best record in MLB1 I think quality on this team is spread too thinly for us to be much of a threat. Can't really see past the Orioles and Yankees as far as winning the WS goes.

                        MLB2: An increasingly disappointing season for the Rockies. I knew the pitching wasn't good enough and I'm no longer sure the batting is either. Tweaking via free agency hasn't really done much and as usual for me in MLB2 trying to get anywhere with trades is a dead end. We'll make the playoffs easily enough but with masses of potential the focus should probably switch to next season.

                        MLB3: Although we currently lie second to the Royals in the AL Central I'm not unhappy with the Twins' season so far. We lost Swarzak but signed Burnett, lost a starting OF but added an extra excellent OF prospect. We should be well in the hunt when the FA juggling is done with but having signed Ian Kinsler the Marlins look the strongest team overall this season.

                        MLB4: There was no way the Tigers could afford to keep both Curtis Granderson and Dusty Ryan, but now we've lost the latter we shouldn't need to ditch anyone else of importance. Indeed having seen Hughes go elsewhere too we are uncharacteristically flush with LPs. With us leading the majors and most of the best FAs now off the table I may actually invest that money sensibly.

                        MLB5: The MLB5 Reds are now my worst team by some distance. They'll make the playoffs easily because of the paucity of managed teams, but even with 23 unmanaged teams to play against they wouldn't be any less shit.

                        MLB6: 134-28 and leading the majors in every meaningful statistical category in regular season; 7-0 with a 1.29 ERA, .313 Bavg, and 1.000 Fld% so far in the playoffs. Absolutely nailed on we'll lose the WS.

                        MLB7: This ought to be a boring league as the gap between the good teams and the rest is beyond silly, but I have quite enjoyed swapping stars for prospects and back again. Overall I think we made 14 successful FA bids his season. Although 122 wins is in fact nowhere near the totals of the Braves and Padres, with 11 WC skills across the team we ought to be as good as anyone when actually at full strength, but we have so rarely been at full strength who knows. Good luck to all the other playoff teams.

                        MLB8: The D'backs are setting a ferocious pace in the NL West and as we could scarcely do any worse in the playoffs as a Wild Card than we usually do as division winners maybe it won't be a bad thing for the Dodgers if they stay in front.

                        MLB21: The Angels are doing rather better than expected, albeit thanks almost exclusively to our pitching. With beginners luck running out in Boston we will probably get HFA in the ALDS, but almost everything is still up for grabs in the NL.

                        Patrick
                      • Darren Halford
                        Message 11 of 19 , 9 Jan
                          MLB 1 Rangers
                          In Texas,the Rangers had a 4-5 week,and are now 7 games behind the Mariners in the division.
                          After 2-1 series wins over the Angels and Brewers,the Yankees came to town and swept the Rangers.
                          Off the field,the short stop position was significantly improved with the signing of Fernando Palmeiro.
                          MLB 21 Rays
                          In Tampa Bay,a poor week for the Rays saw them fall 12 games behind the Angels in the division race and their wild card lead cut to just 2 games as the Royals hit form.
                          A disappointing series defeat to the Rangers at home,1-2,was followed by a series sweep for the Brewers in Milwaukee,before a much needed series win at home to the Red Sox closed out the week at 3-6,64-44 on the season.

                          Sent from my iPad
                        • k157tdf
                          Message 12 of 19 , 11 Jan
                            SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                            MLB1: The Indians press their claim to be considered serious contenders having signed Pierzynski, although it is a while since anyone other than the Orioles, Yankees or Rangers made the WS.

                            MLB2: Yankees - My official plan for this team reads "nothing needs improving". While that may be an accurate short-term assessment it will never be entirely accurate while they under perform in the playoffs.

                            MLB3: Patrick wrote - "having signed Ian Kinsler the Marlins look the strongest team overall this season."
                            Agreed, but they did release Uggla and the advantage over the Diamondbacks remains tiny until they re-sign him.

                            MLB4: Still clinging onto the tails of the stronger teams around us, we're in a battle with the White Sox, or Indians to make the play-offs. Maybe we should try to defend the Continental title ?

                            MLB6: Patrick wrote - "134-28 and leading the majors in every meaningful statistical category in regular season; 7-0 with a 1.29 ERA, .313 Bavg, and 1.000 Fld% so far in the playoffs. Absolutely nailed on we'll lose the WS."
                            Looks like Patrick is looking forward to playing us in the WS ;) I note with interest the experiment to play Tony Davis in his starting rotation. The 7 match series with the White Sox was intense - five games decided by a single run, and the other two games saw a washout apiece. Commiserations Rob.

                            MLB7: Troy wrote - "So the Braves win 12 straight to steal" home field advantage from me on runs difference". We went 37-3 over the last 40 games. The good news for Troy is that the -3 represents a sweep by the Padres. Having lost the first two games this week the Padres scored over 100 runs in 7 games in their attempt to claw back the run differential.

                            MLB8: Patrick wrote - "The D'backs are setting a ferocious pace in the NL West". All Richard's teams are doing rather well, I believe. I think we need a roundup from him.

                            MLB21: We lost Donald Veal to the Diamondbacks which has surprised us. In the AL it is not apparent whether the Central or West will provide the wildcard from the 4 teams in that battle. In turn, the slump by the Red Sox means it is equally uncertain what a "good draw" might be. Not that we ever deliberately aim for second place.

                            Marc

                          • rumblefish1972
                            Message 13 of 19 , 30 May
                              SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                              MLB1: Many congrats to Mike and the Braves - winning a WS from a Wild Card spot is always a really great achievement IMO. EOS was okay in St Louis (Levels +10/-1; Skills +11/-0), but hard to tell if we will be any better than last year until we've got wages under control. Seabol was expensive even for a 12* player by today's standards, so he's definitely too expensive for an 11* player.

                              MLB2: Well done to Marc and the Yankees on a well-earned WS win, though commiserations to Richard and the Cardinals, who had been brilliant this season. EOS was underwhelming for the Rockies in terms of total numbers (Levels +6/-0; Skills +13/-3) though pretty much all the gains were concentrated on starters and key prospects. A wide spread of good rosters all around MLB2 going by the roundup but we should be in contention.

                              MLB3: The Twins finished a slightly messy season strongly to be the #1 playoff seed in the AL again. New territory in the playoffs as the Angels have almost always finished just behind both Texas and Seattle over the years so I'm pretty certain the Twins have never met them in the postseason. Will be tricky - Paul Bowen pulled off a big upset in the MLB1 ALDS a few weeks ago and the Angels have signed four or five players from the Twins over the past couple of seasons, including two 11*s in Swarzak and Morneau. TO v KC is also hard to call, but in the NL it will need a monumental upset for either the D'backs or Marlins to lose, with each having won 32 games more than their DLS opponents.

                              MLB4: Atrocious 2-7 penultimate week for the Tigers and we weren't even missing many hitters to resting or injury. Indicative of this being a much weaker Detroit team than in recent years, and deserved sweeps at the hands both Texas and Oakland don't bode well for the playoffs. Though (somewhat disconcertingly) if all the contending AL teams win the same number of games in week 18 as they did last week we'll drop from having the best record in all of MLB4 at the moment to not actually making the playoffs at all.

                              MLB5: Still nothing very interesting to report from Cincinnati. All the interest in the NL is really out East where, not for the first time, the Marlins and Mets are proving hard to separate.

                              MLB6: Not much for the MLB6 Marlins to do this year except ride out the financial storm and hope the Braves don't catch us up.

                              MLB7: The Pirates are fortunate compared to most in MLB7 in that we actually have a competitive division, and although everything appears quite rosy right now I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if the Cardinals reeled us in this year. The Cubs are also active (as their oddly named FA signing this week proves) though obviously not in contention, and perhaps this is a good moment to pay tribute, as I feel someone ought to do every so often, to the remarkable staying power of Cubs GM Andrew Gessey - 16+ seasons of being absolutely nowhere near the playoffs, only once even breaking .500, yet still he keeps playing. I hope I don't sound patronising in saying that I find his tenacity genuinely admirable.

                              MLB8: The Dodgers have clinched the West and #1 seed in the NL, yet I can't recall heading towards the MLB8 playoffs with less optimism; and that's really saying something. Looks odds-on that we'll play Miami in the NLDS, so that's new anyway.

                              MLB21: If the Angels play as badly in the first couple of weeks as they did in preseason I think I would be inclined to undertake a far more drastic overhaul of our wages, but Week 0 isn't always a very helpful pointer towards what will happen in Week 1. Good luck to all for the coming season.

                              Patrick
                            • Darren Halford
                              Message 14 of 19 , 31 May
                                MLB 1 Texas Rangers
                                Difficult decisions to make for the Rangers,my only team with World class talent comes at a price,wages are now 132 LPS .
                                I'm loath to release my superstars though,not been in this position so far in the game and am torn in which direction to go,think I will see how the Rangers start the season and review things after week six.

                                MLB 6 Boston Red Sox 44-28
                                Still comfortable atop the AL East,even extended the lead to 15 games,despite another poor week,4-5.
                                Possible free agent bid going in next week to shake things up a bit.

                                MLB 8 Milwaukee Brewers 79-74
                                Well as expected the Cubs wrapped up the division,wonder if this is the latest in the season that they have had to wait to do that!
                                Still harbour hopes of nicking second place in the division and finishing over .500,though a 2-1 series loss to the Padres didn't help matters,especially after routing the Dodgers 10-1 in the second game of our series.

                                MLB21 Tampa Bay Ray's
                                Like the Angels,the Rays are having a poor pre season,got a feeling my second season might be more challenging than last year,a 100 win season and a wild card berth is a lot to live up to.
                                Wages have been reduced to 115,after promoting all three rookies for experienced guys who were major contributors last season.
                                Due to loss of skills and 0 potential it was an easy decision compared to my situation with the Texas Rangers.

                                Sent from my iPad
                              • rumblefish1972
                                Message 15 of 19 , 4 Sep
                                  SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                                  MLB1: The Cards 17-game winning streak came to an abrupt end this week but 7-2 on the week and 43-11 on the year is okay with a depleted rotation and Luna and Seabol taking turns on the FA list.

                                  MLB2: A quite poor 4-5 week for Colorado, albeit with a host of key absentees. This team is improving but still not quite there yet. Waiving the inconsistent Hynick will at least enable us to see what we're like when Khalil Greene actually plays. We trade-listed left-handed slugger Correlle Prime (Go-Ex-Ex-Fa) this week - an 8*/9* RHP on lower wages is what I'm after if anyone is interested.

                                  MLB3: 8-1 pulls the Twins to within a game of the Royals who we play for the first time this season next week. We're hitting .315 but we might be a quality pitcher light.

                                  MLB4: A reasonable 12-6 start for Detroit, though a few others, most notably Washington, have started better. A couple of very tasty looking batting prospects have appeared on the FA list, and the Tigers will certainly be thinking of making a bid.

                                  MLB5: The usual abject NLDS exit for the Reds, though at least we took it to five games. Congrats to the Mets on a deserved victory, and good luck to all four remaining teams. No real sign that this sorry lot will ever be up to much. Wages likely to go up to around 140 LPs - if I had 29 PROMOTE actions I'd waive the whole team.

                                  MLB6: The Angels signing Rasmussen was about as surprising as... something not very surprising given the number of players they've poached from us over the years. But we did get the maximum LP compensation for him, as well as a young pitcher with amazing stats to show for the 18 innings he has pitched this year. On the diamond we posted a 5-4 but were swept at home by Atlanta (can't recall when we were last swept at home; might have been about 8 seasons ago!) and although we should still finish with 120-125 wins we look weaker than we have done in a long old while.

                                  MLB7: The Pirates didn't take long to spend the Brad Lincoln money - didn't seem like there was much point doing anything else but signing Brooks Conrad. When at full strength this might actually be the best batting lineup I've ever had in Gameplan Baseball - certainly in terms of skills (11 x WC, 16 x Ex), and handedness (6 x 11*/10* switch-hitters). But the key question might be whether or not we have left our starting pitching a bit short.

                                  MLB8: So far it's back to normality for the Dodgers this season, over-achieving on the mound (especially in view of Lindblom's departure) but under-achieving at the plate. Last season when it was the reverse may have been an anomaly. Of course the common denominator is still under-achievement.

                                  MLB21: Four straight shutouts to begin the week for the Angels, a rather pitiful sweep at the hands of the Tigers to end it. Hardy's return to Anaheim is likely to be a brief one as we continue to streamline our squad and hopefully restore some financial stability. I expect the Rays to have caught and overtaken us by the time we're done.

                                  Patrick
                                • k157tdf
                                  Message 16 of 19 , 12 Sep
                                    MLB1 - 35-19 week 6
                                    With Nick Swisher on the FA list and an injury to Danny Lee, young third baseman Miguel Andujar got to see some game time. All was going well until G9 when a couple of errors in the third inning contributed towards 7 unearned runs in a thrashing by the White Sox.
                                    The Orioles opened a small gap with an 8-1 week, and they in turn saw the Indians pass them with a fairly routine 9-0.

                                    MLB2 - 39-15 week 6
                                    Back to winning ways for the Yankees, and with the Rangers slipping up we find ourselves atop the AL.
                                    10 batters are slugging at over .500 - 12 if you count the pair on the FA list. So the chopping and changing doesn't seem to be harming the performances.

                                    MLB4 - 14-4 week 2
                                    I'm still looking to drop one (or two) of the teams in this week, and the naturally the Rangers have least personal attachment for me.
                                    They could be free in three turns if anyone wants to take over a team on the cusp of challenging for the title - you'll have to get through Troy and Patrick to do so.

                                    MLB7 - 80-37 week 13
                                    Patrick wrote:
                                    >The Pirates didn't take long to spend the Brad Lincoln money - But the key question might be whether or not we have left our starting pitching a bit short.
                                    That was kind of the intention when we signed Lincoln, whether you signed Conrad or not. However I don't think we'll catch you over the remaining weeks, something is not quite right with the team.
                                    We're going to improve our trainer to try to establish some continuity and cut out the big injuries.

                                    MLB21 - 44-19 week 7
                                    AL is getting a little interesting now, with the Rays and Royals slowly creeping up. Six wins a week should be enough for us, but we won't want to drop too far below that mark.
                                    With the strength of the NL Central collapsing the only concern for the Pirates is within the clubhouse. The signing of Miller from the Brewers has sparked considerable unrest that may continue for quite some time if not addressed.

                                    Marc

                                  • Darren Halford
                                    Message 17 of 19 , 13 Sep
                                      MLB 1 Rangers 32-22
                                      A poor week in Texas saw the Rangers struggle to a 3-6 record against some of the weaker teams in the league.
                                      With the Mariners going 8-1,the division race promises to be a topsy turvey one with the Rangers currently holding a two game lead.
                                      The only upside was the extra LP's generated which kept the balance in the black for another week at least.
                                      MLB 5 Indians
                                      The Indians shocked everyone in the draft by selecting number 66 Bradley Zimmer,the only centre fielder available.
                                      On the field,a 3-2 national series win over the Angels saw the Indians move onto play the White Sox for a place in the national series final.
                                      MLB 6 Red Sox 78-57
                                      The Red Sox could clinch the AL East next week to give me my first division title,a 22 game lead over the Blue Jays with just 27 to play after going 5-4 this week.
                                      The signing of Abraham Almonte improved the depth at left field going into the post season.
                                      Boston are hoping to make another signing next week.
                                      MLB 8 Brewers 4-14
                                      A worse start than last year(5-13) in Milwaukee,after winning the opening two games against Pittsburgh,the Brewers lost seven on the bounce to prop up the NL Central.
                                      Jose Samayoa was signed to replace Fernando Rincon to hopefully improve the bullpen.
                                      Milwaukee will be hoping to make another signing this week as well.
                                      MLB 21 Ray's 39-24
                                      Tampa Bay kept in touch with the Angels going 7-2 this week,three games behind in the division and three games ahead of the Royals for the wild card.
                                      Week eight will be a true test with series against the Angels and Red Sox,with the always tricky Twins in between.
                                      Darren

                                      Sent from my iPad

                                      > On 12 Sep 2017, at 13:51, k157tdf@... [gameplanbaseball] <gameplanbaseball@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > MLB1 - 35-19 week 6
                                      > With Nick Swisher on the FA list and an injury to Danny Lee, young third baseman Miguel Andujar got to see some game time. All was going well until G9 when a couple of errors in the third inning contributed towards 7 unearned runs in a thrashing by the White Sox.
                                      > The Orioles opened a small gap with an 8-1 week, and they in turn saw the Indians pass them with a fairly routine 9-0.
                                      >

                                      > MLB2 - 39-15 week 6
                                      > Back to winning ways for the Yankees, and with the Rangers slipping up we find ourselves atop the AL.
                                      > 10 batters are slugging at over .500 - 12 if you count the pair on the FA list. So the chopping and changing doesn't seem to be harming the performances.
                                      >

                                      > MLB4 - 14-4 week 2
                                      > I'm still looking to drop one (or two) of the teams in this week, and the naturally the Rangers have least personal attachment for me.
                                      > They could be free in three turns if anyone wants to take over a team on the cusp of challenging for the title - you'll have to get through Troy and Patrick to do so.
                                      >

                                      > MLB7 - 80-37 week 13
                                      > Patrick wrote:
                                      > >The Pirates didn't take long to spend the Brad Lincoln money - But the key question might be whether or not we have left our starting pitching a bit short.
                                      > That was kind of the intention when we signed Lincoln, whether you signed Conrad or not. However I don't think we'll catch you over the remaining weeks, something is not quite right with the team.
                                      > We're going to improve our trainer to try to establish some continuity and cut out the big injuries.
                                      >

                                      > MLB21 - 44-19 week 7
                                      > AL is getting a little interesting now, with the Rays and Royals slowly creeping up. Six wins a week should be enough for us, but we won't want to drop too far below that mark.
                                      > With the strength of the NL Central collapsing the only concern for the Pirates is within the clubhouse. The signing of Miller from the Brewers has sparked considerable unrest that may continue for quite some time if not addressed.
                                      >

                                      > Marc

                                    • k157tdf
                                      Message 18 of 19 , 29 Sep
                                        A pretty undistinguished week results wise (4-5, 4-5, 5-4, 8-1, 5-4)

                                        MLB1 - 39-24 week 7
                                        A bad week. After a sweep by the Orioles we recovered a little to record two series wins.
                                        Would have liked to have swept the Brewers at home, but 3 errors in a 5-run 5th was too much this particular time around.
                                        The Red Sox closed to within one game after an 8-1 week, including a notable series win in Cleveland.

                                        MLB2 - 43-20 week 7
                                        Another tough week. Outplayed by the Red Sox and then the Rangers, we didn't do much better with Cleveland as the visitors until a 4 run 1st inning in G9 was comfortably defended by Gardner and Elliott,P.
                                        Some top end shuffling on the FA market, but no reports of any major strengthening moves reached this coaches ears.

                                        MLB4 - 19-8 week 3
                                        Two series wins on the road followed by a loss at home to a strong Blue Jays team resulted in a 5-4 week which but for a few bad bounces could have been somewhat better.

                                        MLB7 - 88-38 week 14
                                        Trainer duly improved this week. On the field we narrowly beat the Marlins before dispatching the Rockies and Reds.
                                        One of the quirks of a managed team becoming unmanaged is that you sometimes see players that have been training up in the minors appearing on the FA list. So it was with rookie CF Roberto Rincon from the Yankees who has total form of 23.
                                        Oakland snapped up the catching mega-prospect Tony Young.

                                        MLB21 - 49-23 week 8
                                        Even the Brewers weren't immune to the general malaise, although not the easiest week in the fixture calendar. We lost to the Twins (Craig) and Angels (Patrick) before sweeping the Athletics (Rob).
                                        The Royals and Rays both continue to close up, meaning the second half of the season is not just the usual scrap for HFA.
                                        Probably just a coincidence and nothing to do with previous comments, but the Pirates slumped to a 2-7 week meaning the NL Central isn't closed just yet. The Reds and Astros both made efforts to strengthen their teams.
                                        The Diamondbacks looked ominously tasty in seeing off the Dodgers, Pirates and Phillies.

                                        Marc

                                      • k157tdf
                                        Message 19 of 19 , 11 Oct 04:17
                                          A nice improvement in the senior week (6-3, 7-2, 5-4, 7-2, 7-2)

                                          MLB1 - 45-27 week 8
                                          Michael Stewart's Red Sox continue to impress, opening up with a sweep of the Orioles - we'll be asking for tips. Things evened out after that, The White Sox sweeping the Red Sox, and we were fortunate to get anything at all against the Mariners. The Orioles went on to defeat the Rangers and 6-3 was as good as any AL team got.
                                          In the NL it was different - the Phillies and Cardinals both posted 7-2, and so did the Rockies reversing the 3-game swing they suffered to the Dodgers the previous week.

                                          MLB2 - 50-22 week 8
                                          The AL looks settled already and it was the Rangers turn to occupy the #1 ranking after this week. Could there be a longer term switch in the balance of power in the offing - the Athletics signed Mitch Maier from the Royals as they look to become future contenders. The switch hitting CF is the kind of player you can build a lineup around.
                                          In the NL the Nationals renegotiated Hamilton's contract downwards, not that they have missed him all that much. On balance probably a good week for the Reds, posting more wins than any of their trailing rivals while losing some ground to all 3 division leaders.

                                          MLB4 - 24-12 week 4
                                          Troy's Athletics gave us a right pasting in front of our own fans and we did well / were fortunate to recover as well as we did. We signed the Nats' Rich Hill as part of a move to reduce the wages of Penny who is a bit under par this season.
                                          In the NL East the Mets made it a notional three-way tussle for the division and on paper they appear to have the easier interleague week. Of course the Nats are no longer managed so the Mets and Braves should prevail eventually.

                                          MLB7 - 95-40 week 15
                                          We still find ourselves in the unusual position of #4 ranked team in the NL (and hence #4 in the league). Among the top 4 the Padres were surprisingly swept by the Pirates and we lost to the Cardinals.
                                          The managed teams in the AL look to have done enough to claim a postseason berth, but it is the Yankees who are enjoying an 11 game win sequence.

                                          MLB21 - 56-25 week 9
                                          7-2 looks a good week, but we suffered two heavy defeats to the Royals and were hardly inspiring against the two weakest teams in the AL. The Royals moved to within 5, and are now also level with the Rays, having a better run difference than both their rivals.
                                          We signed OF Willits from the Dodgers to cover the sudden retirement of Orlando Palmeiro. Also in LA the Angels continue to release talent in a serious restructuring of their squad.

                                          Marc