MLB2/21 Spoilers

  • jgick72
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
      SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

      MLB2: Not sure what my pitchers were playing at against the Mets, but giving them a 3 run head-start in the 1st innings of every game unsurprisingly didn't prove to be a very successful tactic! With the Mets finally opening up a bit of a lead in the division, that's probably the end of our play-off hopes, although that might be for the best, given that we don't really seem capable of challenging for the title with this team.

      Things are hotting up in the AL play-off race with the Yankees, Red Sox & Orioles now separated by only 3 games in the East and the Royals drawing level with the Tigers in the Central.

      And a welcome back to MLB2 for Fles - now with the Athletics. Not a bad place to land, with bags of LPs in the bank (although time running out to spend it!) and in the weakest division in the league (yes, even weaker than the NL East!!)

      MLB21: Although it wasn't too convincing at times, it was good to see that we can still pull an 8-1 week out of the bag. It was good enough to return us to the top of the NL West, but with the Dodgers still going strong, we only have a 1 game cushion. The way we're both playing though, the Astros (/Pirates) might have to start worrying about the Wild Card, which not so long ago seemed fairly likely to be heading to the Central runner-up.

      The draft list's out and it's looking pretty weak tbh - certainly not too many stand-out stars in the 1st round. With the D'backs likely to be picking a few places earlier than in previous years, I'm hopeful that we can pick up a "difference maker" somewhere though.

      Jon
      MLB2 Nationals / MLB21 D'backs

    • jgick72
      Message 2 of 9 , 11 Jan
        SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

        MLB2: Another so-so week for the Nationals, but with the rest of the NL East stinking the place out, we can just coast to the divisional title and concentrate on (hopefully!) being in good shape for the post-season. The NL play-off places look pretty much decided already, with the Reds pulling out an 11 game lead over the Dodgers for the Wild Card. The AL race is more interesting, with the AL Central still wide open and the Athletics not yet totally adrift of either the AL West lead or the Wild Card.

        Off the field, we re-signed Greinke. His Nationals career hasn't really taken off yet, but hopefully he'll take this opportunity to start to show us what he's really made of.

        MLB21: Things continue to heat up in the ultra-competitive NL, with the Astros responding best with a 10 win streak to reclaim the NL Central lead (& go top of the NL overall), while the reigning champs are in danger of falling off the back of the race. The D'backs keep hold of the Wild Card for now, but with the Pirates in close pursuit.

        > Marc wrote: We lost Donald Veal to the Diamondbacks which has surprised us

        Surprised as in "Dammit - I really wanted that guy back" or as in "Wow! Can't believe someone shelled out good LPs for him"?! ;-) I'm confident that Veal will be a great addition to our pitching corps, but then I felt the same about Feliz, the guy he's replacing, and he turned out to be a bit of a dud!

        Jon

      • k157tdf
        Message 3 of 9 , 12 Jan
          >> Marc wrote: We lost Donald Veal to the Diamondbacks which has surprised us
          >Jon wrote: Surprised as in "Dammit - I really wanted that guy back" or as in "Wow! Can't believe someone shelled out good LPs for him"?! ;-) I'm confident that Veal will be a great addition to our pitching corps, but then I felt the same about Feliz, the guy he's replacing, and he turned out to be a bit of a dud!

          It was one of those things. I simply assumed we would get him back. Crespo announced his retirement the turn before which delayed me bidding for Veal. So I bid for him this week and lost out. Veal has spent three seasons around the top of our bullpen so I definitely do rate him, even if I don't absolutely trust him. This season we had already signed Miller to lead the 'pen and expected Veal to come back at #2. Is Feliz GGGx ? We might sign him for the #3 relief spot once his wages drop.

        • jgick72
          Message 4 of 9 , 12 Jan
            > Marc wrote: Is Feliz GGGx ?

            He's even better on paper (EGGF), but even worse on the field (6.80 ERA). He seemed to do well enough with the Blue Jays last season though, so if he's still on the list in a week or two, I'll probably be tempted to re-sign him myself.

            Jon

          • craigj1971@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , 13 Jan
              I also bid for Veal but not only was my bid lower than that of the D'backs I saw, for the first time in my brief GPBB career, that free agent bids are processed after special actions and before income is applied so I didn't actually have enough LP any way at the point the bid was processed.

              I would have loved to have gotten him - a "top of the bullpen" pitcher for Marc's Brewers is a bang on ace for my Twins!

            • eaglealan64
              Message 6 of 9 , 13 Jan
                ---In gameplanbaseball@..., <craigj1971@...> wrote :

                > I also bid for Veal but not only was my bid lower than that of the D'backs I saw, for the first time in my brief
                > GPBB career, that free agent bids are processed after special actions and before income is applied so I
                > didn't actually have enough LP any way at the point the bid was processed.

                Yes you can only spend what is printed on your turn sheet, apart from the 50% of the value you get from waiving the player.

                Here's a note Danny published some time back:-

                "Order of Special Actions:
                I've been asked to clarify the order in which special actions are processed, so here goes.

                Note that it doesn't matter which action (1-5) you write them in, unless it's the same action (so an ACTIVATE action 1 is processed before ACTIVATE action 2):-

                Before Games
                ACTIVATE, PROMOTE, RELEASE (note that players waived are placed temporarily on a "waive squad"), changes to game parameters, PLATOON, PINCH, NEWPOS, lineups.

                After Games FANS, STADIUM, MERC, COACH, TRAINER, MINORS, REHAB, Form changes, Stadium changes, ACCEPTS, OFFERS, LISTs, Free Agent Bids, Free Agent Signings, Waivers (from the "Waive Squad"), Income and Wages, Form Updates.

                Waive Squad Note that one of the wrinkles of the waive squad is that in preseason (and only preseason) you can waive a player and still select him the same turn (because he's on the Waive squad when games are processed). It's a minor wrinkle, and I can't see it being much use, but it's an option that's there if you want it. Outside of preseason, it doesn't apply.

                Renaming and financial actions (in processing order:- FANS, STADIUM, MERC, COACH, TRAINER, REHAB, RENAME, SWAP, SCOUT, STATS, SIZE, SURFACE and BUILDING) plus free agent bids (see section 8) are processed after games have been run but before income and wages for the turn are processed, so the losing points you have available for all financial actions are your LP balance at the end of the previous turn. "

              • craigj1971@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 9 , 15 Jan
                  Thanks Alan, that's very useful.

                • jgick72
                  Message 8 of 9 , 24 Aug
                    SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                    MLB2: A decent week against three of the weaker AL teams, but it should probably have been better - I'm pretty disappointed to have lost the series at the Angels, whose bullpen were near-dead through exhaustion before we even started. Nevertheless, with the Mets struggling against a much stronger line-up, we still managed to pull 3 games further ahead at the top of the East.

                    MLB21: In the cut-throat NL West, a solid 8-1 week saw the D'backs hit the top of the table for the first time this year (but only by run differential), with the Rockies having their first stumble of the season. As we welcome them to Chase Field next, we'll hopefully be able to kick 'em while they're down! ;-p

                    Welcome to another new name (to me anyway) - Joseph Grillis at the Mets. They're in a bit of a sorry state at the moment, but the new guy at least has a pile of cash to change things around and plenty of season left to spend it in.

                    Jon

                  • jgick72
                    Message 9 of 9 , 18 Oct 07:15
                      SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

                      MLB2: The Nationals are in cruise control right now, going 8-1 & 9-0 over the last 2 weeks. We'd be top of the NL if it wasn't for the Rockies being in similar excellent form, but I'm not too bothered about that ... which is fortunate, because an entirely-predictable injury to Bowen, coupled with our decision to drop Hamilton back on the FA list, leaves us having to field 5* (& not even a good 5*!) catcher Hume for the next 15 games. Our strong overall form should keep us fairly buoyant, but it seems highly unlikely that we can continue at our recent pace. To be honest though, that might be no bad thing - we've got a 15 game cushion at the top of the division, so can take a few losses and the accompanying LPs, as long as we don't completely lose our current momentum.

                      We're only halfway through the season, but already the 8 play-off places are starting to look fairly settled. The Reds are most at risk with a "mere" 7 game lead in the NL Wild Card race, but on recent form, it's hard to see any of the chasing pack successfully hunting them down. Beyond that though, I'd say the play-offs are looking far from predictable - you could make a decent case for any of those 8 going on to win it all.

                      MLB21: Out of form and facing strong AL opposition, I think a 5-4 week was about as good as we could have hoped for. With the Rockies in a bit of a slump and the Dodgers having to make up lost ground after that nightmare start to the season, the D'backs are in a pretty strong position at the top of the division (and the NL overall), but could really do with getting our mojo back before the end of the season.

                      Very happy to welcome back Alex Perez on reduced wages - if he can rediscover his form from previous years, that could prove to be bargain of the season!